Time for a JP Fix

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Time for a JP Fix

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 pm

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Re: Time for a JP Fix

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanx for the fix, muskieman, and let's hope JP has a really top line agent.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:22 pm

It will be interesting to see if this is the product of improved coaching or just a big game that JP is prone to get from time to time. JP has all the tools to be great. Hopefully this is the start to an amazing year.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Not to throw cold water on JP--I love the guy like 99.9% of X fans--but his best bet to make $$ in the game is go overseas. He's really not a NBA player. Second game 1-8, 0 for 2 from 3, 2 bds, 4pts. Small sample but I watched him in preseason, and he can't play fast enough or strong enough for NBA. Defense will never cut it at that level.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm

No doubt the NBA game is faster than it once was and definitely focused on offense. Most teams however have smart players that are not primary scorers. They see the floor well, take advantage of opportunities and simply make guys around them better. JP can fill this role. I do however agree that playing overseas is his best opportunity to get paid. He can get a great contract overseas immediately. He is likely to get less in the NBA unless he can get significant playing time.

He should give it a year and see how much progress he makes. If close to where he needs to be then another year. After that he shouldn't waste anymore time unless he is certain the payoff is the next year. There are plenty of former X players he can consult with on Europe and other leagues.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am

From what I have read on other posts, the 2-way contracts for both JP and Trevon are about $85,000. Not bad for one year out of college doing what you love and working and traveling eight months of a year. I think that Stainbrook made about the same his first year overseas. I have got to believe that most of our "guys" who play overseas for 10 years will probably average $100-125 a year, enjoy the culture and travel, invest a great deal (less taxes) and then return with their degree and much more money than the average graduate after ten years---and what a terrific experience. Of course if you are Sato or Doellman and you play in the highest leagues, you will be in the $2 million+ a year range. JP could be another Doellman. On the other hand, being a role player in the NBA, like Aaron Williams or Derrick Strong, will also get them to the $2 million a year range.

Either way, both Tre and JP have great opportunities and an enjoyable ten years ahead of them.

By the way, think back about that recruiting class. Add Sumner, O'Mara and London. All are playing professionally.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 pm

I think JP and Tre are doing the right thing this year. It likely makes sense for them to stay the course another year if they are progressing toward the goal. I suspect they are passing up more money by staying in the US but they are making enough to make that a solid decision. The dream is to play in the NBA for most so pursue it as long as there is real hope and you are making a comfortable living.

Each year the decision becomes more difficult as basketball is an option for only so many years. There is also risk of injury that could shorten a career. $1 million in Europe which is taxed heavily still goes a long way to setting up a retirement. The travel opportunity and cultural experience has so much additional added benefit. It likely enhances a person's resume long after basketball ends. Being a star in Europe vs. a role or bench player in the NBA may also have other advantages.

Hopefully they both have long healthy careers that pay well somewhere around the world. NBA would be very cool but experiences in other countries may be even better.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:57 am

Last nites line for JP:
25 5-11 2-7 0-0 10 0 2 2 1 4 3 3 0 0 12
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Another good game for JP. He needs to cut down on his TOs. He is mostly making up for them with steals but he needs to take care of the ball better. The team is winning and his overall stat line is very good. 1 great game, 1 bad game and a good game thus far.

I haven't watched any of these games but apparently can online. Does anyone know how many of his turnovers are offensive fouls? It changes the perception a bit of the TO is due to aggressive play, especially if it is a close/questionable call. dribbling off your leg or throwing the ball away is much worse even though the outcome is the same.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:51 am

Don't bother watching their last two games--JP's line--DNP both games. Not sure what's up.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”