Undisciplined...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
yellow20xd

Undisciplined...

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 pm

What the heck's going on???... Q get's DQ'ed, (bush league move on Q's part... imho) and towards the end of the game they show Coach Steele yelling down the bench at someone to "shut the f*ck up"... He's quoted as saying "I always say, 'Undisciplined players are coached by undisciplined coaches.'"... Yesterday wasn't a banner day for the program... Hope he can tighten the ship... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Loses go in your soul."
Anti-Homer

Re: Undisciplined...

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 pm
What the heck's going on???... Q get's DQ'ed, (bush league move on Q's part... imho) and towards the end of the game they show Coach Steele yelling down the bench at someone to "shut the f*ck up"... He's quoted as saying "I always say, 'Undisciplined players are coached by undisciplined coaches.'"... Yesterday wasn't a banner day for the program... Hope he can tighten the ship... Dan
Post of the year so far. That was Naj,"I'm channeling Mark Lyons this year" Marshall he yelled that to btw.
toddk

Postby toddk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:39 pm

It was obvious the players were doing their own thing yesterday and not listening to Coach. Nothing says undisciplined more than head bands. They looked like a church league team with those headbands. Can someone tell me the purpose of them? I also noticed a lot of arguing amongst teammates. We all know this is going to be a long year but when we lose let’s lose playing hard and playing defense! That was an embarrassment yesterday!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 pm

yellow20xd wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 pm
Considering that they played at home against allegedly extremely inferior talent (X favored by 18.5 and 20 respectively), these games were alarming. Hopefully with Goodin back, will right the ship. I was encouraged how well Goodin and Scruggs shot from the outside because they needed every 3 they made and they aren't known for outside shooting. My concern is that Steele feels that this could be the best defense in Xavier history-not by the first two games. I just hope that Evansville just had an out of body experience shooting game because losing by 36 to Illinois didn't make you believe they could hit 17 3s in a game. Long season and I like Steele so hopefully they right the ship starting Tues. At least they are sitting at 2-0 right now.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:19 pm

I don't make judgements on small samples and Travis took the blame. I am sure he is blistering paint today. New parts may take time to gel and while the results Saturday were not as expected they did show they could score from a number of different positions. Now X needs to show they can play D and stop hot dogging it.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:39 pm

OK, lighten up Francis.. We are all better than this (hopefully). A little patience is in order. Looks to me like Steele may have to break this team down a bit and build them back up. Some of our vets are, up to this point, unaware that you can't just pick back up where you left off. Some humility and hard work are in order for our returning core as they meld with the new pieces. We will lose a few more this year and that is OK. The key is, are we ascending in mid February?? I am certain many on this board, like me, have coached. (albeit for me on the Jr. High and grade school levels). No matter the level, a coach needs to build one block at a time aspects such as player roles, rotations, what offensive & defensive sets work best for which rotations, and above all, that often elusive 'chemistry'. As others have noted we have had arguably our most vital cog play just one half of ball so far. I like Hankins, a lot! He has never played at this level but appears to possess the size and mobility. Zach also appears to be a sponge that loves the game and I bet he is going to shine for us by January. Castlin, love this dude. Love his quiet fire and Swiss army knife skill set. Welage has proven he can score, and not just behind the arc, ask the Bearcats if they could use a shooter.... Hardin has improved and Kennedy looks like a solid recruit. Jury out on DJ but he is a true Frosh and has a more difficult transition than Kennedy from HS. I see an 8.5 man eventual rotation which could work out fine. Yes, the "D" needs to get better, WAY better. Reloading on the fly ain't easy Jack. Enjoy the process. March is a long way off, and miles to go before we sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-aXzpQUdw
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

I taped the game and watched again last night...My take on this team......Young, somewhat talented and athletic, below average shooting team, searching for team chemistry, a few players have a bit of an entitled attitude, coach is new and learning. I believe its difficult to come from the second chair to the first chair but I believe coach is very smart and will get a handle on this team in a jiffy. Let's see what our captains are made of?? Really need team leadership. You all saw what I did the past two games regarding player attitude's and ego's. Saw more" I than we" in two players in particular. If these guys want to win they had better get in step and play team ball.
Unless we demonstrate tremendous growth the next couple of weeks it could be painful. I'm not certain we can shoot better but playing inspired defense is achievable. I'm betting we grow up quickly and will be ready when BE play begins.
XU85

Postby XU85 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:50 am

joeabe wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am
I taped the game and watched again last night...My take on this team......Young, somewhat talented and athletic, below average shooting team, searching for team chemistry, a few players have a bit of an entitled attitude, coach is new and learning. I believe its difficult to come from the second chair to the first chair but I believe coach is very smart and will get a handle on this team in a jiffy. Let's see what our captains are made of?? Really need team leadership. You all saw what I did the past two games regarding player attitude's and ego's. Saw more" I than we" in two players in particular. If these guys want to win they had better get in step and play team ball.
Unless we demonstrate tremendous growth the next couple of weeks it could be painful. I'm not certain we can shoot better but playing inspired defense is achievable. I'm betting we grow up quickly and will be ready when BE play begins.
I agree with most of what you said. The lack of discipline shown on defense in general, and by Naji and inexplicably by Q is mind boggling, but I am encouraged by Steele's undisciplined players play for undisciplined coaches comment, so it sounds like he's going to do something about it. We'll see soon enough!
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

I was unable to watch the game as it appears to have been untelevised in my area. During the first few years under Mack, there was a discipline problem. It wasn't until the brawl that things seem to have turned. I suspect that event changed how Mack dealt with players and many involved in that incident were gone the next year making it easier to start fresh.

I neither trust nor distrust the coach at this point. I never assume a person is qualified or unqualified. I am simply hopeful until they prove their ability or disprove it. I have modest expectations for this team but the performance thus far is definitely concerning. Based on Redford's comments this should have been a blowout. Based on how Illinois beat them it again should have been a blowout. A new coach with a lot of new players is definitely going to come with some growing pains. Given Mack's inability to develop a good defensive strategy, the start to this year is very concerning. If Steele has the same defensive philosphy (to essentially not play any) then this team will likely be terrible. I would be surprised if this team can simply outscore most teams. They are long and athletic, defense is where they should have the advantage. I'm hoping for huge improvement for next game.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:59 pm

madness31 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm
I was unable to watch the game as it appears to have been untelevised in my area. During the first few years under Mack, there was a discipline problem. It wasn't until the brawl that things seem to have turned. I suspect that event changed how Mack dealt with players and many involved in that incident were gone the next year making it easier to start fresh.

I neither trust nor distrust the coach at this point. I never assume a person is qualified or unqualified. I am simply hopeful until they prove their ability or disprove it. I have modest expectations for this team but the performance thus far is definitely concerning. Based on Redford's comments this should have been a blowout. Based on how Illinois beat them it again should have been a blowout. A new coach with a lot of new players is definitely going to come with some growing pains. Given Mack's inability to develop a good defensive strategy, the start to this year is very concerning. If Steele has the same defensive philosphy (to essentially not play any) then this team will likely be terrible. I would be surprised if this team can simply outscore most teams. They are long and athletic, defense is where they should have the advantage. I'm hoping for huge improvement for next game.
our KenPom ADJ-D rank last year was 67. that's out like 325 D-1 schools. that puts them in the top 20% of the nation. but yeah, we have no defensive strategy/essentially didn't play any.

my guess is Mack will get the blame for this team's inefficiencies all season long.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”