Xavier vs Auburn

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskyfisherman

Re: Xavier vs Auburn

Postby muskyfisherman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Was always going to be a tough year...The game has evolved and until X gets onboard they will struggle. The modern game is all about 2 things...shooting and defending...neither of which we are doing well. The floor needs to be 4 shooters and a competent big...and teach them to play D (see 'Nova the last few years) . One of the problems with recruiting? Many coaches still recruit on athletecism....they go to the big AAU showcases and these guys standout...the problem is their is no defense at these events so guys are slashing to the rim all over the place...Step into college ball and people are defending...doubling in the paint...and it becomes a shooting game....and these gifted slashers are clanking shots...and missing from the charity stripe. We give up a tremendous amount of 3's because our guys aren't shooters....They don't get it that leaving guys open is bad...they come from an AAU world that is all about the handle, the move, and the dunk...then the flex. Not much can be done now, but Coach Steele would be wise on the recruiting trail to get a real pg (not a Russell Westbrook wannabe) and some guys that can fill it up from 3...make a team guard you deep and create space.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 am

Interesting, muskyfisherman. What is your basketball history?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:35 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm
Steele needs to put Goodin on a shoot and range count: 8 shots a game, all within 3 feet. He was the MVP for Auburn: 3-19 with 7 turnovers. He may need to go into concussion protocol, b/c I'm convinced he has hit his head and thinks his name is Tre. X had so many more turnovers, and most turned into points. Despite that, they took the game into overtime. This game shows X has talent. It will take time to evolve, but Auburn is a legit E8 team.

BTW, Bilas made a great point about Auburn's extended pressure D making X start their offense much higher. It's the same strategy X should have employed against Wisconsin. They are still getting burned on slip screens as well. The good news is that a loss to Auburn will not hurt X's rpi., even if it was high, which it obviously isn't.

X needs to make some noise in their next two games. With the BE obviously down this year, they will not have nearly as many chances for high quality wins as they are accustomed to.
agree with some here. let's talk about Goodin first - i agree about shooting but the problem is, he's really our only ball-handler as well. he literally was the only one who could get us into any offense yesterday. Scruggs couldn't even make an entry pass without it getting stolen. i realize the way way Auburn defends really took us out of our offense at times, but when it didn't, it looked good. i don't come down on Goodin for some of his shots because at times, his teammates literally couldn't get open and he was being pressured and his only option was to try to get to the rim. sometimes he got blocked but he got fouled or finished a few times and he hit his FT's. this team is one Goodin injury away from finishing LAST in the Big East. that's a fact. you saw what the offense looked like when Scruggs was the 1. awful

now - on to the turnovers - i just don't get what Marshall and Scruggs see sometimes - they do what my 6th grade girls team does - put their head down and try to dribble between two people and get it stolen. that must've happened 5 or 6 times. the lazy passes getting stolen is just unacceptable.

Auburn's defense was stifling but X needed to work harder to get the ball into the post. i don't think we had a post entry until almost 3 minutes left in the first half. that is awful. on Auburn's side, it just looked like we just let the ball go into the post on D anytime they wanted. i get it - we don't have the guys that can defend like Auburn can. we just don't. we wouldn't even be able to defend Wisconsin that way. we'd get blown by even by them. the defensive lapses on dribble drives and ball screens were still just terrible and led to so many easy points for Auburn.

let's go to rebounding - started on the very first possession and didn't change - 12 offensive rebounds. unacceptable. i realize some of these were long rebounds off missed 3's but guess what - if you go box out your man first, even if he's all the way out on the 3, you should have a better chance at the rebound than him. rebounding is an attitude. go get the ball. want it more than the other guy. we don't have enough guys that do that. we did do a decent job on the offensive rebounding part. that helped.

the game was lost on rebounding and turnovers - plain and simple. it just happened to be a game where we made enough shots to mask all those deficiencies. 12 offensive rebounds and 22 turnovers - that's 34. THIRTY FOUR possessions we could have had. 34!!!

this team has A LOT to work on - people want to point to things like - these guys haven't played together enough, they need to develop chemistry, etc. guess what? you don't need chemistry to box out and rebound. you don't need chemistry to take care of the ball. those should be constants/absolutes on ANY team, no matter what.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 am

Agree on the rebounding as well. We simply didn't box out on many shots at the end of the game and especially overtime. I thought Scruggs should a lot of heart and keep us in the game. Q was as careless as Scruggs and Marshall with the ball.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 am
Good points. I watched the OT again and cannot believe how poor our offensive execution was during the period and why Welage and Hankins were out. With ball the hype about Q and Naji being great athletes they simply can't beat defenders to the hoop. Scruggs is developing a shot and is tough, but Q has played horrible. Jones still has no post moves and lost defensively. Hopefully Steele can get them to execute better on both ends.
Welage played in the OT...took a three and missed it.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am

Welage was on the bench for quite a bit of OT and Caistlin was not doing much.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am
i realize Castlin does a lot of "little things" that go unnoticed but he has got to be some kind of scoring threat at times. people were comparing him to Bernard but at least Bernard could hit a 3, sometimes 2 of them, every now and then. Castlin doesn't look like a threat at all to score and that's not good. if he had lockdown defender skills (ala Stanley Burrell his senior year), i could see him staying on the floor more, but he hasn't shown that yet.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:39 pm

The turnovers were sickening to start the 2nd half. They were good defensive plays but unforced. Just telegraphed passes with no real pressure on the ball. Simply laziness by X.

