Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby skyhops » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Miserable game by Q and agree again with AH. Why Welage wasn't getting the ball agaisnt the zone shows the selfishness of this team. Get ready for seeing a lot of zone defense since we can't shoot and don't work from inside out. Nice effort by Scruggs who got hosed on many calls.
thecoach
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby thecoach » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Scruggs footwork on D is awful. If he'd learn how to move he'd avoid 75% of the calls.
Xavier2005
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm

struggled with a weak team, at home, enough said.
User avatar
olsingledigit
Posts: 5644
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:22 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm
struggled with a weak team, at home, enough said.
Just like in other years with better teams.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
bleedXblue
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby bleedXblue » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am

I still think Q is struggling with his shoulder......he is missing badly even close to the rim which has been his strength. Team and coach still trying to figure themselves out....have some patience guys, there is enough talent on this team to win 20 and go dancing. :D
X-lucidity
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am

While I cannot dispute the well articulated points by AH and 'Hops Re Q., I think we all need to take a rather significant step back. Then take a deep breath. While there is something to be said for shot selection, as in what is a good shot and what is a lousy shot, this year's squad needs to develop a decent scoring threat from Quentin. What else is on the bench eh..? Unless you believe Kennedy or Hardin can come in and provide quality Big E PG minutes. Or unless you believe Paul can handle the 1 more often. Nobody knows for sure but I have to believe Q's regression has been impacted mostly by the injury. It's early, something we like to say about the Reds and Lord knows that never works out. But it is early. I listened again to Steele's post game comments and he seems honest and earnest about the team. Travis stated that for the most part, he thought Q was taking shots within the context of the offense. (the key there being "for the most part" ) Now, we can long for something magic to appear on the bench as alternatives, or we can calm down and work through the process. Q seems to be pressing still and, as others have observed, still seems to be favoring the shoulder especially on drives to the bucket and at times on defensive efforts. I am going to continue to believe that as he slowly rises from roughly 90% healthy to 100%, his game will come around to form. This level of ball is demanding and unforgiving. If in your mind you are less than full-go in confidence, it can unravel fast. Our core of Scruggs, Naji and Q, plus the newcomers and recruits, are of decent enough skill and flexibility to evolve into a tourney entrant. Not a given by any means but the building blocks are there. One crucial block is Q. We need to have him confident and wanting to be one of our scorers. It's just that simple. As Mayo proclaimed famously; "we got nowhere else to go..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhbrIYGetc
Anti-Homer
Posts: 4904
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:26 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am
While I cannot dispute the well articulated points by AH and 'Hops Re Q., I think we all need to take a rather significant step back. Then take a deep breath. While there is something to be said for shot selection, as in what is a good shot and what is a lousy shot, this year's squad needs to develop a decent scoring threat from Quentin. What else is on the bench eh..? Unless you believe Kennedy or Hardin can come in and provide quality Big E PG minutes. Or unless you believe Paul can handle the 1 more often. Nobody knows for sure but I have to believe Q's regression has been impacted mostly by the injury. It's early, something we like to say about the Reds and Lord knows that never works out. But it is early. I listened again to Steele's post game comments and he seems honest and earnest about the team. Travis stated that for the most part, he thought Q was taking shots within the context of the offense. (the key there being "for the most part" ) Now, we can long for something magic to appear on the bench as alternatives, or we can calm down and work through the process. Q seems to be pressing still and, as others have observed, still seems to be favoring the shoulder especially on drives to the bucket and at times on defensive efforts. I am going to continue to believe that as he slowly rises from roughly 90% healthy to 100%, his game will come around to form. This level of ball is demanding and unforgiving. If in your mind you are less than full-go in confidence, it can unravel fast. Our core of Scruggs, Naji and Q, plus the newcomers and recruits, are of decent enough skill and flexibility to evolve into a tourney entrant. Not a given by any means but the building blocks are there. One crucial block is Q. We need to have him confident and wanting to be one of our scorers. It's just that simple. As Mayo proclaimed famously; "we got nowhere else to go..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhbrIYGetc
this year's squad needs to develop a decent scoring threat from Quentin.
I agree with the overall sentiment, but I don't believe forcing bad shots will help either him or the team. it contributed largely to the loss against Auburn. I don't know if he has the capacity to be a good outside shooter. I think outside of BE play last year, he has been a poor outside shooter. However, he is really good (up until this year) at finishing at the rim, drawing fouls, and collapsing the D by driving and dishing it out to good, outside shooters. It would be different if Welage was shooting that poorly because he has proven himself to be a great outside shooter. Would you want TJones to start taking his man off the dribble on the wing to score? I'd rather have him anchor down low in the paint. if he can't score there, he shouldn't try and fit a triangle block into a circular opening during games, unless they are blowouts.
Travis stated that for the most part, he thought Q was taking shots within the context of the offense.
I don't have to look very far to see why X is so inefficient on offense and struggles to put away bad, CBI bubble teams.
As Mayo proclaimed famously; "we got nowhere else to go..."
Muskieman also gave Q a pack of toothbrushes and had him clean the floor at the Cintas.
X-Expert
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby X-Expert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Q has been a very good PG for two years. Primarily because he has had zero responsibility to be a scorer. He is very strong and could get to the rim one on one. The problem for him this year is that without a real consistent outside threat (multiple threats), teams are playing him differently. They are sagging a little with no respect for his shot. Secondly, when he drives, there is much more defensive help so even his shots in the paint are challenged. Last couple of years, no one was going to leave Bluitt or JP open to help. As for his outside shot, Q had a 6 game stretch last year in conference where he had an out of body experience shooting 3s. Take that away, and he was what he is-a poor outside shooter. I like Q but he needs to find the best way to use his strengths. His injury didn't hurt him against IUPUI. He was 3-4 that game because it was that once in a blue moon kind of day. You can't say X needs to get offense out of Q-the type of offense X needs he cannot provide. Kennedy and Hardin must become confident shooters and Goodin must find them. This is a team in which the worse 3 point shooters (Marshall and Goodin) are taking by far the most 3s-that makes no sense and plays right into the hands of the other team. Over time, percentages catch up with you. As I said, Q was great shooting for about six games last year and was awful after that. Just look at the BE tourney and NCAA tourney to show that. The SDSU game this year showed the same thing. X came out shooting lights out but their poor shooting caught up with them and went from up 19 to lose by ten. The Bearcats will force X to shoot from the outside and will be challenged inside which will be tough for Hankins/Jones. I am just hopeful that Kennedy and Hardin take a huge step forward.
skyhops
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby skyhops » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am

