a barstool look at the Muskies

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

a barstool look at the Muskies

Postby muskieman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 pm

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstool ... 7043803412

I may be wrong, will not be a first, but I disagree with his prediction that X is in the middle pack of the Big East.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Re: a barstool look at the Muskies

Postby kyzrex » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 am

I’m not so sure that he isn’t correct. That’s not a knock on X, but a honest realization that Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, and even SJU have improved and that X isn’t as good as it was last year. I think that all of these teams are solid top 40 teams, and it may be that we see weekly changes to the standings. I wouldn’t be surprised to see all of these teams have very successful preconfernce performances and then start beating each other up during the conference part of the schedule. All of these teams may find themselves ranked in the top 25 at some time during the year, including X.

I’m afraid that this is going to one of those seasons where there will be people here that have to be talked off the ledge from time to time during the year. :lol:
#WHYNOTX?
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 am

That would be a pretty fair judgment.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
Pandinus

Postby Pandinus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 am

...... realization that Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, and even SJU have improved ....

Seton Hall has got to be taking a step back, right?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 am

I thing that many focus on what X has lost and not what X still has in their arsenal. I have heard some really good reports about Q and Jones' improvements and in the tradition of next one up I think X will be just as potent and better on D. Naji will be Naji with more experience and the new guys have their strengths which Travis will use where needed. Sure the teams mentioned are better and that might mean more losses but I still believe that X will be right up there contesting for the first place. If you look at anything why isn't nova considered to be down after all it is not like they didn't lose about everyone including guys they were probably counting on for this season. Maybe I just believe that the grass is no greener on the other side of the fence.

BTW tweeting his final schools Quinn Slazinski (sp) 2019 just released a top 5 of Xavier, DePaul, Louisville, Michigan State and Wake Forest. While not a top priority for X is still news for some. 6'8" three point shooter
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 am

Pandinus wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 am
...... realization that Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, and even SJU have improved ....

Seton Hall has got to be taking a step back, right?
They have some quality transfers, especially Thompson from Syracuse. Depending on how well they do, along with their freshman, they will be right in the middle of the pack. Just like X. They might not be as good as last year, but might end up finishing higher in the league than they did last year. They may also become a higher seeded team than they were last year when they were an 8. They could also end up falling apart....but you can say the same thing for just about any BE team. Lots of unknowns right now.
#WHYNOTX?
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:21 am

Enjoyed the article, especially the part about improving defense. Less concerned about the offense, we will score, but we have to defend!
Great chance for Steele to focus on defense, create a quality press and for God's sake hang onto a lead!

26+6=1
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 pm

26+6=1 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:21 am
Enjoyed the article, especially the part about improving defense. Less concerned about the offense, we will score, but we have to defend!
Great chance for Steele to focus on defense, create a quality press and for God's sake hang onto a lead!

26+6=1
Agreed. Fortunately, now X will have a coach who understands defense doesn't mean outscoring the other team.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 am

The projection seems reasonable. There are so many unknowns at this point that I'd say it was a bit generous with expectations but in the range of expectations.

Hopefully the coaching change is less seamless than indicated. By that I mean, hopefully he shakes of the defensive philosophy and makes better in game adjustments. The coach gets a pass on this year in my opinion. I have high expectations for the team now that Mack is gone but it may take a bit of time to get realized.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

madness31 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 am
The projection seems reasonable. There are so many unknowns at this point that I'd say it was a bit generous with expectations but in the range of expectations.

Hopefully the coaching change is less seamless than indicated. By that I mean, hopefully he shakes of the defensive philosophy and makes better in game adjustments. The coach gets a pass on this year in my opinion. I have high expectations for the team now that Mack is gone but it may take a bit of time to get realized.
Good point regarding the your comments on defensive philosophy. I have a buddy whose nickname is Lineup, and he always brings up the classless way Mack left, and his severe lack of defensive acumen. Keep the wise comments coming. I'm "p-ming" my buddy as we speak.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”