Xavier vs Auburn

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskyfisherman

Re: Xavier vs Auburn

Postby muskyfisherman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Long time coach...High School...a little AAU (as much as I could stand!)....Just an observer now....Years ago we ran everything thru the post...Now the game is played outside in for the most part...need to adapt

muskyfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am
Was always going to be a tough year...The game has evolved and until X gets onboard they will struggle. The modern game is all about 2 things...shooting and defending...neither of which we are doing well. The floor needs to be 4 shooters and a competent big...and teach them to play D (see 'Nova the last few years) . One of the problems with recruiting? Many coaches still recruit on athletecism....they go to the big AAU showcases and these guys standout...the problem is their is no defense at these events so guys are slashing to the rim all over the place...Step into college ball and people are defending...doubling in the paint...and it becomes a shooting game....and these gifted slashers are clanking shots...and missing from the charity stripe. We give up a tremendous amount of 3's because our guys aren't shooters....They don't get it that leaving guys open is bad...they come from an AAU world that is all about the handle, the move, and the dunk...then the flex. Not much can be done now, but Coach Steele would be wise on the recruiting trail to get a real pg (not a Russell Westbrook wannabe) and some guys that can fill it up from 3...make a team guard you deep and create space.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:20 pm

muskyfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am
Was always going to be a tough year...The game has evolved and until X gets onboard they will struggle. The modern game is all about 2 things...shooting and defending...neither of which we are doing well. The floor needs to be 4 shooters and a competent big...and teach them to play D (see 'Nova the last few years) . One of the problems with recruiting? Many coaches still recruit on athletecism....they go to the big AAU showcases and these guys standout...the problem is their is no defense at these events so guys are slashing to the rim all over the place...Step into college ball and people are defending...doubling in the paint...and it becomes a shooting game....and these gifted slashers are clanking shots...and missing from the charity stripe. We give up a tremendous amount of 3's because our guys aren't shooters....They don't get it that leaving guys open is bad...they come from an AAU world that is all about the handle, the move, and the dunk...then the flex. Not much can be done now, but Coach Steele would be wise on the recruiting trail to get a real pg (not a Russell Westbrook wannabe) and some guys that can fill it up from 3...make a team guard you deep and create space.
Seriously? Can you name a team who has won the National Championship without a plethora of Top 150 ranked players? The great majority have several Top 50 players, and at least 1 McDonald's All American. Would you suggest we recruit 13 Jeff Wolf's? I really thought a lot of him as a high character kid, and fundamentally sound player, but a team full of players with his skill set has you in NIT bubble territory.

For the record, if X can get a Russell Westbrook type pg, put me down for that 10 out of 10 times.
muskyfisherman

Postby muskyfisherman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm

All I am saying is that this is a shooting game now...We have 2 generations. almost 3 that have grown up with the 3 point line...Look at the made 3's against X...I was watching Duke the other night and they had 9...in the first half! At no point did I say you can win without good recruits...All I pointed out was the type of top recruit you need to succeed today...the game is changing or has really has already changed...a team needs several good shooters to space the floor or you end up like X...bad contested shots in the paint, clanked 3's or shot clock violations. You make a few 3's and that half court suddenly gets a lot more spacious. Made shots spread a defense way better than just ball movement alone. Hopefully Coach Steele can bring in a few shooters and a good pg that can run the show. Westbrook is a unique talent but guys who THINK they are like him but are not are serious detriments to good team basketball

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”