KyKy Tandy Announcement @ 12:00 PM

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
webxu

Re: KyKy Tandy Announcement @ 12:00 PM

Postby webxu » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 am

madness31 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 am

Cage wasn't the most talented X player but he definitely helped the team win. He also owned Greg Oden and sealed X's win had the officials made the proper call. If the team has enough scorers and shooters than a Cage type player is a key piece to building a complete team.
Cage, I believe was Mr. Basketball in Indiana.. he was quite good.
X-man

Postby X-man » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Next year, we will have 13 scholarship players with pretty good balance by class and position. As it stands, here are the frontcourt players (7) next year by class: Jones (Sr), Marshall, Hanson (Jr), James (So), Freemantle, Ramsey, Miles (Fr). And here are the guards (6) next season: Goodin (Sr), Scruggs, Harden (Jr), Kennedy (So), Tandy, Bishop (Fr). I could see Miles red-shirting unless he develops his senior year. But man, will we be loaded!
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I didn't mean to imply Cage wasn't good. He was a huge part of the team, just not the primary scorer. That is why I said, if we have enough shooters and scorers then a player like him would be great. Every team should have a Cage type player. Someone who doesn't need the offense to run through them but will do everything to help the team win. He will score when needed, defend consistently, rebound and anything else to raise the play of the team.

This is a big class coming in so saving a scholarship or using it on a transfer could make a lot of sense. It is difficult to know what the team needs with so much turnover from last year and so many new faces joining the team this year and next. If there is a need then the coaches should fill it to the best of their ability. If there isn't a need then being bold and going after a 5 star could be a brilliant move. If you fall short, you pick up a transfer or save for the next class but if you land him then suddenly recruiting is at a whole new level. Getting that first 5 star opens the door to other 5 stars down the line choosing X. The coach will of course have to produce on the court for recruiting to snowball but it becomes more likely once you land that first elite player.

Player rankings of course are not an exact science and can be wrong. Additionally 4 stars can be better for a program if they produce at a high level for many years instead of leaving after a couple. Having a mix of both is probably ideal.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:42 am

XavierBob wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 pm
Steele sees Gardner as a Justin Cage type, tough do it all type of player. From all I’ve heard the staff agrees and really likes him. If he is Cage-like I’m all for it.
I'm pretty sure that NO coach has ever compared a recruit to a player who wasn't productive. It would be interesting to see the comments regarding recruits like Adrion Graves, Brian Walsh, Jay Canty, Makinde London (though I think in his case the fault lied elsewhere...look south), and other guys who were really good kids, but lacked the skill set to compete at their respective levels of competition.

If X lands him, I obviously hope I'm wrong. Cage is one of my all-time favorite players. He lacked great athleticism, but always seemed to make winning plays, and was of the most underrated player's in X's history.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Cage was tremendous for the period he was recruited in. Justin was a fighter and a "winner". A coach's dream. Welcome KyKy! Honored you have chosen our Xavier family to pursue your dreams. This young man is a natural scorer, looks like a slightly smaller version of Jordan Crawford - and that aint all bad. ;-)

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”