Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

Jalen Gaffney

Postby X-Expert » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Committed to UConn
Anti-Homer

Re: Jalen Gaffney

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I was looking at 247Sports crystal ball predictions, and they have a 6'1" CG from Hopkinsville KY, Ky Ky Tandy, as going to X (67%), or Tenn (33%). He's ranked considerably higher than Gaffney, and is even rated higher than Bishop and Freemantle, though I'm excited about both of them as well. The good news is the 2 predictions from 247 which have him going to X came today, and from two analysts whose success rates are 70% and 75% respectively. The analyst who predicted him going to Tenn came on 9-18, and his success rate is the same as Mman's grade in General Studies, 58%.

I like X's chances.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Some UC fans i know have been counting on KyKy being a bearcat. Taking him away from UC would just be icing on the cake.. :D
#WHYNOTX?
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:31 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:08 pm
Some UC fans i know have been counting on KyKy being a bearcat. Taking him away from UC would just be icing on the cake.. :D
Indeed it would!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 pm
I was looking at 247Sports crystal ball predictions, and they have a 6'1" CG from Hopkinsville KY, Ky Ky Tandy, as going to X (67%), or Tenn (33%). He's ranked considerably higher than Gaffney, and is even rated higher than Bishop and Freemantle, though I'm excited about both of them as well. The good news is the 2 predictions from 247 which have him going to X came today, and from two analysts whose success rates are 70% and 75% respectively. The analyst who predicted him going to Tenn came on 9-18, and his success rate is the same as Mman's grade in General Studies, 58%.

I like X's chances.
That's pretty strange. one of the analyst that picked X also picked Ole Miss (both today). Another one that picked X just switched from Tenn six days ago. Hope he comes to X but looks like there is a lot of movement here with these analysts.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Tandy's father or step father(not sure which for sure) is somewhat well known around the junior circuits as being a side show, aka the ball brothers. I'm not sure how good of a fit he would be, or how solid he would be to get here even if he commits. It will be interesting to see where he lands. My guess is down south somewhere.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm

thecoach wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 pm
Tandy's father or step father(not sure which for sure) is somewhat well known around the junior circuits as being a side show, aka the ball brothers. I'm not sure how good of a fit he would be, or how solid he would be to get here even if he commits. It will be interesting to see where he lands. My guess is down south somewhere.
might be so but he has played against Gaffney, someone we all seemed to want, and he put some sweet moves on him. Just view some of the highlights of both players
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:14 am

muskieman wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm
thecoach wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 pm
might be so but he has played against Gaffney, someone we all seemed to want, and he put some sweet moves on him. Just view some of the highlights of both players
If Travis feels he would be a good fit, I'm all in. He looks very skilled
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 pm

I’m conflicted with Tandy. He’s obviously a very good player, as evidenced by offers from high majors like X, Tenn, and Fla (among other high majors), and a couple from high mid-majors in Wichita State and the Felines of Clifton. However, even though many AAU players are legends in their own minds, often fueled by an unrealistic parent (see Gates, Kaiser – his dad, not Kaiser), these two seem to be a mini-version of the Ball Family. When UK was considering KYKy and Dontaine Allen, KyKy and his Dad basically said he wouldn’t go to a place where he wouldn’t play. This is the 92nd best player and his dad saying this about a team who typically gets the top guards in the country.

He also trolled UK after they lost to KSU in the tourney, by tweeting “Blessed to receive an offer from KSU. Go Wildcats!” This was tweeted within 24 hours of the loss. Pretty curious and classless timing imo, and it apparently wasn’t missed by the UK coaching staff either. I like what I’ve seen from Steele so far, but his predecessor took 3 years before shedding the “deer in the headlights” look (see Crosstown Shootout, 2011, gross mismanagement), so the last thing he needs is a selfish or self-promoting player and family. I’m not saying Tandy definitely is that, but his history implies otherwise.

Seacrest out.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:30 am

While I certainly have no problem with anyone trolling UK anytime they have a chance... :lol: .....I also have concerns about the situation. Not the player, but the dad. I understand dads only wanting the best for their kids, but I’ve seen situations where the expectations and judged talent levels by the family do not match those of the coaches, and are not reality based. It’s not usualy a pretty situation. Many transfers have occurred because of this situation. I’d need to have the belief that the player is his own man, and won’t be overly influenced by outside forces, before I’d be all on board.

I will trust the X coaching staff though. No reason not to at this time. If they are all in favor of this then I have to believe that they have checked everything out and it’s either way overblown or not seen as a potential future problem. Or maybe the potential upside way overshadows the potential downside and they feel they should chance it? None of us know the whole story and until shown otherwise I see no reason to doubt the staff’s ability to judge talent and character.
#WHYNOTX?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”