SDSU Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

SDSU Thread

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Where is Ty? Elias with two threes. Different look today.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
olsingledigit

Re: SDSU Thread

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Three threes for Eilias. Where has this man been?
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Q still awful
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:23 pm

For the second time in the half the shot clock expires in Scruggs hand and thus we blow a 19 point lead. This is quite possibly the most non cerebral team ever at Xavier. Jones continues to lower his shoulder and never knows how to guard a high ball screen and Steele finally called a timeout after a 16 point run. What a mess
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:07 pm

I used to post all the time on various message boards. I was a bit psychotic, too high after wins and too low and angry after losses. As I got older I kept my opinions to myself, hell, I wasn’t coaching and I bitched too much. I have several friends that I go to games with and talk XU hoops. It has amazed me during the last few Mack years how X consistently frittered away leads. Seems like the trend will continue. Too much freedom, up 19 play smart but that is no longer in our bag of tricks. I’ve said for years just because of the law of averages X would someday hire the wrong guy. I like Travis I would have hired him also hopefully this isn’t a mistake. I know it’s early but I don’t like the deer in the headlights look. I know he knows the game and can recruit, his mantra has been I’m the same guy I’ve always been. He has moved one seat over he might need to be a different guy.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:41 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:23 pm
For the second time in the half the shot clock expires in Scruggs hand and thus we blow a 19 point lead. This is quite possibly the most non cerebral team ever at Xavier. Jones continues to lower his shoulder and never knows how to guard a high ball screen and Steele finally called a timeout after a 16 point run. What a mess
The low iq of this team is amazing. We lost a lot I know but there’s plenty of guys with experience on this team.

And what’s up with Naji? He’s all but disappeared in every game but one. I’m not sure even he knows what his game is exactly. Certainly he looks like he deserved to be left off the all big east teams.
N67ER

Postby N67ER » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 pm

We obviously have a lot of issues, however, I think the biggest problem is the lack of a go-to-guy. Goodin is trying to be that guy, but so far has not proven to have the ability. I hope his sore shoulder is a big part of the problem.

Marshall was the pre-season pick to be our blue chip guy, but we are finding out that it’s a lot different being a very good third offensive option as opposed to the number one option. Defenses seem well prepared for his offensive moves and his contributions have been fairly limited to this point.

And thus far, our coach has only demonstrated what a huge step it is to be the head coach as opposed to a very good assistant.

I think we all knew this would be a learning experience. But this is painful to watch.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:10 pm

As we saw early today the 3pt can cure a lot of fundamental issues with an offense. Not having a guy like TB hitting bombs you need quite a bit more of a play maker at the pg position not only to get the team into an offense but also get guys shots and break down defenses. Unfortunately, we also do not really have a quality post passer who could somewhat handle the distribution duty so it's likely to be a slog. Maybe defense gets better and eases the pressure. Time will tell. Goodin actually had a nice game, but it was nice for a 2 guard. Hopefully he stays healthy.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm

24 Pt swing after the 9 minute mark 1st half. (3) shot clock violations, out rebounded, (8) 3pt to their (11) , big improvement on TO's but not enough with poor shooting after early 1st half. Welage leading scorer last game only took (2) shots. Ugly loss and had to listen to wild Bill Walton. Also got the game with Colorado wrong that he did 2yrs ago not last year when we routed them at Cintas. Where do we go from here and stop the bleeding?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:42 pm

A common theme is how low the bball IQ of this team is. However, a slight drop off was expected, since the legacy guys are a junior, who should be providing leadership but isn’t, and sophomores who were not relied on to play big roles offensively last year. Integrating 3 good, not great grad transfers isn’t easy to do. I think Scruggs is playing well on both sides of the ball, and the only guy who can beat his man off the dribble (and is also a good shooter). Marshall has been a disappointment. Goodin has been a HUGE disappointment. He is also playing very selfishly, and will quickly take that crown away from Mark Lyons if it continues. The worst two things that happened this year were Goodin making 3 of his first 4 treys against a horrendous Evansville team, and then making 2 at the end of this game. The odds of him becoming a consistent 3 point shooter is lower than surviving three crocodile and 2 Great White Shark attacks, per Vegas oddsmakers.

Steele is definitely overwhelmed, but was done a great disservice by Vanilla Mack, who didn’t afford him the same courtesy of waking up on 3rd base. Steele did a remarkable job of recruiting but is definitely staring into 10,000-watt headlights. Take the Wisconsin game for example. He made the same mistake Biggie Mack made when he folded as a 2 seed in 15.’ Wisconsin was a methodical, skilled team, who lacked great quickness. X has both superior athletes, with greater quickness and length, but they let Wisconsin dictate tempo by not pressuring them up high, as Auburn did to X.

This year, against a Wisconsin team with a similar skillset, X got drilled in the half court, because they let Wisconsin start their sets wherever they wanted to. Every team X plays knows now that they have a defensive Attention Deficit Disorder. It looked like a scrimmage, where the other coach said, ”Can you let us start our offense here, and run our half court sets? Then, as X was trying to make a comeback, they didn’t hack Happ every time down the court. He shoots 50% from the line. Wisconsin would have had to pick their poison. Take their best player out, or risk getting 1 point per possession at most, which was below their current rate in the half court. That takes 6th-grade coaching acumen.

Today, I knew when X took a 19 point lead, SD St would make a comeback. They are a Top 25 caliber team. However, he ran very few sets for Marshall, and was naïve enough to think the 3 would carry the day for X. It hasn’t all year. Fool’s gold, like Goodin making 3 treys in his 1st game. Like my friend, Vic Rum would say about X’s reliance on 3 point shooting: “Confidence. It is the drink of the Unwise man, but the liquor of the fool.” I still have faith in Steele, and think he’ll become a good head coach. However, I’m still waiting for the defensive prowess he said would be the hallmark of this team. I think he still is suffering from a defensive Stockholm Syndrome from Slim Shady, whose idea of defense was outscoring the other team.

Just like Coach Steele took heed to my advice to pull players with two fouls after I criticized him after game two, I hope he takes my constructive criticism to heart now. “Coach Steele, I’m just a phone call away”.

Seacrest Out.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”