Ouch!

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

Ouch!

Postby SC in DC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm

4 Stars and now a 5. Nova strikes again!

https://www.vuhoops.com/2018/9/4/178187 ... commitment
muskienick

Re: Ouch!

Postby muskienick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 am

I think that, overall, it is a good thing for the Big East to have some of its elite members attract 5-star talent to their teams. Xavier has had precious few, if any, 5-star recruits sign on as freshmen (although Drew Lavender did transfer to Xavier after spending his first two years at Oklahoma). If the Muskies continue to draw a bevy of 4-star recruits and keep them for 3-4 years, that is just as good, if not better (stability-wise) than the Dukes and UK's re-loading a bunch of 5-stars on a yearly basis and losing most of them after a year's worth of service.
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
NajiTakeover

Postby NajiTakeover » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:54 am

muskienick wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 am
I think that, overall, it is a good thing for the Big East to have some of its elite members attract 5-star talent to their teams. Xavier has had precious few, if any, 5-star recruits sign on as freshmen (although Drew Lavender did transfer to Xavier after spending his first two years at Oklahoma). If the Muskies continue to draw a bevy of 4-star recruits and keep them for 3-4 years, that is just as good, if not better (stability-wise) than the Dukes and UK's re-loading a bunch of 5-stars on a yearly basis and losing most of them after a year's worth of service.
I agree with muskienick. Nova's ascension to the national spotlight and their recent increase in recruited talent is good for BE recruiting overall. Unlike the WCC and their dominant team (Gonzaga), the BE consistently gets 5+ teams in the tourney each year, so teams in the BE could attract 4 to 5-star talent on a consistent basis as our league continues to solidify its reworked foundation. One would think Xavier is the next team in line to follow Nova's upsurge in attracting high profile recruits, especially with Steele taking charge (as he has shown this summer).
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Generally don't disagree, I'm just afraid that if Nova keeps snagging this type of player every couple of yrs + 2 or more 4 stars EVERY year, we wind up like St Mary's is to the Zags and the BE becomes Nova's league like the Zags own theirs! Obviously the BE is a far superior league top to bottom, but just don't want one team to dominate--like Nova is.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:35 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:51 pm
Generally don't disagree, I'm just afraid that if Nova keeps snagging this type of player every couple of yrs + 2 or more 4 stars EVERY year, we wind up like St Mary's is to the Zags and the BE becomes Nova's league like the Zags own theirs! Obviously the BE is a far superior league top to bottom, but just don't want one team to dominate--like Nova is.
As long as they are sitting in the Catbird Seat of NCAA Basketball you can't blame the kids for wanting to play there. All X has to do is beat them and let the chips fall where they may.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 am

It’s not where you start....it’s where you finish.

Xavier might not be getting 5 star RECRUITS, but by the time they are done MANY of them develop into 5 star PLAYERS. If that can continue under Steele I like the chances of remaining one of the best programs in the country. I really really want X to get to a final 4, something we couldn’t even imagine happening not so many years ago, but I don’t want X to do it at the expense of losing its dignity and integrity. If it takes doing that to get those 5 Stars, then I hope they never get them. Villanova has shown that a university can still retain its character and attract top talent at the same time. I have no doubt that X can do it too. But as long as they concentrate on recruiting 5 star PEOPLE, and developing them into 5 Star players, I’m OK with where they are at.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd like 5 star, McDonalds all American players but UK has had a multitude of both, as does Duke, and they are not always the NC. Talent is great but so is chemistry, the kind between players not the chemical kind Anti-Homer. Trust Travis, he has a plan.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”