Lack of Depth is our undoing against SH

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Lack of Depth is our undoing against SH

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Let's all face it and call it like it is... we know why the team has had problems

and it was discussed at one time but now we are afraid to

state the real cause

It is time for someone not to be politically correct and just

come out and say it. We can postulate all we want about lack of shooting

lack of D at times

we can even blame a first year coach

despite the fact we know him and know

he has the experience calling plays under CM and can recuit with the best of them.

No, I am not going to blame the coach

when the problem is right their in front of all of us, even though we will not admit it,

at every game, every practice.

Well I think we should face the fact that this is the only thing that has really

different about this team.

because we know that Q is not the best shooter after all he has been here for more than a few years.

It isn't Nazi, bad back and all

I have said Welage might be a weak link but I was only avoiding the real problem

So if no one else will step up then I will and

then we can decisde how we tell the coach

so it can be changed

…………………………….

It is the damn Headbands ...it is cutting off the blood to the brain

and making the team look like a JV squad. Team are getting into the teams' heads as they laugh at them on court.

Burn the headbands and take the BE title again. :D :D :) :o :lol: :roll:

Sorry it is a slow night
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Great observation Lionel C!!!! The players Q and Naji need to get real and know what they can and cannot do on the court. Naji is a rebounding machine however at times he grabs the rebound and heads up court like he's Russel Westbrook. He has one thing in mind and I promise you its not passing the ball His athleticism is unreal! Regarding both Q and Naji it seems they get distracted from what they are supposed to do especially when teams begin coming back on us or jump on us from the beginning. It totally becomes one on one basketball. At the beginning of our last game we played as a team but as soon as the score got close in the second half everything changed.....playground ball mentality took over. I too feel they know they are improving and if they continue to have confidence in coach Steele, we will learn how to close out games and get a few wins. We are in a growing period.....Heck , I just looked at South Carolina situation....2 years ago they were in the final four, now they are like they look like they just started a basketball program. Gotta have the right players with the right chemestry.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

The subject title was "lack of depth.." Depth, to me.. is having at least 3 good players and then the depth is having a 4th to 6th player as good relief. Xavier does not have 3 good players and zero 4th to 6th players for relief. X is lucky when 1 to 2 players play good and zero relief help.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm

X just better get a grad transfer knock down shooter like Creamo that went to Nova and hope Bishop and or/Tandy are lights out next year.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 am

I think that we have to accept the fact that there is not just a lack of depth, there’s a lack of consistent good play on the part of the starters. Unfortunately, when a starter is struggling there isn’t quality coming off the bench to replace them.
#WHYNOTX?
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am

When can we stop saying we want shooters or any team needs shooters???? Every shot that goes up is a shot from the shooter. i can take shots and that makes me a shooter. What we need and any team needs is " scorers"....a person who can "SCORE". lol I do not want shooters ...i want scorers.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am
When can we stop saying we want shooters or any team needs shooters???? Every shot that goes up is a shot from the shooter. i can take shots and that makes me a shooter. What we need and any team needs is " scorers"....a person who can "SCORE". lol I do not want shooters ...i want scorers.
you're arguing over semantics now.

we get it. when someone on here says we need 'shooters', they mean exactly what they say. the MAKING of the shots is implied.

also - Q, Naji, and Scruggs ARE scorers. but they're not great shooters. Welage is a great shooter. we need a couple more that can shoot it from beyond the 3 like he can.

we just don't have that this season.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 am
Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am
you're arguing over semantics now.

we get it. when someone on here says we need 'shooters', they mean exactly what they say. the MAKING of the shots is implied.

also - Q, Naji, and Scruggs ARE scorers. but they're not great shooters. Welage is a great shooter. we need a couple more that can shoot it from beyond the 3 like he can.

we just don't have that this season.
spot on longliveskip

our scorers become better scorers when you have shooters that stretch the D and open lanes to the basket. Without outside shooters, teams just sag and there is limited space to drive. Teams are begging Q to shoot which is why he can't drive like last year.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”