Seton Hall game thread 01/02/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Seton Hall game thread 01/02/19

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 pm

10 minute mark: X is up 58-53, then the Q Goodin, who has deluded himself into believing he’s this year’s Trae Young, fuels SH’s comeback.

-9:20 Goodin t.o.
-9:08 Goodin misses jumpoer. Putting “missing” in front of jumper for Goodin is redundant.
-8:52 Goodin turnover.
-8:39 G rebound
-5:37 Goodin foul
-2:47 Goodin missed layup
-2:23 G misses free throw
-1:14 G hits 2 free throws.
-.52 G turnover
.33 G turnover
.26 Goodin’s caps off another low I.Q. game with an airball three. I though he was throwing the ball to a fan.

Of course, when Welage chrged on a short jumper in the lane, Steele yelled at him. However, Goodin and Marshall can shoot it between their legs from half court, and Steele would tell them “Good shot.” Once again he demonstrated that he ain’t ready for prime time. I couldn’t stomach listening to his drivel after the game. His Marvin Lewisesque post game interviews makes Cronin sound like Tony Bennett. Banners (after reading my commentaries no doubt) has been brutal on his coaching decisions since day one. No one in the league is happier than Dave Laito (sp?), that Steele became X’s coach, because he may not been voted the worst coach in the league for the 5th year in a row. Steele is a length ahead. At least X may have one All League honor, albeit a dubious one. Props to Scruggs, Hankins, and Welage for having good games. Unfortunately, once again, they didn’t have company. Here’s hoping talent overcomes other glaring deficits next year.

Tandy was in the stands tonight. Hopefully Q noticed. He must be licking his chops. Thank God his L.O.I. is in! Here's hoping Odom, our stud pg for 2020, was watching a delightful Sandra Bullock movie instead of the game tonight. It's like opting to be directed by David Hasselhoff in a movie instead of Steven Speilberg.

Seacrest out.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 pm

muskieman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Seton Hall outscored Xavier 42-28 in the 2ndH and finished the game on a 6-0 run. X went without a FG for the last 3:44
Exact opposite results from the DePaul game.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Q and Naji combined for 1-6 from 3 or 17%.
Awful awful awful
The rest of the team shot 3-9 or 33%. Not great but respectable
Q and Naji went 4-14 from 2 or 28%. Awful awful awful
The rest of the team went 20-35 or 57%. Pretty decent
Q and Naji accounted for 9 of X's 14 TO's
Our two supposedly best players are easily our worst players
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm

Goodin and Marshall have to be the most careless players in recent Xavier history. I’m not sure why everyone thinks Q is great at taking it to the rim because I just do see it. Eight straight possessions without a point no timeout and and Marshall and Q continue to play like we are up 25 and throw it to stone hands Jones. Steele mentioned during timeout that things were fine and we take care of the ball and we win. I don’t think so. Aren’t Q and Naji supposed to be good defenders? Caislin and Kennedy have provers nothing recently, so I would start Welage at least he can shoot.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 pm

I have been as critical as anyone this year. While frustrated with losing I do see improvement. Still way to many turnovers but effort and want to are fine. With little to no help from the bench guys have to play too many minutes. A little break may help the overall performance but that may not be possible with this group. Keep playing hard and let’s hope the improvement continues. A saying I hate to use baby-steps.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Seton Hall didn't need a bad call from the Refs to win this game. Turned it up with a big time player Myles Powell in the last 10 minutes. We are paying for a very poor recruiting class when Kennedy is your only option and the other (2) Frosh don't even play and 3 of the starters have to play 30 or more minutes-definitely a way to lose a lot of games even Home games. I think to have any chance going forward they have to get Weilage more 3Pt shots (only 3 tonite) How long since we have had a losing record? I only hope the 2019 class is as good as advertised and Travis gets to coach with a better and deeper roster. The Grad transfers will be missed and we may have to pick up a couple more. I would say most of the pundits saw this teams struggles on the court coming.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 pm

We ran out of gas! Q did not come out of the game, Naji played 36 min, Scruggs played 39......too many minutes. SH turned up the speed of the game and ran us into the ground. There bench played way more than ours. I just don't understand basketball Jones.....he is MIA.. I agree with what most posted re the game.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Can’t get Welage more shots. They run no offense to get him free. Been years since X has had an offense scheme to get a shooter free. Remember Brad Redford. X stands around too much and doesn’t know how to set a pick. First half tonight was pretty good. Second half too much one on one and Q and Naji trying to do too much. Had opportunities to go inside and chose not to make the pass. Hankins takes just two shots in the second half. Poor point guard play and poor coaching. Scruggs is easily the best player we have and at least has some BB IQ whereas Q and Naji have none.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Running out of gas is on the coach. Get Hardin and Kennedy a few minutes to spell the starters if even for a couple minutes. Jones may see less minutes in the future if Hankins continues to be a scorer. Jones may be a bit better defensively but doesn’t bring much offense in most games.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:18 am

oldhoopster wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 pm
Running out of gas is on the coach. Get Hardin and Kennedy a few minutes to spell the starters if even for a couple minutes. Jones may see less minutes in the future if Hankins continues to be a scorer. Jones may be a bit better defensively but doesn’t bring much offense in most games.
Hardin and Kennedy have shown absolutely nothing when they do play. I remember in the spring many were worried Hardin was going to transfer. Oh, that would have been a big loss.. I don’t disagree that starters get exhausted. This is just a very bad team including the bench. Lots of boos from the crowd tonight. Maybe well deserved because of such bad decisions. Not sure whether we will be 8th or 9th in Big East this year. I know Travis is in his first year so the jury is still out? But it seems we were in a position we could have hired a proven coach. Could be several years before this team is straightened out. I’m 82 y o and can’t wait that long. Are we the team that has been in The Dance the most times without ever being to a final 4? Seems at one time it was between Missouri, Brigham Young and us ????

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”