Mizzou Game Thread 12-18-18

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Mizzou Game Thread 12-18-18

Postby skyhops » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Welage is not solid on D but Jones got chewed up down low and Naji puts forth little effort
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm
Hankins is at least playing like he gives a sh$t which is better than watching Jones laugh every time he turns it over.
Unfortunately he is no match for Tillman
Hankins, Welage, and Scruggs have been the only beacons of hope so far this year.
you must not be watching Welage on D then. My hope for the New Year is that this was the low point of the season.
Yea,

Because the top 6 who take the lion's share of the minutes have been like the Bearcats or Cavaliers on defense, against bad teams for the most part. Mman, don't embarrass me again, lest you risk your role as my Mentor you proudly put in your email signature.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 pm

thecoach wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm
The only thing Marshall is going to break this year is the backboard from throwing up so many bricks. I do like that theory though on setting himself up for comeback coach of the year. I didn't even realize there was such an award.
Sorry about your paper tiger Cats getting throttled by an 11 seed. They're better than X for once in a decade but Mick will slide in since he plays in a putrid league and will cement his legend as one of the worst coaches in the NCAA tourney. Cheers.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 pm

When a team cannot shoot and I believe this could be the worst shooting team in my memory at Xavier, then you must be the best defensive team you can be. On D you don't kneed exceptional talent but you must have the "want to". We have some athletes on this squad with length. Me thinks we could really have a better than average season if we focused on being the best defensive team in the BE. Perhaps we could create turnovers and runouts for easier baskets . We are now playing offense like we are an NBA team launching 3's only we have about an 18% chance of hitting them. We positively cannot win using our current game plan. We ain't got the studs!! I believe the kids would buy in if it produced W's......I'm seriously concerned Steele is loosing his team? The last couple of games has been very embarrassing for players. Go X!!
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57 pm

This is a bad team. Plain & simple - no amount of lipstick is going to disguise this pig. The dudes who like to shoot it the most, aside from Scruggs from time to time, can't shoot. Naji has taken a step back - when he is not hoisting a deep brick, he is driving & spinning aimlessly towards a likely turnover or off-balance shot. Our post D is non-existent. Hardin cannot play at this level, he sticks out like a sore thumb when in, and given our overall lack of quality talent this is even more worrisome that he can't contribute.... We can certainly hold out hope for some collective "enlightenment". We can hope that by end of year we look back with a smile and recall how this Mizzou loss was the low-point upon which we then climbed back up the ladder. We can hope Coach Steele has some defensive magic up his sleeve. Unfortunately until additional recruiting classes come on campus, that's all we really have to hang our hats on, hope...
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 am

Naji is a disaster on offense. Q is typically similar with the occasional good game. Scruggs doesn't seem to want to score much. The bigs are very limited. The only chance this team has at being good is if that get after it on defense for 40 minutes.

I wish the team luck but I'm canceling YouTube TV until next season. Travis is definitely making me nervous for the various reasons pointed out already. It is his first year and he doesn't have the players to be great so I'll wait to pass judgement for another couple years. His weaknesses seem similar to the things that made Mack so frustrating. Mack was lucky enough to have a standout player or 2 each year to keep things interesting. That is unfortunately not the case this year.
webxu

Postby webxu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:31 am

If only we had the a10 to mask our weakness this year... (kidding of course). But Mack was 8-5 his first year in non-conference. so lets pump the brakes a bit.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am

let's face it - we all kind of knew this would be a long season - too many new faces to gel with the core that we had, and the "core" of Q, Scruggs, Marshall, and Jones, aren't nearly as good as some of the core we've had returning to teams in recent years, be it Bluiett/Macura, Tu/Lyons, etc.

when it comes down to it, 90% of NCAA D1 basketball is having guys who can knock down shots, whether it's a 3 or even a 17-footer. we just don't have those guys. meaning our BEST players can't do that. they can't create their own shot or knock down wide open ones. that's the biggest issue with this team.

the other issue stems more from Steele and it's 2-fold:

1.) he isn't getting these guys to play hard all the time, no matter the score. that's disappointing. whatever it is, they simply aren't selling out for him, so either they don't believe in him and what he's saying, or they just don't care. either way, it's a bad look for Steele and the program.

