Different Perspecitve on Steele/X

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

Different Perspecitve on Steele/X

Postby X-Expert » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 pm

There appears to be a theme on here questioning Steele. While I’m not an apologist for him as the jury is still out, I think its hard to blame him for the offensive woes. Honestly, its more on Mack. X currently has no seniors and the Freshmen talent is not great. That is on Mack’s recruiting. All you need to do is see the last five minutes of the FSU game last year when JP fouled out, Bluitt was forced to dribble so struggled, and the offense featured Scruggs, Goodin, and Gates. X could not score. That is the same as this year. X has quick slashers but no one to hit the outside shot to stretch the defense. Last year, X had 2-3 guys who could hit the 3 at all times not to mention a 5 in Kanter who often got double teamed. That opened up so much for everyone else-not to mention you cannot come off Bluitt or JP who could hang around the arc keeping the middle open should Marshall (4th option) or Goodin (5th option) see an opportunity. UC just sagged down begging Marshall and Goodin to shoot. X started 2-3 from 3s then went 3-22 to end the game. When the entire defense sags, you are driving into a double team. That’s why they would dribble toward the goal then turn back and look up and its 10 seconds on the shot clock. Finally, on offense, this team can be guarded one one on one with no additional help needed. You don’t see teams doubling down (except some of the inferior teams) on Hankins or Jones. You don’t have to. They can dunk and occasionally hit a shot but they have to bet set up-again tougher to do with a sagging defense. Heck, Jones will catch the ball from 5 feet out and try to dribble to get a closer, easier shot.
I do however wonder with Steele’s plan with this team’s defense and strategy. I know you have to be careful because X (mainly Scruggs) commits at least one bad foul a game but given that their offense is so bad, they need to steal possessions or try and get easy ones. I wish X would do more ball pressure, traps, and create transition offense. Their D seems to be improving but UC was also exposed as they are not a good offensive team-just better than X. Going to be long year unless something really clicks but I don’t see it. X doesn’t have the horses. I would really like to see if Hardin/Kennedy can get more playing time to help them for next year-particularly when Goodin and Marshall take bad shots. Goodin was not good the first half of his freshman year but after Ed got hurt, he really improved with more playing time. Finally, for those who remember, X used to absolutely sell out with double screens for Jamie Gladden to get him good looks. Perhaps they can do the same for Welage. He needs a little time to get his shot off. The main thing Steele can control for next year is recruiting and I think he had a great first year. I’m giving him somewhat of a pass this year.
joeabe

Re: Different Perspecitve on Steele/X

Postby joeabe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Terrific post, right on the money...Unfortunately.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am

Good post and pretty much on the money. I remember the FSU game thinking that it is going to be a long two years, especially since most knew Mack was gone. The lack of shooters and basketball players is as much on Mack as anyone, but I do think that we are missing Mack's intensity during the game. I'm not certain why we were supposed to be this tough defensive minded team considering we rolled over the second half and Marshall, Goodin, and Jones repeatedly take plays off. I'm still scratching my head over Welage getting burned on eight straight points against Cumberland while everyone else did nothing. If Hardin and Jones can't get into the game on Saturday we are in big trouble.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm

I also agree that Mack didn't recruit (possibly because other coaches told recruits he was leaving) and then Curtis and Bodreau (spelling ? decomitted and we lost them. Who knows how many recruits took Xavier off their list because it was commonly known Mack was leaving. So Steele had to take what he could get and ended up with three grad transfers and some players over the one hundreds ratings. Next year looks fairly good ( but again the players will be freshmen and will take time to adjust to Div 1 basketball) so it will take time to get chemistry. Xavier has had some bad breaks (the flu running thru the team) and it has an affect. Players that were like fill ins last year are now expected to be the primary leaders are still adjusting and the five new guys are also adjusting. The individual talent is above average but they are still learning to play as a team. I think we all knew that this was going to a tough year and now, at least for now, it has proven to be true. I am with the team no matter what our record turns out to be. Go Xavier!
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 pm

so we lose Welage, Hankins and Castlin. i can't imagine anyone else leaves but after what Gates did, who knows. however, IF no one leaves and we bring back the core of Goodin, Marshall, Scruggs, and Jones - that's a pretty good core 4 right there (with another year of improvement under their belt) and add on next year's class, i think the future is bright.

let's hope this team can get it together THIS year but i'm not so sure. gonna be some rough sledding.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 pm
so we lose Welage, Hankins and Castlin. i can't imagine anyone else leaves but after what Gates did, who knows. however, IF no one leaves and we bring back the core of Goodin, Marshall, Scruggs, and Jones - that's a pretty good core 4 right there (with another year of improvement under their belt) and add on next year's class, i think the future is bright.

let's hope this team can get it together THIS year but i'm not so sure. gonna be some rough sledding.
The guy i'd worry about not returning is Jones. He looks frustrated in the half court offense. Some of it may be his fault, but there is an awful lot going on out on the perimeter and his touches are often not very consistent.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm
longliveskip wrote:

The guy i'd worry about not returning is Jones. He looks frustrated in the half court offense. Some of it may be his fault, but there is an awful lot going on out on the perimeter and his touches are often not very consistent.
if i was him, i'd be frustrated as well. the offense should RUN through him. does that mean he shoots inside every time? no. but we need to make more of a concerted effort to enter the ball into the post, cut, spot up, etc. our offense runs so much better when we do that.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm
thecoach wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm
longliveskip wrote:

if i was him, i'd be frustrated as well. the offense should RUN through him. does that mean he shoots inside every time? no. but we need to make more of a concerted effort to enter the ball into the post, cut, spot up, etc. our offense runs so much better when we do that.
maybe demanding the ball would help. West did it, Butler did it, Stainbrook did it...
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm

People who are already doubting Steele are just fools but they probably did the same with Mack,Miller ,Matta etc.Macks record after his first 10 games...6 and 4 and he had a lot more talent on that team.I agree that Mack's last 2 recruiting classes were weak outside of Marshall and Scruggs. Its just going to be a tough year. Good news is no one in the BE plays defense like UC.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm not sure I want the offense running thru Jones considering most of the time he gets the ball he shoots it and his range is about 4' and in. He and Hankins got schooled and I wouldn't consider UC's front court as intimidating.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”