Different Perspecitve on Steele/X

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jct1941

Re: Different Perspecitve on Steele/X

Postby jct1941 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Most of us have forgot that Sean Miller had a record of 17 and 12 his first year and went 20+ wins his next four years and everyone was moaning about that. So lets give Steele a chance to do the same. With Goodin missing four weeks due to a shoulder separation, and bouts with players with the flu, and trying to mold three grad transfers and three freshmen into a team it will take some time for that to gel. I am with everyone else that he has to reign some players in on shooting when after 10 games they have proved they can't make even open threes. He is the coach and is with almost every day and I think he will work things out on that score. What he does not need is for the fans and posters getting on his back. Go Xavier!
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 am

Miller and Mack both got off to rougher starts at X. Its wayyy to early to draw any conclusions. Everyone calm down and enjoy some unusually average basketball for a year or so. As long as there isnt a major implosion, we gotta sit and hope to beat the odds. Come year 3 and we get smoked like this again by Cronin, then we can react.

Caveat: It is acceptable, as a passionate fan, to criticize and/or support along the way.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am

skyhops wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 pm
I'm not sure I want the offense running thru Jones considering most of the time he gets the ball he shoots it and his range is about 4' and in. He and Hankins got schooled and I wouldn't consider UC's front court as intimidating.
i'm not saying he has the be THE first option to score. all i'm saying is that there needs to be more of a concerted effort to get him the ball in the post. good things happen when we do that. offense needs to run inside/out. guys can move, cut, spot up, relocate when the ball's in the post. it should start there.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 am

Agreed, anything is better than Q and Naji dribbling for 20 seconds only to turn it over or take a bad shot. Hopefully, Hankins is feeling better he didn't look right last week.
gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am

Coach Steele said after the game, "UC stopped our game plan." When asked what exactly was his game plan, he said that he didn't want to divulge it." I give up Travis, what's the worry after the horse just galloped over the horizon? Are you worried that future opponents might figure out what you're trying to do to them? Why not just admit that you really didn't HAVE a game plan?
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:33 am

gym from delhi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am
Coach Steele said after the game, "UC stopped our game plan." When asked what exactly was his game plan, he said that he didn't want to divulge it." I give up Travis, what's the worry after the horse just galloped over the horizon? Are you worried that future opponents might figure out what you're trying to do to them? Why not just admit that you really didn't HAVE a game plan?
Goodin's comments about UC's defense also made me cringe a little bit too.It's like they really weren't prepared
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:53 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm
People who are already doubting Steele are just fools but they probably did the same with Mack,Miller ,Matta etc.Macks record after his first 10 games...6 and 4 and he had a lot more talent on that team.I agree that Mack's last 2 recruiting classes were weak outside of Marshall and Scruggs. Its just going to be a tough year. Good news is no one in the BE plays defense like UC.
Thanks for your perspective, Nostradamus. Mack did have a lot more talent his first year, but he did reach the Sweet 16. Whether it was a finish fitting considering the team’s talent level is anyone’s guess. Are you suggesting that may happen with this year's team? It won't unless all the coaches in the BE develop a severe gambling habit and have an incentive to bet on X to run the table.

Steele, imo, has more talent than many think. Funny how the assessment of their talent level has been downgraded significantly by many posters, based solely on the record, and not the management of players and in-game strategy. I think a lot of teams would gladly have 3 - 40%+ 3 point shooters on their team, plus a core of four players who contributed significantly to a nummber one seeded team, along with highly acclaimed transfers in their respective leagues.

However, I'll hesitate to call my good friend bluegrass a fool as he calls others who disagree with him. I do agree that no one in the BE plays defense like UC. Let’s also hope none play D like SD State either. On the flip side, all teams play better offensively than UC.

Regardless, this year, AH has Steele’s back. He has shown to be a great recruiter. Hopefully, his coaching acumen catches up and he doesn’t follow the fate of a favorite son 4 miles away in Clifton, Tony Yates.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 pm
I also agree that Mack didn't recruit (possibly because other coaches told recruits he was leaving) and then Curtis and Bodreau (spelling ? decomitted and we lost them. Who knows how many recruits took Xavier off their list because it was commonly known Mack was leaving. So Steele had to take what he could get and ended up with three grad transfers and some players over the one hundreds ratings. Next year looks fairly good ( but again the players will be freshmen and will take time to adjust to Div 1 basketball) so it will take time to get chemistry. Xavier has had some bad breaks (the flu running thru the team) and it has an affect. Players that were like fill ins last year are now expected to be the primary leaders are still adjusting and the five new guys are also adjusting. The individual talent is above average but they are still learning to play as a team. I think we all knew that this was going to a tough year and now, at least for now, it has proven to be true. I am with the team no matter what our record turns out to be. Go Xavier!
possibly because other coaches told recruits he was leaving
Or because CM started having an affair with a team he met on Tinder in the late summer of 17, distracting him from his primary duties at X.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 pm
Most of us have forgot that Sean Miller had a record of 17 and 12 his first year and went 20+ wins his next four years and everyone was moaning about that. So lets give Steele a chance to do the same. With Goodin missing four weeks due to a shoulder separation, and bouts with players with the flu, and trying to mold three grad transfers and three freshmen into a team it will take some time for that to gel. I am with everyone else that he has to reign some players in on shooting when after 10 games they have proved they can't make even open threes. He is the coach and is with almost every day and I think he will work things out on that score. What he does not need is for the fans and posters getting on his back. Go Xavier!
Most of us have forgot that Sean Miller had a record of 17 and 12 his first year and went 20+ wins his next four years and everyone was moaning about that
Really? And you know this how? I'm well aware the best coach in X's history won more games every year during his tenure, with A-10 players. The hope is that Steele learned a lot from SM, minus....you know.....some of the off the court stuff at AZ.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 pm

gym from delhi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am
Yea, he says/does a lot of perplexing things. AH still holds out great hope, however!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”