RIP RPI (NET)

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gym from delhi

Re: RIP RPI (NET)

Postby gym from delhi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 am

Even though there's a 10 pt maximum value, I hate to see margin of victory in the calculations.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Margin of victory is a stupid indicator
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
WCWIII

Postby WCWIII » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 am

An example of trying to fix something that wasn't really broken - any win/loss grossly misplaced in a quadrant could be discussed by the Committee outside of the computers.

I feel bad for all the internet "RPI guys" - rpiforecast.com was particularly good. I even sometimes went to UD Pride's very good RPI page ... followed by a quick scan of the latest Xavier-envy forum discussion.

The RPI purposely did not take margin of victory into consideration because of possible point shaving issues. But since spreads and over/unders are pretty well publicized, I don't think including (especially with a 10pt cap) MOV much matters.

Mario has done a fantastic job in scheduling the last several years. Hope he gets his own machine learning code up and running to make sure Xavier continues to be well placed come tournament time.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”