Mizzou Game Thread 12-18-18

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Mizzou Game Thread 12-18-18

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm

X had a 9-3 lead at one point. Then Coach Steele lit a victory cigar, while Marshall and Kennedy hoisted up improbable treys, and X also had 2 or 3 turnovers in the next 2 minute plus. The rest of the half saw Mizzou put on a 40-18 shellacking to end the half. I hope Marshall and the guys enjoyed the Malcolm in the Middle show they watched on in preparation for the game.

I won't be a sadist and listen to the vomitous Marvin Lewis like cliches Steele will spew in his post-game show. Prediction: In two years, we'll be playing 1 for 2 games at Miami of OH.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm
X had a 9-3 lead at one point. Then Coach Steele lit a victory cigar, while Marshall and Kennedy hoisted up improbable treys, and X also had 2 or 3 turnovers in the next 2 minute plus. The rest of the half saw Mizzou put on a 40-18 shellacking to end the half. I hope Marshall and the guys enjoyed the Malcolm in the Middle show they watched on in preparation for the game.

I won't be a sadist and listen to the vomitous Marvin Lewis like cliches Steele will spew in his post-game show. Prediction: In two years, we'll be playing 1 for 2 games at Miami of OH.
Steele just said that players just need to "do your job".
Said that saying has worked well for Melvin... I mean Marvin.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Scruggs and Welage are both shooting over 40% from 3
They go 2-5 tonight with Welage getting benched in the 2H
The rest of the Gang that can't Shoot Straight went 4-14 or 28% and that would have been worse if Q didn't make a garbage 3 late
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
skyking

Postby skyking » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Is Tay Baker still available? 🤔
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Well that wasn't pretty... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Loses go in your soul."
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Are we leading the country in turnovers? This was painful to watch. I am sure we have to give Travis a break and some time to figure it out but not a very good start to a very long season and already turning ugly. I think Mack saw this coming and jumped ship for more than the money.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm
Hankins is at least playing like he gives a sh$t which is better than watching Jones laugh every time he turns it over.
Unfortunately he is no match for Tillman
Hankins, Welage, and Scruggs have been the only beacons of hope so far this year.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm
Hankins is at least playing like he gives a sh$t which is better than watching Jones laugh every time he turns it over.
Unfortunately he is no match for Tillman
Hankins, Welage, and Scruggs have been the only beacons of hope so far this year.
you must not be watching Welage on D then. My hope for the New Year is that this was the low point of the season.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Reluctantly,

I have to restore balance to the board as Shadow just chewed my ear off for 15 minutes, as the latter is one of my core responsibilities.

Fact: T Steele is a first-year coach, and despite how many years you sit next to the guy in the padded chair, it ain't the same. Some take longer to acclimate than others. Just a few short months ago, I had to tell Mman to eat his fish with a light beverage like lemonade, versus the 3 grape soda cans he was going to drink during a Lenten dinner.

Fact: T Steele had to undo the AWOL perpetrated by his predecessor, and did as good a job as anyone could have hoped of getting quality players, though clearly not high caliber ones.

Fact: He is working his ass off, even if the results aren't showing, even against a pretty weak ooc schedule relative to X's standards.

Fact: They lost their 3 best, and 6th best players from last year's squad. O'Mara would be option 1A on offense along with Scruggs this year.

Fact: Steele seems like a good man, who I'm sure is frustrated more than anybody.

Despite that, he did make some declarations and statements before the season that really makes one scratch his head.

1. This will be a very good defensive team this year.

2. This team will have no problem scoring.

3. I'm glad the NBA didn't take a closer look at Hankins.

4. D James is going to make an impact this year.

5. Marshall will have a breakout year.

I think an enthusiastic 1st-year coach should be forgiven for making such clearly erroneous statements, as I certainly had the same feeling about Marshall. Coach seems like a bright guy, and is clearly highly regarded for his offensive acumen, but many assistant offensive gurus failed when they became head coaches. I still don't think this will necessarily be Steele's fate, but I certainly was disappointed last week when he said he still has the utmost confidence in Naj and Goodin taking treys. This isn't 3rd-grade CYO basketball. I'm not saying he should throw them under the bus as his predecessor did on more than one occasion, but he doesn't seem to make adjustments.

This year thus far has been nothing short of a disappointment, and even in possibly the worst Big East since its inception, this team is destined for the CBI. I just hope they don't end up with the dubious distinction of regressing the most as a One seed, to a plus 250 rpi (or higher) team this year. We don't need that stinking record.

I think Steele needs an experienced coach on the bench next year. That and an influx of talent can change the free-fall trajectory. I hope this sentence can be edited by year's end.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm

The only thing Marshall is going to break this year is the backboard from throwing up so many bricks. I do like that theory though on setting himself up for comeback coach of the year. I didn't even realize there was such an award.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”