longliveskip

Re: Miami Game Thread - 11-28-18

Postby longliveskip » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:44 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 pm
McX wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:31 pm
Out of a time out no less.

If that’s the play Travis drew up for them to run (which I doubt) he might as well gone south with V Ice.
T Steele has been less than impressive, but he has only coached 7 games. I don't think he called that shot. It was Goodin being his rouge, selfish self again. Steele's offense is eerily similar to Mack during the Tu-Lyon's tenure, where they basically dribbled around the perimeter for 25 seconds, then had someone chuck up a low percentge long three, or drive 3 on 1 in the lane. The team played great defense today, but I think the opponenet had somethimg to do with it. The offense was definitely better overall, except for the obligatory double digit low IQ shots, led by the ever delusional Goodin who still believes he channels Tre when shooting the ball.

Steele needs to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him soomer rather than later. Some of his tweets after the Maui tourney tells me he doesn't get the fan's critcism of his play.

why should he care about what criticism fans are giving him? you mean those people that sit at home on their couches and have never played a minute of basketball in their lives? those people? c'mon, man.

the only criticism that he should worry about is Coach Steele's, when he sits him down in the film room and breaks down the game, and shows him ways he can improve, which i'm sure happens with him and every other player.

in regards the offense - we moved the ball better PASSING last night than in Maui - the offense, for the most part, is not just DRIBBLING around. you could tell last night the focus was to swing the ball until we could get it into Tyrique or Hanky and we did a pretty good job of that. still too many zero or one pass possessions that aren't "in transition"m, though. those can get fixed,

defense and taking care of the ball was better, but when you play a team that doesn't really get out in the passing lanes/deny aggressively like Auburn/Illinois did, then you're probably not going to turn it over much. still don't like how many offensive rebounds we gave up and that we got outrebounded 41-33. that needs to change.

overall a nice game, though. our next two opponents are nice to have to work out some kinks in some things to prepare for UC.

let's hope they do that.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 am

Q's form is terrible and decision making in jacking up ill advised 3's needs to be in question. I don't really think he is a true point guard especially since it is difficult for him taking the ball up the court against smaller quicker guards. He is very effective taking it to the rack plus we don't have any other options. Naji and Scruggs looked solid and I was encouraged by the lack of TO's. Good for Kennedy to get valuable minutes and Kaislin too, who I typically don't notice. Good points as always AH.
Lenny7169

Postby Lenny7169 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am

In regards to those who continue to criticize our point guard, give it a break. How quickly some may forget. Q shot 30 percent from 3 last year. Q also had almost no offseason workouts or shoot arounds going into the 17-18 season . He had surgery and was out the entire off season. Guess what happened come big east play. Our sophomore point guard shot just under 40 percent. Nothing to write home about but I would take that out of any sophomore pg with q’s ability to get to the rim. Unfortunately for Q, misfortune struck again and he hurt his shooting shoulder this year. Yes, his shot selection at times is hard to cope with, but in order to get this team to tourney caliber, we NEED q to knock down outside shots, in order to take full advantage of his ability to dribble drive. Believe it or not, Mr Goodin is NOT a bad shooter. Ask anyone with real knowledge of his abilities. He’s dealing with some head issues because of that shoulder, but you beat that by watching a few go in. It will take some time, but he will find it. Keep shooting young man, keep shooting.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm

great post Lenny. Patience Muskie fans, everyone knew this was going to be a bumpy road. These young men are working hard and could use us all to be more like Oddball. Less negative waves man.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Patience will definitely be needed this whole season. Of note, Q did have 8 assists and 0 turnovers. Miami may not be the strongest defense, but Q handled and distributed the ball well last night and I'll take those numbers every game.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
McX wrote:

If that’s the play Travis drew up for them to run (which I doubt) he might as well gone south with V Ice.
T Steele has been less than impressive, but he has only coached 7 games. I don't think he called that shot. It was Goodin being his rouge, selfish self again. Steele's offense is eerily similar to Mack during the Tu-Lyon's tenure, where they basically dribbled around the perimeter for 25 seconds, then had someone chuck up a low percentge long three, or drive 3 on 1 in the lane. The team played great defense today, but I think the opponenet had somethimg to do with it. The offense was definitely better overall, except for the obligatory double digit low IQ shots, led by the ever delusional Goodin who still believes he channels Tre when shooting the ball.

Steele needs to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him soomer rather than later. Some of his tweets after the Maui tourney tells me he doesn't get the fan's critcism of his play.
I wonder what we would be saying had he made that shot!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:31 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
McX wrote:

I wonder what we would be saying had he made that shot!
The smart posters would have said,"Low IQ shot, but glad he made it."
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:37 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:44 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
McX wrote:

why should he care about what criticism fans are giving him? you mean those people that sit at home on their couches and have never played a minute of basketball in their lives? those people? c'mon, man.

the only criticism that he should worry about is Coach Steele's, when he sits him down in the film room and breaks down the game, and shows him ways he can improve, which i'm sure happens with him and every other player.

in regards the offense - we moved the ball better PASSING last night than in Maui - the offense, for the most part, is not just DRIBBLING around. you could tell last night the focus was to swing the ball until we could get it into Tyrique or Hanky and we did a pretty good job of that. still too many zero or one pass possessions that aren't "in transition"m, though. those can get fixed,

defense and taking care of the ball was better, but when you play a team that doesn't really get out in the passing lanes/deny aggressively like Auburn/Illinois did, then you're probably not going to turn it over much. still don't like how many offensive rebounds we gave up and that we got outrebounded 41-33. that needs to change.

overall a nice game, though. our next two opponents are nice to have to work out some kinks in some things to prepare for UC.

let's hope they do that.
why should he care about what criticism fans are giving him?

