Steele not Mack!

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

Steele not Mack!

Postby SC in DC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:19 pm

One of ESPN writers got one of his predictions wrong, again!!

7. Chris Mack will win national coach of the year after leading Louisville back to the NCAA tournament: The hype about Mack surrounds his 2019 recruiting class, a group currently ranked No. 1 on ESPN.com. But Cardinals fans won't have to wait that long to see Mack showcase his coaching prowess. The Cardinals lost four of the five top scorers from a team that was on the bubble in the final weeks of last season and probably one fluky finish against Virginia from earning a berth. With V.J. King and other respectable returnees on the roster, however, Mack will guide the Cardinals to the NCAA tournament and win every meaningful coach of the year award before welcoming the top recruiting class in the country next season.
madness31

Re: Steele not Mack!

Postby madness31 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm

If Mack does have the #1 recruiting class, it will be difficult for him to miss the tournament. Yes he is a mediocre coach at best but an abundance of talent is hard to keep down. He will certainly underperform what should be accomplished but that could still be an elite 8 if the talent is truly that good.

Most thought Mack was a great coach while at X so getting this award would not be surprising. Maybe there will be more scrutiny about his actual coaching but doubtful. Most seem to assign wins with great coaching and losses with bad coaching. They ignore the game time decisions.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 am

madness31 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm
If Mack does have the #1 recruiting class, it will be difficult for him to miss the tournament. Yes he is a mediocre coach at best but an abundance of talent is hard to keep down. He will certainly underperform what should be accomplished but that could still be an elite 8 if the talent is truly that good.

Most thought Mack was a great coach while at X so getting this award would not be surprising. Maybe there will be more scrutiny about his actual coaching but doubtful. Most seem to assign wins with great coaching and losses with bad coaching. They ignore the game time decisions.
this is a completely ridiculous and FALSE statement. he is Xavier's winningest coach of ALL TIME. get off the hate of Mack. the guy can coach.
webxu

Postby webxu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 am
madness31 wrote:

this is a completely ridiculous and FALSE statement. he is Xavier's winningest coach of ALL TIME. get off the hate of Mack. the guy can coach.
Mack is a good coach, but I think the greatness of him is a bit overrated.

2010- Sweet 16 ( Millers Guys)
2011- 15-1 A-10 first round exit
2012- Sweet 16 ( beat a 15 seed to get there)
2013- Barf
2014- First Four exit
2015 Sweet 16 (Beat a 14 seed to get there)
2016 Top 5 team 2nd round exit.
2017 Elite 8 ( Tre went nuts, but this was Macks his masterpiece)
2018 Top 5 team 2nd round exit.

Not saying we wouldn't have beat Duke and Baylor in 12 and 15, but..... take those two away and what did he really?
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 pm

I do not hate Mack. I do not know Mack. He is simply an overrated coach. He underperformed every year but 2. He won a lot of games but he should have won more. He was a great recruiter. He developed several players each class but didn't get max production from the majority of the team. He was never strong at in game adjustments and was terrible on the defensive end. Much of his success came from "hero" basketball where he would simply give the star the ball and hope he carried the team. Very little focus on proper shot selection, forced action, etc.

Obviously his strategy worked a large percentage of the time but the reason he underperformed in the tournament most years is because the strategy is easily defended by good teams and good coaches. He is a solid coach but not great. His teams will generally always be ranked and make the tournament but they will rarely go deep. Eventually he may get a star player to take him to the final 4 and possibly beyond but it will likely require a special player.

Mack did improve a lot over the years. He was terrible early on but developed some nice out of bounds plays and his later teams showed much better shot selection than his early teams.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Also, it was Tre and Macura that went off in 2017. Tre fell apart in the loss while Macura continued to play well. Had Tre continued his hot play, the team would have advanced. No doubt advancing in the tournament requires strong play but great coaches find a way to get more production from other guys when the star is struggling or find ways to get stops.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

webxu wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am
longliveskip wrote:
madness31 wrote:

2013- Barf
2014- First Four exit

Not saying we wouldn't have beat Duke and Baylor in 12 and 15, but..... take those two away and what did he really?
Spot on assessment. I think he was a good coach, and probably tied as the 3rd best with Gillen. His inability to win the big games as a prohibitive favorite in the tourney, and also lose to the best team in the league by an average margin of 25, when X was typically the 2nd best team in the conference, was a sign of his lack of ability to adjust, in my very humble opinion.

Anyone who quotes the tired "most wins in team history," argument, probably also thinks Cronin is the best coach in UC history, as he is the only UC coach to have back to back 30 win teams. He has also gone to the SW 16 only once. Once in 12 years! Thank you UC for employing that fraud of a coach.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:56 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm
webxu wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 am
longliveskip wrote:

2013- Barf
2014- First Four exit

Spot on assessment. I think he was a good coach, and probably tied as the 3rd best with Gillen. His inability to win the big games as a prohibitive favorite in the tourney, and also lose to the best team in the league by an average margin of 25, when X was typically the 2nd best team in the conference, was a sign of his lack of ability to adjust, in my very humble opinion.

Anyone who quotes the tired "most wins in team history," argument, probably also thinks Cronin is the best coach in UC history, as he is the only UC coach to have back to back 30 win teams. He has also gone to the SW 16 only once. Once in 12 years! Thank you UC for employing that fraud of a coach.
when were we ever "PROHIBITIVE" favorite in tourney game and LOST? and i mean favored by at least double digits and lost? how many times did that happen?

we lost to the best team in the league by those margins - was that the same team that one the National Title 2 out of 3 years? you mean that one?

you guys have ZERO clue what in-game adjustments Coach Mack made because you're not in the huddle or on the sidelines.......EVER. i truly appreciate the basketball "internet geniuses" - ya know, the ones who can come on this site and MMQB everything that Coach Mack SHOULD HAVE done in the game the night before? you guys the smartest basketball minds on the planet - 24 hours after the fact.

it's so ridiculous.

i'm actually rooting for Mack to get to a FF at Louisville.

but then you guys will come on here and say it was just because he's able to recruit the best players and has nothing to do with his ability to coach.

these takes are so laughable.
webxu

Postby webxu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am

Don't get me wrong, I would still be very happy with Mack as our coach.. he is a good coach and great recruiter, all I was pointing out was some of his success should have been taken with a grain of salt.. I truly believe if he had stuck around here for another 3-5 years we would have had a FF, no doubt.

thanks a lot Papa John....
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 am

webxu wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am
Don't get me wrong, I would still be very happy with Mack as our coach.. he is a good coach and great recruiter, all I was pointing out was some of his success should have been taken with a grain of salt.. I truly believe if he had stuck around here for another 3-5 years we would have had a FF, no doubt.

thanks a lot Papa John....
LOL!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”