Boudreaux

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

Boudreaux

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Boudreaux is playing well for Purdue. It still frosts me that he did not have the fortitude to stand by his commitment to X.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
X-Expert

Re: Boudreaux

Postby X-Expert » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:27 pm
Boudreaux is playing well for Purdue. It still frosts me that he did not have the fortitude to stand by his commitment to X.
I wish he would have stayed but can't blame him. Always happens when coaches leave. If Mack would have stayed, I think Ayo would have come to X. But this happens all the time and X has benefitted when Stephens left for the NBA. Bluitt and Macura were on their way to Butler until Stephens moves on.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
I wish he would have stayed but can't blame him. Always happens when coaches leave. If Mack would have stayed, I think Ayo would have come to X. But this happens all the time and X has benefitted when Stephens left for the NBA. Bluitt and Macura were on their way to Butler until Stephens moves on.
we've been the beneficiary of that over the years - didn't we land Holloway because Sampson left IU, albeit because of NCAA violations, not taking another job?
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:42 pm

I did not say we have not benefited from the same thing, but that doesn't mean I should be happy with Boudreaux.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:11 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm
X-Expert wrote:
olsingledigit wrote:
we've been the beneficiary of that over the years - didn't we land Holloway because Sampson left IU, albeit because of NCAA violations, not taking another job?
+ Crawford
webxu

Postby webxu » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am

X-Expert wrote:
olsingledigit wrote:
Tre had committed to UCLA...
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

most top high school kids going to college ball commit first due to who the coach is and how long he has been there doing great things at college . New and or an unknown coach and kids go elsewhere. Plus for X they have the problem of never being within the FF...some kids want that FF experience. The kids that un commit to X also do it because of what happens at X. When ever X is near the golden rings which might make X a great top10 program, the coach leaves for $$$.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am
most top high school kids going to college ball commit first due to who the coach is and how long he has been there doing great things at college . New and or an unknown coach and kids go elsewhere. Plus for X they have the problem of never being within the FF...some kids want that FF experience. The kids that un commit to X also do it because of what happens at X. When ever X is near the golden rings which might make X a great top10 program, the coach leaves for $$$.
True, and we will likely always have the $$$ problem not only with paying coaches but in general. Our endowment is puny in relation to most other schools of our ilk or State schools. We apparently do not have that bevy of uber wealthy alumni able to make large contributions be it to the BB program or to the endowment or other school uses. It is what it is. We will have to catch that FF in the midst of a good coach's tenure with X.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:52 pm

While I agree with the lack of endowment vs. other quality schools, I do not believe money is the problem with not getting to the final 4. X has not had coaches worthy of paying extreme salaries to other than possibly Miller. He was impressive at X but hasn't done much better despite landing better talent. Thad obviously had huge success with a group of young stars at OSU but couldn't sustain it.

X has experienced huge growth over the past several decades to become a consistent quality team that occassionally makes a push toward the final 4. Given how few teams make the final 4 in 2nd and 3rd tier conferences, it is not surprising X didn't get there prior to joining the Atlantic 10. There are always exceptions but the norm is for power conferences to make it to the final 4 and beyond. The tournament is designed to make it difficult for everyone else as they get less preferential seeding.

The money Mack made was far more than he deserved. It was an incredible salary for the Cincinnati area. He may have left for money or possibly for other reasons but he didn't deserve more money. The school is focused on building an endowment as they should be. The school gets a healthy amount of revenue from their affiliation with the BE. Villanova's success is certainly aiding that. The money should be there when a coach is deserving. The right coach however may not demand max sallary and may be content living a great life with a supportive fan base and administration. There are a few of those poeple in the world but certainly tough to find. Assuming Steele does a great job keeping X in the hunt, there will always be a supply of quality coaches wanting the job at X. Quality conference, known high quality basketball program and support of the school. Should something ever derail the supply of quality coaches, you simply need to get creative. Find a person outside of basketball with an analytical mind and knowledge of the game and pair him/her with an experienced coach. Let the analyst find strategies to maximize skillsets of the team and exploit weaknesses of oponents. Most analysts make modest salaries and would love to coach a sport they are passionate about. Certainly a risky strategy for a successful program but should a coach eventually fail, attracting the best may prove difficult and the high risk/reward strategy may be a better option than going with a second tier experienced coach.

Hopefully Steele proves to be a great hire and X is in the final 4 shortly.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Very ethereal Madness but I am not sure it is reality.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”