IUPUI 11-6-18 Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mumuskie87

Re: IUPUI 11-6-18 Game Thread

Postby mumuskie87 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Welage's hot shooting has kept X afloat in the 2H.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:19 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm
We have only two guards that can handle the ball Q and Scruggs, but more alarming is the lack of effort on D. Marshall looks terrible
+1, ball handling. This isn't the type of team who can really exploit it.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am

skyhops wrote:
We have only two guards that can handle the ball Q and Scruggs, but more alarming is the lack of effort on D. Marshall looks terrible
i'm gonna give Naji a "pass" this game because he was sick for 4 days straight and hasn't practiced but i can't stand watching when he either makes a turnover, a bad shot, etc and then literally WALKS back on D after it. i hope that kind of s#$% changes because if i keep seeing that, he will become my least favorite Xavier player to watch.

our D was non-existent for the last 4 minute war up until 17 min left, then it picked up again. we simply can't have the defensive/rebounding lapses that we do when we face better competition. that will be our achilles heel.

also, considering Steele said this could one of X's best defensive teams EVER, then i'm a little concerned, even though it is only one game and no Q.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 am

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am
skyhops wrote:
i'm gonna give Naji a "pass" this game because he was sick for 4 days straight and hasn't practiced but i can't stand watching when he either makes a turnover, a bad shot, etc and then literally WALKS back on D after it. i hope that kind of s#$% changes because if i keep seeing that, he will become my least favorite Xavier player to watch.

our D was non-existent for the last 4 minute war up until 17 min left, then it picked up again. we simply can't have the defensive/rebounding lapses that we do when we face better competition. that will be our achilles heel.

also, considering Steele said this could one of X's best defensive teams EVER, then i'm a little concerned, even though it is only one game and no Q.
Agree with you on Naji. Overall performance-wise I’m giving him a pass. But sick or not you’re a high level D1 player who is expected to be a leader on this team and his body language was AWFUL. Like you, I noticed how he’d literally walk back on d. Or where they’d get a defensive rebound and he’d just kind of trot back. It was a little alarming.

My other takeaway from this game is that I’m worried about big east play. Obviously Q back will help but there’s gonna be 2-3 guys playing minutes that I’m not sure have any business out there in the big east. Hankins in particular seems like he’ll be fun at times but I’m concerned about how weak of a rebounder and weak at putting it back up he seems to be given his size. He got shoved out on several boards where he had positioned and missed multiple bunnies by not going up hard enough.

On a positive note tyrique looked good, a couple of his fouls were bogus or very soft at best. Castlin impressed me with his shot selection and he seems to be one of those smaller guards who just knows how to crash the boards and has a nose for the ball. He feels like he could be a selfless Malcom Bernard type transfer that isn’t gonna put up 20 a game but is going to be someone you can count on.

Overall you could tell it’s a team in transition. There were a few awkward moments where you could tell guys weren’t used to being out there together (Welage was great but had a couple awkward mistakes). Hopefully that’ll all get cleaned up.
webxu

Postby webxu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 am

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Scruggs picks up 3rd foul - not good.

Rookie Coach.. 29 secs left in the half.. he should not have been out there.
Pandinus

Postby Pandinus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm
Basketball Jones is looking like All-World this first half.

I have a feeling that his weight loss will be this year's Uber driver story - mentioned in every game.
The way the announcers were talking, you'd think Jones was a Christmas Ham last year. He was just too musclebound, and muscle uses a lot of oxygen.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Pandinus, google tells me it is a name for a popular pet scorpion. Is this your intention? Or perhaps there is another Latin meaning for the word? I'm just a harmless philosopher who is interested in the handle names people use on this board. I come in peace.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 am

I agree with most posts regarding Naji's performance and relating to him being sick. Hopefully, his loafing after a missed basket or poor play was just a part of it. What was also concerning was the play of Scruggs at PG. I know he was in foul trouble, but he did not look real confident being the PG vs the SG when q is in the game. Our depth at guard is going to a problem most of the year since I don't see Hardin or Kennedy being confident ball handlers. We can thank Mack for this since he had one foot out the door last year left the cupboard bar at PG/SG the last two years. Jones performance was encouraging although I didn't realize how out of shape he was last year until the announcers pointed it out ten times. Next thing you know Stainbrook drives an uber, JP is Dennis the Menace, and Tre has been working on toning his body.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:54 pm

agree with 'Hops. Many concerning aspects as I was fairly close to the floor. A couple bright spots, mainly, all 3 transfers will contribute and are improvements over what would have been had Steele just brought in more raw Frosh. Hardin now is serviceable. Kennedy shows some promise but miles to go. Hankins did everything but put the ball in the bucket, that will come. He was as athletic as advertised and a better rim protector than I had anticipated. My biggest concern, aside from Skyhop's PG depth issue, is REBOUNDING...! Wellage can provide offense but is frail. Castlin is willing but not imposing either. Naji gets bounced around a bit in the trenches. X going to have to sell out with a total team effort to keep the opposition off the boards on both ends. We knew this was a massive reconstruction thanks to Mack being less than "all-in" last season. I saw enough to be hopeful, especially once Q is back & acclimated. Going to need some patience and trust the process - which I do.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 pm

My Lord - Naji was sick (not practice for 3 days) so maybe you all would have preferred he not play at all - and we would not have won the game. He played 36 minutes despite not being at full strength and he scored 13 points and had 7 assists many of which came at the end of the game. The way I look at it if did not play we don't win! Go Xavier!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”