Tonight's Exhibition Game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

Tonight's Exhibition Game

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 am

Can't make it down to Cintas for the game tonight and there is no tv and no radio, so I am hoping that some of you Cincy guys (or ladies) could post some updates and thoughts during and of course after the game.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
edgecliff hall

Re: Tonight's Exhibition Game

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Single. I'll be sure to tune in tonight.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm

X wins by 20+
Box score: Q didn’t play
https://kwcpanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?i ... ath=mbball
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 pm

harryfe wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm
X wins by 20+
Make that by 30, w/o 2 of the top 7 players. Marshall is going to be a 2nd team BE player. Even though the competition was D-2, some of the drives and spin moves, particularly one in the lane where he banked a 5-foot fadeaway off of a spin, couldn't be guarded by many D-1 guys. Welage's shooting percentages weren't great, but he has a very nice stroke. I think the consistency will come in time.

Jone's low post moves are still limited to only a couple, but he is very polished shooting that half hook. Scruggs looked confident and was productive. Again, the competition tonight wasn't good, but I think this team will surprise some of the pundits.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Why didn't Hankins play?
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:47 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 pm
harryfe wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm
X wins by 20+
Make that by 30, w/o 2 of the top 7 players. Marshall is going to be a 2nd team BE player. Even though the competition was D-2, some of the drives and spin moves, particularly one in the lane where he banked a 5-foot fadeaway off of a spin, couldn't be guarded by many D-1 guys. Welage's shooting percentages weren't great, but he has a very nice stroke. I think the consistency will come in time.

Jone's low post moves are still limited to only a couple, but he is very polished shooting that half hook. Scruggs looked confident and was productive. Again, the competition tonight wasn't good, but I think this team will surprise some of the pundits.
They actually won by 29 which is 20+ and not 30+ unless you learned in algebra at X to round it up
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 pm

There was a lot of concern in the spring if Harden might transfer. Many thought he would be a big help this year. He scored 2 points in 19 minutes. Hit 1 for 5. But it’s just one exhibition game against an inferior team.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 am

Attending the game with Skyhops Jr last night. My sources said that if the grad transfer from Dakota went to X vs Gonzaga that Hardin was going to transfer, but since he didn't he is staying. Hopefully Hardin can become a solid contributor, but I have not seen much so far. There is a significant drop off after Q and Scruggs, but I think we all knew that depth would be an issue at guard.
Naji looks like an NBA player and I have to agree again with Homer that I can't imagine him not on an all league team at seasons end. Tyrique looked good as well although he could have had 30 points today, but good effort. Really impressed with Scruggs, who really seems confident offensively and we all know his defense will be there. Welage although miss a number of three's looks to be the shooter we will need. He has a nice stroke and height to shoot over smaller defenders. I'm sure Gates is kicking himself for leaving early because we could use him. Everyone else played pretty much as advertised both Freshmen looked solid and I believe James will see valuable minutes. Depth is an issue, but we will be one of the tougher teams in the league.
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am

Enjoyed the game and liked the energy of the team. They should improve over the season. Have to ding them on defense though. Understand that there were makeshift lineups but a small Div 2 team shouldn't out rebound Xavier and they scored more threes than we did (sound familiar?).

26+6=1
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:16 am

I too am wondering -why didn't Hankins play. Without Goodin and or Hankins we can kiss the season a bust. Interesting!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”