X loses by 10 to OSU

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

X loses by 10 to OSU

Postby muskieman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:07 pm

in their secret scrimmage. Q did not play because of injury. Jones and Naji were the best players for X.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Re: X loses by 10 to OSU

Postby skyhops » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Scoring particularly three point shooting is going to be an issue this year, which understandable considering who we have lost. OSU lost a lot as well.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:14 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:18 pm
Scoring particularly three point shooting is going to be an issue this year, which understandable considering who we have lost. OSU lost a lot as well.
I heard they were really bad at the 3 pointers today but then with Q out that might have been the reason. Just points out why a couple PGs are important.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 pm

While we certainly expect Naji and Tyrique to be stalwarts this year I had hoped the transfer grads would have made some heavy noise.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:09 am

olsingledigit wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 pm
While we certainly expect Naji and Tyrique to be stalwarts this year I had hoped the transfer grads would have made some heavy noise.

I’m sure they will. I’m also sure that it will take them some time to get comfortable with the system and the players around them. Don’t read to much into this.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:24 am

Castlin, Welage, and or Harden will have to stop up and knock down shots especially with our lack of depth.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:27 am

If they lost by 30, I'd be concerned. This is obviously a completely different team in terms of personnel and skillset, and I'm sure the coaching staff is experimenting with a lot of different combinations and sets. X won't win a lot of games with three-point shooting, but they have the best trio of slashers in Q, Scruggs, and Marshall, since the 10' team with JCraw, TU, & Lyons.

I think Steele has the right mentality of wanting to play fast, and understanding he has the personnel to create offense with defense. The challenge in close games will be under 5 minutes since they do not have guys like JP, Kantner, &Tre, who had a good probability of scoring if they got the ball. Conversely, they won't be seriously handicapped on the defensive side when other teams would run isolation plays on whomever Tre was defending last year. Nova expertly exploited this every year. As usual, AH will support the team unconditionally and adopt the glass 3/4 full mentality.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Where was this “secret scrimmage” played?
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm

If I recall, we lost last year without both Tre and JP. I figured Q would not play. I have a feeling that he won't play this Thursday, either.

Wasn't Trevon's injury last Fall, his shoulder, as well? I believe JP's was an ankle.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 am

I would think X will struggle all year shooting especially against quick defensive teams. When you had the inside/outside presence like we had last year, X was hard to guard which also opened up shots for Goodin and Marshall (even though they didn't shoot well). this year, teams will lay off Goodin, Scruggs, and Marshall and dare them to shoot, as well as being able to double on Hankins/Jones. Hopefully, Welage, kennedy, James, and Harden can provide some help this year on the outside or it will be a tough offense to watch. Would love to hear how X did on defense as that is supposed to be their strength this year.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”