Big East Conference Schedule

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Big East Conference Schedule

Postby muskieman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:17 pm

The Big East will release its conference schedule for the 2018-19 college basketball season on Thursday per Jon Rothstein
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Re: Big East Conference Schedule

Postby muskieman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:16 pm

at DePaul Dec 29 2pm
Jan 2 vs Seton Hall 6:30
At Marquette Jan 6 12/4:30
Jan 9 vs Georgetown 6:30
Jan 13 Butler 12
At Nova Jan 18 8:30
Jan 23 Providence 6:30
Jan 26 Marquette 2 PM
At Georgetown Jan 31 8PM
At Creighton Feb 3 1/2 PM
Feb 9 DePaul 8PM
Feb 12 Creighton 8:30 PM
At Providence Feb 16 2PM
At Seton Hall Feb 20 7PM
Feb 24 Nova 1:30pm
At St Johns Feb 28 6:30pm
At Butler March 5 6PM
March 9 St Johns TDB
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

https://goxavier.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

to print out the complete schedule
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm

I have no clue what this year's team will do or what the new coach will do. However, the so called experts have placed Xavier to finish in the middle of the Big East ..around 5th at best, Villanova at 1 and Butler at 2. And they label the Big East Conference this year as a down year for the Conference. Also they ranked all the new Xavier recruits as a group at about 60th best in the country and all the individual recruits at 150 to 250 best in the country. The only thing which might make them better is all the transfer in players....from non ranked schools, if they can fit in . AT 5th in the BE....not likely to make THE DANCE, at all. So what is the good news???
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm
I have no clue what this year's team will do or what the new coach will do. However, the so called experts have placed Xavier to finish in the middle of the Big East ..around 5th at best, Villanova at 1 and Butler at 2. And they label the Big East Conference this year as a down year for the Conference. Also they ranked all the new Xavier recruits as a group at about 60th best in the country and all the individual recruits at 150 to 250 best in the country. The only thing which might make them better is all the transfer in players....from non ranked schools, if they can fit in . AT 5th in the BE....not likely to make THE DANCE, at all. So what is the good news???
the good news is basketball is played on hardwood and not on paper...or internet
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm
Hmmm, did those experts have Loyola (Chicago) pegged for the Final Four last year?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 am

I believe X only has 2 Saturday home games in Big East play. It is not an easy go with only 2 home games if Feb. They do get the last game of the season at home
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 am

You are right ..the game(s) are played on the hardwood. Also true, no one had Loyola Chicago in the FF. No one expected a number one seed/Virginia to lose their first game in the Dance or X to lose in the second game. Yes the games are played and not played /well on the hardwoods.
Also true , no one had Xavier beating National number one Saint Joseph in their Conference Tournament, then winning the Conference tournament, and then getting to the Elite 8 before losing by 3 points(i think) to Duke and just missing the FF...and that was 16 years ago. Xavier started that Conference tournament with a losing record before going on to many wins and the Elite 8....so, maybe history can repeat itself??? Maybe? Nothing is over till the fat lady sings. But I think I hear her warming up her voice ..lol/jk.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:44 am

Missing the tournament would be disappointing but perfectly reasonable with a new coach and departure of so much talent. That unfortunately should be the expectation but there is certainly upside potential. The coach is likely an upgrade to what we had but will obviously deal with some growing pains. The returning team has talent and I expect a big leap forward for most of them.

Scruggs can definitely improve upon what he did last year. I'd expect a big leap from Marshall as well.

I don't know what the upside is for Goodin or Jones but both are quality players. Hopefully Jones can add some post moves to his game so that he is more of an offensive force. Improved shooting from the outside for Goodin would be huge. This improvement is needed from Scruggs and Marshall as well.

I believe Harden will contribute. He hasn't seen a lot of court time yet but he played behind some great players that are now fighting for roster spots in the NBA. In his limited time, I felt he looked smooth most of the time. Getting garbage minutes with walk-ons makes it a bit tougher to evaluate as the game becomes erratic but when he played with scholarship players he looked to have potential.

It is probable that at least 1 of the 3 grad transfers will contribute in a big way with the other 1 or 2 being valuable roll players. Similarly we can hope at least 1 of the freshmen is able to add value this year. I don't know enough about the transfers or freshmen to know what to expect from them but seams reasonable to expect at least 1 to play a big role and several others to contribute positively.

If the team plays defense they should be able to compete. Definitely need improved shooting from the returning players and at least 1 of the new guys will need to hit outside shots as well.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 am
I believe X only has 2 Saturday home games in Big East play. It is not an easy go with only 2 home games if Feb. They do get the last game of the season at home
IF the schedule that started this thread is correct, the February game break down is 3 at home and 4 on the road... not a big deal I'd think

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”