Xavier vs Auburn

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip

Xavier vs Auburn

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 am

kind of hard to predict with such a small sample size of games. also, this game is at 9:30 in the morning their time. we will see which team can be a "morning" team.

spread is XU +10.

gonna guess the Muskies keep it close but Auburn ends up covering in the end.

Auburn 92
Xavier 80
thecoach

Re: Xavier vs Auburn

Postby thecoach » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 am

Difficult matchup for X's backcourt.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 pm

I have watched Auburn a very athletic team play both last year and this one. Bruce Pearl can coach and recruit!! They play NBA style . As soon as the ball comes out of the net they are gone and waste no time getting a shot up and are great on the offensive boards creating plenty of second chance scoring opportunities. Unless we can run with them and score at their pace we may be in for a long day. Bruce Pearl teams just keep coming at you. I'm surprised the line is -9.5 .
But, my heart says X grows up today and we clean their clocks. It would do wonders for our coaches confidence as well as the teams. I think Auburn would need to have a bad day and us to play way over our heads. I am not a Bruce Pearl fan as a person since trouble has followed him throughout his career in the recruiting violation area but he is a good coach. Living in SEC country I see many of their games. Go X and Roll Tide!!
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:52 pm

So far our ball handling is absolutely horrible. Scruggs in foul trouble again. we start our offense 10'outside the 3 point line. Not a recipe for success
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Steele needs to put Goodin on a shoot and range count: 8 shots a game, all within 3 feet. He was the MVP for Auburn: 3-19 with 7 turnovers. He may need to go into concussion protocol, b/c I'm convinced he has hit his head and thinks his name is Tre. X had so many more turnovers, and most turned into points. Despite that, they took the game into overtime. This game shows X has talent. It will take time to evolve, but Auburn is a legit E8 team.

BTW, Bilas made a great point about Auburn's extended pressure D making X start their offense much higher. It's the same strategy X should have employed against Wisconsin. They are still getting burned on slip screens as well. The good news is that a loss to Auburn will not hurt X's rpi., even if it was high, which it obviously isn't.

X needs to make some noise in their next two games. With the BE obviously down this year, they will not have nearly as many chances for high quality wins as they are accustomed to.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Marshall and Q 6 for 28 with 14 turnovers not to mention the numerous blow by's from Auburn guards. Bills was correct about not being able to defend the high ball screen. We don't have a true Pg.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Xavier beats itself.....terrible ball handling and way too many turn overs.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Q has been terrible this year
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Goodin and Marshall are bad perimeter shooters and teams will guard accordingly. Teams will continue to sag and make them beat you on the outside which we have seen has been successful. Scruggs has been shooting ok but still not a pure shooter. To me, this would dictate that X better get better on D which was better today. Their 5s are just not offensively gifted. Both can dunk but cannot create their own shot. Absolutely no need to double them unless you are IUPUI or Evansville type talent. Hankins is a good post defender as he uses his length very well but in both cases, they have little post move and Jones cant overpower 5s in power conferences. Give X credit for coming back. Their offense however in OT was awful. Even Larkin commented that X did nothing but try and beat you one on one. Their first three possessions in OT X didn't even get off a shot. They spend a lot of time with Goodin dribbling on the perimted until the shot clock is down to 10. At that point, they are very easy to guard. I think X had their best game and am hopeful that this kick starts them. To A-H and Hops point, Marshall and Q were bad. For X to still be in the game considering how much they shoot and handle the ball that is a compliment to the others. Now its on Steele to reel them in.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 am

Good points. I watched the OT again and cannot believe how poor our offensive execution was during the period and why Welage and Hankins were out. With ball the hype about Q and Naji being great athletes they simply can't beat defenders to the hoop. Scruggs is developing a shot and is tough, but Q has played horrible. Jones still has no post moves and lost defensively. Hopefully Steele can get them to execute better on both ends.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”