2.) his system, especially offensively, isn't working for this team. i get that as a coach you recruit the players you think will fit well into your offensive scheme but sometimes, just like any puzzle you put together, you THINK a piece fits, you try it in a spot, and it doesn't. that's the definition of this team right now on offense. our offense is predicated on guys either dribble driving/getting to the rim or coming off a ball screen and making a play, and we just don't have guys who make good decisions doing that. it causes us to dribble into traffic too often and makes them turn it over or take a bad shot. they need something more structured and less "loose" or "subjective".

and lastly, in regards to Mack - because some people on here love to place blame on him for this season, but let's remember this: Steele was his main recruiter, the guy out there who's job it was to FIND the guys and let Mack know 'hey, we need to get so and so". it's not like Mack did it all by himself and just didn't do squat to get players to come to X. secondly, if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, Shannon Russell wrote a nice piece on JP and his G-league life, how it's going for him, etc. and he was asked about the FSU game in the tourney from last season (mainly because he plays with a guy from FSU) and his quote was exactly this "FSU had a pretty athletic team but the coaches did a really good job of scouting them and having a good game plan. We just didn't play well. Me fouling out didn't help." Doesn't sound to me like a kid who thinks his coach had one foot out the door, didn't really feel like coaching in the tourney, and didn't want to win, now does it? but hey, i'm sure there's a few on here who will spew there vitriol for Mack and just chalk this season up to being his fault and that's fine. whatever helps you sleep at night.

either way, this is Steele's team and he has to get these guys to buy into what he's selling and also put in place a system that gives them the best chance to win. clearly, he's not doing that right now.
webxu

Postby webxu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

it doesn't take talent to put forth effort. Defense and rebounding are two facets of the game that effort means more than talent. Some nights you miss shots ( with this teams its most nights) but the hustle and effort show the character of a man and our team isn't showing any.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am
let's face it - we all kind of knew this would be a long season - too many new faces to gel with the core that we had, and the "core" of Q, Scruggs, Marshall, and Jones, aren't nearly as good as some of the core we've had returning to teams in recent years, be it Bluiett/Macura, Tu/Lyons, etc.

when it comes down to it, 90% of NCAA D1 basketball is having guys who can knock down shots, whether it's a 3 or even a 17-footer. we just don't have those guys. meaning our BEST players can't do that. they can't create their own shot or knock down wide open ones. that's the biggest issue with this team.

the other issue stems more from Steele and it's 2-fold:

1.) he isn't getting these guys to play hard all the time, no matter the score. that's disappointing. whatever it is, they simply aren't selling out for him, so either they don't believe in him and what he's saying, or they just don't care. either way, it's a bad look for Steele and the program.

2.) his system, especially offensively, isn't working for this team. i get that as a coach you recruit the players you think will fit well into your offensive scheme but sometimes, just like any puzzle you put together, you THINK a piece fits, you try it in a spot, and it doesn't. that's the definition of this team right now on offense. our offense is predicated on guys either dribble driving/getting to the rim or coming off a ball screen and making a play, and we just don't have guys who make good decisions doing that. it causes us to dribble into traffic too often and makes them turn it over or take a bad shot. they need something more structured and less "loose" or "subjective".

and lastly, in regards to Mack - because some people on here love to place blame on him for this season, but let's remember this: Steele was his main recruiter, the guy out there who's job it was to FIND the guys and let Mack know 'hey, we need to get so and so". it's not like Mack did it all by himself and just didn't do squat to get players to come to X. secondly, if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, Shannon Russell wrote a nice piece on JP and his G-league life, how it's going for him, etc. and he was asked about the FSU game in the tourney from last season (mainly because he plays with a guy from FSU) and his quote was exactly this "FSU had a pretty athletic team but the coaches did a really good job of scouting them and having a good game plan. We just didn't play well. Me fouling out didn't help." Doesn't sound to me like a kid who thinks his coach had one foot out the door, didn't really feel like coaching in the tourney, and didn't want to win, now does it? but hey, i'm sure there's a few on here who will spew there vitriol for Mack and just chalk this season up to being his fault and that's fine. whatever helps you sleep at night.

either way, this is Steele's team and he has to get these guys to buy into what he's selling and also put in place a system that gives them the best chance to win. clearly, he's not doing that right now.
Absolutely Steele was the assistant but Mack is the closer with the recruits. Why do you think players de-committed (i.e. Boudreaux and Curtis). They both talked about how there was a coaching change even though Curtis always said Travis was like a second father to him. The issue is the players on this team that Mack recruited were great pieces with the likes of Tre and JP. They aren't finishers or shooters. Mack's inability to recruit good shooters over the past couple of years have really hurt. the fact that this team has zero seniors and a lackluster freshmen class is on Mack's lack of recruiting. I agree that its foolish to think mack had a foot out the door during the FSU game but the fact that he didn't recruit for an entire year is completely on the fact that everyone knew he was leaving. Heck mack told a currently Louisville commit while he was at X that "he could play wherever he is coaching." sounds like a foot out the door there for sure

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”