Hankins and Jones Together?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
lionelchalmers0

Hankins and Jones Together?

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've been trying to think of ways to mix up the rotation to help this team that seems to be in trouble.

What are your guys' thoughts on getting Hankins and Tyrique in there more together?

On offense, it would give us a better rebounding presence for our bad 3 point shooters and allow hankins to be more of a back to basket guy and jones to match up on guys that aren't 3-4 inches taller than him every game. It would also potentially force our offense to run through the inside more than drive-kick-drive-kick-jack up garbage 3.

On defense, it would hugely bolster our rebounding. Hankins can actually protect the rim fairly well but really can only guard a 5. We could actually take advantage of Jones's weight loss by putting him on a 3 or 4. He would have the size but also athleticism to stick with a 4 better than the 5s which simply turn and shoot over him constantly.

Is this stupid/crazy or would it work?
muskieman

Re: Hankins and Jones Together?

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:28 pm

a 3 or 4 that cannot shoot outside 5 feet? Who would be the 1-2-3?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:34 pm

I meant guard the 3-4 on d. He’d def be the 4 on offense and honestly wouldn’t be a much worse shooter than any other guy on this team but would be a better rebounder and sinker.

My 1-3 would be any combo of Scruggs-Goodin-Naji-welage. In all honestly I’d try to keep goodin and Naji of the floor at the same time when possible unless they’ve really got it going.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 pm

It's worth a try, but I would only do it when Marshall is out of the game. My 1 would be Goodin, 2 Scruggs and 3 Welage with both Big's on a block. This would enable a two man game on either side opening up different scenarios:

1. Big backs down for shot. If he misses, Big on other side for possible rebound.
2. Big kicks back out to Scruggs or Welage for possible shot
3. Ball reverses back to Goodin who drives the lane to shoot or dish to who's big man came to help
4. etc,etc
If against a zone run the old x (not xavier) offense with the Bigs xing from block to elbow.

Before people start yelling what about defense. You would have to play a 2-3 zone and hope Jones could defend as the 4.

Again, try it to rest Marshall. He needs to play no more than 32 minutes.
slysyl

Postby slysyl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 am

When they get tired what happens ?
X-man

Postby X-man » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 am

slysyl wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 am
When they get tired what happens ?
Take Jones out. Hankins never gets tired.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 am

muskieman wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:28 pm
a 3 or 4 that cannot shoot outside 5 feet? Who would be the 1-2-3?
As usual,

I agree with my sensei. Having two post players who have "in the paint" range compresses the lane even more, especially since Marshall & Goodin also have CJ Anderson range (even though their shot selection indicates they believe they have Seth Curry range). The set of numbers are one big reason why the offense is so inconsistent, especially in crunch time:

31 for 124 (25%) Goodin & Marshall from 3.
56 125 (45%) Wellage and Scruggs from 3.

The number of treys taken by Marshall & Goodin should be cut by at least 50%. They've NEVER shown the ability to shoot from long range, and clanking more treys per game isn't the solution. Wellage needs to play more. Is he a defensive liability? Sure, but so was Bluiett, which was painfully on display especially when X played Nova. I'm not saying Wellage is as good as Trey, but his outside shooing is critical, and his absence in the lineup will render Marshall and Goodin's offensive game even more ineffective. Expect the NIT or CBI if the players and coaches let this trend continue.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Agree with AH here completely. If you think X D is bad now (although improving), it would suffer greatly if you put them in together (at least with a man D). In todays basketball, many teams have 4s that can shoot and/or drive. Watch the game Sunday and every time Jones tried to hedge, he got beat. He isn't capable of guarding players outside the paint. Offensively, this would just clog up the middle that much more. Hankins' further range is about 5 feet which is 4 feet better than Jones. Teams already back off Marshall, Goodin, and Castlin so X would really struggle to score. Throw it inside and it would be like throwing into a double team. At this point, X needs to see if Hardin and Kennedy can get enough confidence to become decent shooters. I know they haven't thus far but probably need more time. For the older folks here, Michael Davenport was useless until his Jr year. BJ Raymond was non-existent his Freshman year and made strides his sophomore year. He didn't come into his own until his junior year. Heck. Dee Davis wasn't really that effective until his Sr year. Problem with this team is hat they need production now but as fans, we know this team isn't going anywhere so might as well develop players and see what they have.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 am

Davenport I remember was pretty productive his first few years at X but I will agree the Raymond did not do much his freshman year, but those teams were talented. Losing Gates due to Mack really hurts since we are basically playing with 2 limited bigs. Still can’t believe that James can’t see the floor on our worst team in 20 years. Nova lost 4 draft picks and have not lost in conference. We could go from first to last.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 am
Davenport I remember was pretty productive his first few years at X but I will agree the Raymond did not do much his freshman year, but those teams were talented. Losing Gates due to Mack really hurts since we are basically playing with 2 limited bigs. Still can’t believe that James can’t see the floor on our worst team in 20 years. Nova lost 4 draft picks and have not lost in conference. We could go from first to last.
still not quite sure how, if Gates didn't like Mack, and knew he had one foot out the door, how it's Mack's fault that Gates left? If Gates knew Mack was going to be gone that would surely give him MORE incentive to stay. but hey, once again, something else that we can just blame Mack for, I guess.

after each loss we can basically just blame Mack and move on.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”