Wellage

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
harryfe

Wellage

Postby harryfe » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:33 pm

I don’t believe he played at all against Illini in 2nd half. I guess he is just bad on defense. Travis seems to have trouble deciding on a rotation. But still early in the season???
joetitan

Re: Wellage

Postby joetitan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 am

With Harden playing well and draining 3s Coach Steele would be seriously questioned to sub in Weilage.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Steele said it had to do with matchups vs Illinois
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:00 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:20 pm
Match ups is always the reason somebody doesn’t play . (Not because of bad play such as Wellage’s defense). Don’t want to make him feel bad.
whopper

Postby whopper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:29 pm

he is certainly better in a zone than man for man. The funny thing is if he can be representative on defense (and I think he can) he can lure the other team into overplaying their hand by going at him in isolation if we are in man to man. He will be all right and will be more effective in some games than others. From what I have seen he seems to have more chemistry when Hankins and Castin are in which is actually understandable.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:33 pm

harryfe wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:00 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:20 pm
Match ups is always the reason somebody doesn’t play . (Not because of bad play such as Wellage’s defense). Don’t want to make him feel bad.
And he said because Harden and Kennedy were “feeling it”
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:00 pm

I'd rather see thevuoing guys get the playing time .I think Welage will get his chances and there will he a game here and there where he will come up big.He's pretty much here because we needed some players and he was available. He has to hit 3s to stay on the court
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:00 pm
I'd rather see thevuoing guys get the playing time .I think Welage will get his chances and there will he a game here and there where he will come up big.He's pretty much here because we needed some players and he was available. He has to hit 3s to stay on the court
I agree. If he is not hitting then “please take a seat”.
whopper

Postby whopper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:04 pm

I think the first game IUPUI had Castin at point guard as Q out and Welage got shots in rhythm. IUPUI beat Boston College which has beat a number of good teams so it was not a gimme. I have watched Welage and he has good zone defense instincts and OK man but some limitations. I think he will be a decent contributor and I think some of this defense complaining is a self fulfilling prophecy. Everybody needs to be read to play and contribute at all times and there will be an injury at some point to our core where everyone will have to step up

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”