Re: Mizzou Game Thread 12-18-18

Postby muskieman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Hankins, Welage, and Scruggs have been the only beacons of hope so far this year.
you must not be watching Welage on D then. My hope for the New Year is that this was the low point of the season.
Yea,

Because the top 6 who take the lion's share of the minutes have been like the Bearcats or Cavaliers on defense, against bad teams for the most part. Mman, don't embarrass me again, lest you risk your role as my Mentor you proudly put in your email signature.
Don't be a nasty drunk AH. I watched as Welage (who is 6th on the team with minutes played and is 6'10") get tangled up with his own legs like a giraffe on crack. As big as he is he seemed outmanned most of the time against Mizzou as he was faked out at the three point line and couldn't get to one rebound. I guess he thinks he has a larger wing span than he does as he guards a three pointer with his hand no higher than the opponents chest. Granted no one looked good the other night but like you do when you are getting your pocket picked by that 6th grade you play one-on-one with at the YWCA Welage just looked lost. Face it if he was so productive his minutes whould not have dwindled so much against better teams. Not too hard to defend when of your 75 shots only 14 are not three point range. Hey I like him but maybe he has problems with physical teams.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 pm

you must not be watching Welage on D then. My hope for the New Year is that this was the low point of the season.
Yea,

Because the top 6 who take the lion's share of the minutes have been like the Bearcats or Cavaliers on defense, against bad teams for the most part. Mman, don't embarrass me again, lest you risk your role as my Mentor you proudly put in your email signature.
Don't be a nasty drunk AH. I watched as Welage (who is 6th on the team with minutes played and is 6'10") get tangled up with his own legs like a giraffe on crack. As big as he is he seemed outmanned most of the time against Mizzou as he was faked out at the three point line and couldn't get to one rebound. I guess he thinks he has a larger wing span than he does as he guards a three pointer with his hand no higher than the opponents chest. Granted no one looked good the other night but like you do when you are getting your pocket picked by that 6th grade you play one-on-one with at the YWCA Welage just looked lost. Face it if he was so productive his minutes whould not have dwindled so much against better teams. Not too hard to defend when of your 75 shots only 14 are not three point range. Hey I like him but maybe he has problems with physical teams.
Mman,

Please check the batteries in your CO detector immediately! Unfortunately, Marshall doesn't belong in the top 3 so far, as he has regressed mightily this year (lowest 3 point % on the team at 22%, 3rd lowest fg % at 42%, and 42 turnovers which accounts for 25% of the team’s total!. The last stat alone should keep him on the pine more, even if he averaged 5 blocks and steals per game. On the plus side, he is the 2nd leading rebounder and has the 2nd most assists, while playing sporadic, decent defense. Hankins and Goodin are the only two players who have played consistently good defense this year. Thus far, he has been a net negative.

Welage has played approx. 60% of the minutes relative to Marshall, and scores only 4 fewer points than him per game. He doesn't rebound or dole assists at a high rate. He also only has only 6 turnovers, numbers not unexpected from a pure perimeter player. He also shoots a blistering 43% from 3 point land. He is a lousy defender, an insightful observation by Mman, though he neglected to point out his positives. In other words, he is a tall Brad Redford, just as everyone expected. . He has been a net positive.

If you blinded the player's metrics and showed the numbers to a sharp analyst like Jay Bilas, I think he would certainly pick Welage as the more productive player. However Marshall is the only athletic wing on the team, with the greatest upside, so he has to get a lot of minutes, though less than he has been averaging. If he reverts back to his play from last year, where he could guard the 1 to 4 position, and limit his treys as Goodin has done recently, his numbers will improve substantially. He also needs to slow down and stop dribbling in traffic, where most of his t.o.s occur.

BTW, Goodin has been playing much better the last 3 games including tonight, so he also has been added to the group of 3. This team has talent, but their low IQ play and coaching have masked that to date. Though Detroit is horrid, hopefully, tonight is a turning point. Now it's time for all to man up because X ain't making the tourney unless they win the BE Championship. Thankfully, the league blows this year, so there is a chance.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:45 pm

As we feared AH is smoking meth again. I never mentioned Naji but he uses his problems to cover for W's deficiencies. Sparky Anderson, God Bess is soul, had a comment about this: "Players sitting on the bench are always better, in the mind of the fan, then the ones on the field, until giving a chance to start." I admit W plays best when he is against teams of lesser talent and I still have hope for him this year but so far he has not played physical and needs to move around without the ball which I think the whole team needs to do more. AH Merry Christmas and lay off the spiked eggnog before coming here to post.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”