Agree 100% x-pert, well said. I can understand Q and Naji not being great shooters, but for them and especially Q taking the most 3's is insane. Unfortunately we have no true backup PG, thanks Mack.
thecoach
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Oakland Game Thread - 12-1-18

Postby thecoach » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am
Agree 100% x-pert, well said. I can understand Q and Naji not being great shooters, but for them and especially Q taking the most 3's is insane. Unfortunately we have no true backup PG, thanks Mack.
Speaking of pg's Hops, remember this guy, one L. Austin Jr. now at CMU:

SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2018-19 CMU 30.6 7.8-14.1 .551 0.1-0.8 .143 3.9-6.9 .565 5.1 4.4 0.2 2.3 2.2 3.0 19.6
2017-18 VAN 11.0 1.0-2.3 .415 0.0-0.2 .250 0.6-1.0 .565 1.4 1.0 0.0 0.2 1.2 0.7 2.5
2015-16 XAV 10.1 0.6-1.6 .404 0.0-0.0 .000 0.6-1.0 .625 1.2 1.2 0.0 0.6 1.2 0.8 1.9
2014-15 XAV 4.3 0.3-0.5 .500 0.0-0.0 .000 0.1-0.2 .750 0.4 0.2 0.0 0.2 0.6 0.4 0.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests