Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Ohio Game Thread December 5 , 2018

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:36 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm
Jones walked off floor and got under the stands and stopped and bent over. Not a good look. Hope he is okay but getting your bell rung might mean no play Saturday.
That's the fear.
And Hankins looked like he was under the weather tonight
Someone take that flu over to the Bearcats
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Hankins did look like he was under the weather tonight but hope he is in full swing on Saturday. Tonight game was a tale of two halves. They seemed to throw it around and turn it over in the first half and then Naji and Paul seemed to just take over and willed the team. Their second half D was much better and seemed to play a little harder after they started turning Ohio over.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Hankins did look like he was under the weather tonight but hope he is in full swing on Saturday. Tonight game was a tale of two halves. They seemed to throw it around and turn it over in the first half and then Naji and Paul seemed to just take over and willed the team. Their second half D was much better and seemed to play a little harder after they started turning Ohio over.
Mman,

Once again you are the bearer of words of wisdom. The old adage is true: "Big winds do come out of empty caves". X played a horrid 1st half, with so many unforced turnovers and matador defense, but played a tremendous 2nd half from the 15 minute mark on. As a negative fan complained about the undisciplined, low IQ play, my nephew said X has been a great 2nd half team. He was right, as they turned in on again tonight. They had double-digit turnovers in the 1st half, and only had a handful in the 2nd.

Scruggs played a very good game, other than a few bad t.o.s, and his penchant for early fouls again. He is clearly the best overall offensive player for X. Marshall was as good in the 2nd half, as he was bad in the 1st. Welage hit several treys, which X will need Sat. because UC will pack it in as any good defensive team would.

I hope Jones is ok. I do think Hankins matches up better against the UC bigs than Jones, but he will need to be spelled.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm
muskieman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Mman,

Once again you are the bearer of words of wisdom. The old adage is true: "Big winds do come out of empty caves". X played a horrid 1st half, with so many unforced turnovers and matador defense, but played a tremendous 2nd half from the 15 minute mark on. As a negative fan complained about the undisciplined, low IQ play, my nephew said X has been a great 2nd half team. He was right, as they turned in on again tonight. They had double-digit turnovers in the 1st half, and only had a handful in the 2nd.

Scruggs played a very good game, other than a few bad t.o.s, and his penchant for early fouls again. He is clearly the best overall offensive player for X. Marshall was as good in the 2nd half, as he was bad in the 1st. Welage hit several treys, which X will need Sat. because UC will pack it in as any good defensive team would.

I hope Jones is ok. I do think Hankins matches up better against the UC bigs than Jones, but he will need to be spelled.
Glad you pointed out where all your wind comes from...might do something about that musty wind smell and don't try the Channel you pilfered from your grandma.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm
Scruggs has played a great game so far
And note to thecoach aka UC troll - he is moving his feet 8-)
Actually i cannot take credit for that observation entirely as it came from a certain former assistant coach who now makes a bigger paycheck south of the Mason Dixon line. His belief which is generally well founded is that unless a kid has been very well schooled defensively early on, the guys who are bigger and longer for their position often struggle to play defense at the next level where guys are both bigger and quicker. You can get by in hschool not focusing on keeping a guy in front of you and remaining vertical as your physical tools and size allow you to erase bad positioning, but a level up it often translates into bumps and awkward contact that will get called. You can live with it for 20 minutes, but when you step up to 30 minutes, it translates into fouling out. He's struggled since day 1, but the good news is he became a better defender last year. Hopefully someone works with him to the same success in 2019. If you can't move your feet to keep guys in front of you, your stuck at any position.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Glad to see my friends AH and MM getting along so well. They remind me of Tu and Cheeks Lyons. Zip em up.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 am

My vote for best post of this young season above, - well done 'Hops....!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”