Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Undisciplined...

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:59 pm
madness31 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm
I was unable to watch the game as it appears to have been untelevised in my area. During the first few years under Mack, there was a discipline problem. It wasn't until the brawl that things seem to have turned. I suspect that event changed how Mack dealt with players and many involved in that incident were gone the next year making it easier to start fresh.

I neither trust nor distrust the coach at this point. I never assume a person is qualified or unqualified. I am simply hopeful until they prove their ability or disprove it. I have modest expectations for this team but the performance thus far is definitely concerning. Based on Redford's comments this should have been a blowout. Based on how Illinois beat them it again should have been a blowout. A new coach with a lot of new players is definitely going to come with some growing pains. Given Mack's inability to develop a good defensive strategy, the start to this year is very concerning. If Steele has the same defensive philosphy (to essentially not play any) then this team will likely be terrible. I would be surprised if this team can simply outscore most teams. They are long and athletic, defense is where they should have the advantage. I'm hoping for huge improvement for next game.
our KenPom ADJ-D rank last year was 67. that's out like 325 D-1 schools. that puts them in the top 20% of the nation. but yeah, we have no defensive strategy/essentially didn't play any.

my guess is Mack will get the blame for this team's inefficiencies all season long.
LLS,

I believed you mocked Madness for your perceived lack of insightfulness, accuracy, or legitimacy in regards to his post, so as a Mod, I feel obligated to call you out as well. Very naive to think X's 67 ADJ-D should be viewed as good. It blew rotten eggs. Do you think Harvard, Yale, or Vanderbilt (academic equivalent to X's bball team) care how they rank against Toledo, Ohio U, or any school who will never be a top 20% academic school? X's standard should be ranking themselves against the Top 50 teams since they've been a Top 25 program over the last 25 years.

In my appropriate context, last year X was 17 points under their demographic in terms of defensive efficiency. CM should not get the blame for how X performs this year, despite the fact that he was primarily recruiting for Lousiville weeks before I ate my pumpkin pie dessert at Muskieman's house last T-giving. He should write a book: How to NOT leave a job." He had me at "Hello," and had my good wishes until I found out thru multiple sources about his disloyalty, and for throwing the players under the bus when he left. He'll rue that day forever.

AH out.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:46 am

Thanks AH. I'd say a top 20 defense is acceptable. Anything over 50 is a disaster. Of course there are always exceptions and I believe there have been a few terrible defensive teams advance to the final 4 over the years. Its not the strategy I'd recommend.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm
longliveskip wrote:
madness31 wrote:
I was unable to watch the game as it appears to have been untelevised in my area. During the first few years under Mack, there was a discipline problem. It wasn't until the brawl that things seem to have turned. I suspect that event changed how Mack dealt with players and many involved in that incident were gone the next year making it easier to start fresh.

I neither trust nor distrust the coach at this point. I never assume a person is qualified or unqualified. I am simply hopeful until they prove their ability or disprove it. I have modest expectations for this team but the performance thus far is definitely concerning. Based on Redford's comments this should have been a blowout. Based on how Illinois beat them it again should have been a blowout. A new coach with a lot of new players is definitely going to come with some growing pains. Given Mack's inability to develop a good defensive strategy, the start to this year is very concerning. If Steele has the same defensive philosphy (to essentially not play any) then this team will likely be terrible. I would be surprised if this team can simply outscore most teams. They are long and athletic, defense is where they should have the advantage. I'm hoping for huge improvement for next game.
our KenPom ADJ-D rank last year was 67. that's out like 325 D-1 schools. that puts them in the top 20% of the nation. but yeah, we have no defensive strategy/essentially didn't play any.

my guess is Mack will get the blame for this team's inefficiencies all season long.
LLS,

I believed you mocked Madness for your perceived lack of insightfulness, accuracy, or legitimacy in regards to his post, so as a Mod, I feel obligated to call you out as well. Very naive to think X's 67 ADJ-D should be viewed as good. It blew rotten eggs. Do you think Harvard, Yale, or Vanderbilt (academic equivalent to X's bball team) care how they rank against Toledo, Ohio U, or any school who will never be a top 20% academic school? X's standard should be ranking themselves against the Top 50 teams since they've been a Top 25 program over the last 25 years.

In my appropriate context, last year X was 17 points under their demographic in terms of defensive efficiency. CM should not get the blame for how X performs this year, despite the fact that he was primarily recruiting for Lousiville weeks before I ate my pumpkin pie dessert at Muskieman's house last T-giving. He should write a book: How to NOT leave a job." He had me at "Hello," and had my good wishes until I found out thru multiple sources about his disloyalty, and for throwing the players under the bus when he left. He'll rue that day forever.

AH out.
once again, you can spout all you want on this board about "sources" but you really have NO IDEA. neither do your sources. unless CM is telling you this himself, i don't believe it. the way the media works these days, there is ZERO chance that this doesn't come out as an actual story, WITH EVIDENCE, and not just some blogger's post on a message board. and when did he throw our players under the bus? i must've missed that one.

and madness comes on here acting like we played no defense at all when we clearly were in the top 1/5 of the nation. if we were over 100, then i could see it, but we are not even close to that. and we played once of the toughest schedules out there, especially non-conf.
webxu

Postby webxu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 am

Mack 100% told Lville before last season if they offered he would accept. Not sure about throwing players under the bus, but he for sure had his foot out the door. In fact X even acknowledged it in the article about Steele working with Christopher and Mack in January as a succession plan, ( I think it was an article Shannon wrote) so it was common knowledge he was gone.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm
longliveskip wrote:
madness31 wrote:

my guess is Mack will get the blame for this team's inefficiencies all season long. FYI even I didn't eat pumpkin pie at my house last Thanksgiving.
LLS,

AH out.
LLS Anti is off his meds again and thinks he is a mod!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Our offense is terrible.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:24 pm

webxu wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 am
Mack 100% told Lville before last season if they offered he would accept. Not sure about throwing players under the bus, but he for sure had his foot out the door. In fact X even acknowledged it in the article about Steele working with Christopher and Mack in January as a succession plan, ( I think it was an article Shannon wrote) so it was common knowledge he was gone.
Fact. One of the recruits who is now at L-Ville (I think it was Johnson), said last year before the season started that CM said he could play for him, whether it was at L-Ville or X. I know for a fact you CAN spell integrity without Mack.
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:55 pm

IMHO ...... the turnovers are a direct reflection of an undisciplined team, starts with coaching. T/o,s a real problem this morning,playing very undisciplined. Biggernlife
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Question: Why was Ryan Wellage not playing in OT? I think he entered the game with like 2 min remaining? 6-12 shooting and 4-8 from 3? I'm guessing concerned over his lack of athleticism vs pressure??????? Hankins for the game 4-4 shooting and 3-4 FT's...…but not on floor in OT??
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:35 pm

I wondered the exact same!!!!! Why didn’t they go to Wellage more instead of Naji and Q forcing every possession. And Tyrique had some very boneheaded fouls . Biggernlife

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”