The OT offense broke completely after the goal tending that wasn't called. I think that missed call followed by a couple misses killed their spirit. The refs were generally ok but the charge call against Scruggs near the end of the game was bogus. He wasn't out of control and didn't duck his shoulder. The defender was moving with him so there was no reason for an offensive penalty as Bilas noted. The missed goal tend is inexcusable. That ball was well on its way down and there was no reason not to see that. There were a few other questionable calls against X big men and possible missed calls against Auburn but they were all reasonable and likely depend on vantage point. The goal tend would have given X their first lead. The charge prevented X from advancing their comeback a bit earlier which could have resulted in a win in regulation as momentum was definitely in X's favor.

The good news is that X was much better from the line than in other games this year. They played with more energy and were a few mistakes short of beating a top 10 team. I'm not panicked about Q. I think he is a better shooter than he has shown but I do think his shot selection is an issue. Scruggs had a good game but there were many times Auburn was able to get the rebound over him. I do not know how tall the Auburn player or players were that were rebounding over him but Scruggs has length and I believe good jumping ability so this was surprising to see. Securing 1 or 2 of those rebounds and X likely leaves with a win. The turnovers however were the true undoing of the team. Simply lazy basketball.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am
skyhops wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am
i realize Castlin does a lot of "little things" that go unnoticed but he has got to be some kind of scoring threat at times. people were comparing him to Bernard but at least Bernard could hit a 3, sometimes 2 of them, every now and then. Castlin doesn't look like a threat at all to score and that's not good. if he had lockdown defender skills (ala Stanley Burrell his senior year), i could see him staying on the floor more, but he hasn't shown that yet.
Castlin is a smart player who is very unselfish and seems to know his role and capabilities. Other players on the team right now seemed to have overestimated their capabilities. Skip, I understand your point about being a scoring threat but how much of a threat right now is Goodin. If you go 2-19 shooting with seven turnovers, I honestly don't believe he is being considered a threat. Last year, Goodin didn't shoot much at all in the first half of the year, had a strong Assist/TO ratio, and didn't need to be considered a threat. I realize X had better players but as the PG who is truly a pass first shoot second PG, he can help develop others that have the ability to shoot (i.e. Kennedy). Welage may be a defensive liability (but I'm really not sure compared to others) but he needs to be on the floor if for anything to spread the court a little. The first 3 minutes of OT was like watching the last 5 minutes of the debacle vs FSU. Players going for one on one drives to the basket and once cut off, turned the ball over or take a bad contested shot. As for Hankins and Jones I think its almost a crap shoot. Jones is a little better offensively and Hankins is better defensively (on the post).
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

madness31 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:39 pm
The turnovers were sickening to start the 2nd half. They were good defensive plays but unforced. Just telegraphed passes with no real pressure on the ball. Simply laziness by X.

The OT offense broke completely after the goal tending that wasn't called. I think that missed call followed by a couple misses killed their spirit. The refs were generally ok but the charge call against Scruggs near the end of the game was bogus. He wasn't out of control and didn't duck his shoulder. The defender was moving with him so there was no reason for an offensive penalty as Bilas noted. The missed goal tend is inexcusable. That ball was well on its way down and there was no reason not to see that. There were a few other questionable calls against X big men and possible missed calls against Auburn but they were all reasonable and likely depend on vantage point. The goal tend would have given X their first lead. The charge prevented X from advancing their comeback a bit earlier which could have resulted in a win in regulation as momentum was definitely in X's favor.

The good news is that X was much better from the line than in other games this year. They played with more energy and were a few mistakes short of beating a top 10 team. I'm not panicked about Q. I think he is a better shooter than he has shown but I do think his shot selection is an issue. Scruggs had a good game but there were many times Auburn was able to get the rebound over him. I do not know how tall the Auburn player or players were that were rebounding over him but Scruggs has length and I believe good jumping ability so this was surprising to see. Securing 1 or 2 of those rebounds and X likely leaves with a win. The turnovers however were the true undoing of the team. Simply lazy basketball.
Madness spot on with the lazy turnovers. I think X's lack of guard quickness was exposed a bit. As for Q, I would disagree. He has never been a scorer at X (nor did he have to be) but has never shown any ability (except for about 5 games in conference play) to be an outside shooter. This year, he seems to have a green light from anywhere which has continued to expose his inability to shoot. He had a good shooting game vs Evansville but the last two against BE type competition has been terrible. His urgency to want to shoot I believe is also creating turnovers for himself and certainly his shot selection as you said, has not been great. Again, its early and maybe he turns out to be much improved but I would like to see him continue to shoot but not nearly as much and be a pass first shoot second point guard. The way the season has started, Scruggs is their best shooter next to Welage and a lot has to do with the much better shot selection

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”