I agree that he shouldn’t care about what fan’s think, but he obviously does. For the record, I never commented on social media about him, not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but I agree with what the general sentiment was. He should concentrate on practicing his jump shot, and only take shots outside of the paint as a last resort, like when there is less than 2 seconds left on the shot clock. Also, when you characterize those criticizing him as people “sitting on their couches and never have played a minute,” may I asume you practice the same thing? I assume you’ve never criticized the President, Sec of State, Senators, House Reps, Referees, Actors, Chefs, Sword Swallowers, Trapeeze Artists, Alligator Wrestlers, the guy who has the unenviable task of having to shave Muskieman's back 2x a week, and other people whose roles you’ve never had? Incidentally, B Larkin said a lot of uncomplimentary things about Goodin’s shot selection as well. C’mon Man!
in regards the offense - we moved the ball better PASSING last night than in Maui - the offense, for the most part, is not just DRIBBLING around.

I agree they passed the ball much better, and generally didn’t just dribble the ball around for 25 seconds nearly as much as they have in the previous 6 games. They did have an ugly sequence when they shoot three consecutive treys early in the shot clock, by folks who shouldn’t be shooting them. They should be marked as turnovers IMO.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Lenny7169 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am
In regards to those who continue to criticize our point guard, give it a break. How quickly some may forget. Q shot 30 percent from 3 last year. Q also had almost no offseason workouts or shoot arounds going into the 17-18 season . He had surgery and was out the entire off season. Guess what happened come big east play. Our sophomore point guard shot just under 40 percent. Nothing to write home about but I would take that out of any sophomore pg with q’s ability to get to the rim. Unfortunately for Q, misfortune struck again and he hurt his shooting shoulder this year. Yes, his shot selection at times is hard to cope with, but in order to get this team to tourney caliber, we NEED q to knock down outside shots, in order to take full advantage of his ability to dribble drive. Believe it or not, Mr Goodin is NOT a bad shooter. Ask anyone with real knowledge of his abilities. He’s dealing with some head issues because of that shoulder, but you beat that by watching a few go in. It will take some time, but he will find it. Keep shooting young man, keep shooting.
I agree his shoulder injury has something to do with his bad shooting, but what’s your point? If a QB hurts his shoulder, do you think he should just sling bombs, even if he throws 5 INTs? Does his injury give him a perpetual “Get out of Jail Free Card?” His injury makes his sot selection that much more perplexing. He did shoot well during BE play from 3 land last year. However, based on his historical numbers, I think that was an anomaly. I wish that wasn’t the case, but it was hardly a large sample size. He was a poor shooter in high school as well. Without looking, I would guess that he already has shot more treys this year than all of BE play last year. He is playing low IQ ball on offense, and his 3 point shot is his defender’s best friend. Until he shoots over 35%, he needs to limit his treys to 1 or 2 wide open step in shots per game, and only when they have a comfortable lead.
Lenny7169

Postby Lenny7169 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:48 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm
Lenny7169 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am
I agree his shoulder injury has something to do with his bad shooting, but what’s your point? If a QB hurts his shoulder, do you think he should just sling bombs, even if he throws 5 INTs? Does his injury give him a perpetual “Get out of Jail Free Card?” His injury makes his sot selection that much more perplexing. He did shoot well during BE play from 3 land last year. However, based on his historical numbers, I think that was an anomaly. I wish that wasn’t the case, but it was hardly a large sample size. He was a poor shooter in high school as well. Without looking, I would guess that he already has shot more treys this year than all of BE play last year. He is playing low IQ ball on offense, and his 3 point shot is his defender’s best friend. Until he shoots over 35%, he needs to limit his treys to 1 or 2 wide open step in shots per game, and only when they have a comfortable lead.

My point is exactly your response. Clearly, You have no idea what you are talking about, nor does anyone else who wants to harp on a YOUNG MAN who made some poor shot selections and then talk about his basketball IQ. Yes indeed sir, in order to get your confidence back and trust your shot in BASKETBALL, you need to make shots. As a coach, I’ve witnessed this “phenomenon” quite a few times. Yes, we need Q to find that confidence, because guess what happens when he starts making them and defenders have to respect his shot? You don’t know? Ask Tre and JP how much fun they had wide open as he drove to the basket. I probably don’t need to continue, but I have to ask. Who told you he was a poor shooter in high school?Wikipedia? Did you scout him in high school or is this based off an article you read online? I went to quite a few of his games, and I can assure he you, he was the best shooter on the court more times than not. Lastly, I probably don’t need to say it, but did you really just compare a 3 point shot to a football being flung through the air? You just questioned Goodin’s basketball IQ, and you lob that out there afterwards? Have you ever heard the story about apples and oranges? Go back to Wikipedia and study up before posting such absurdities.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”