Cudos to Travis

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU80

Cudos to Travis

Postby XU80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am

Travis has taken some criticism on this Board and among many conversations. Last night, Travis took a step forward in asserting his leadership with shaking up the line up. In addition to inserting Jones with Hankins, he took another chance with Harden. Many other coaches would have kept a guy like Hardin on the Bench to ride the pine until year end and then push him out. Not saying Hardin will continue to progress, but last night he played key minutes and added length and quickness to our 2-3 zone and it made a difference. On the offensive end he as two of three from three giving us much needed outside scoring to help open up the inside. Nice job Travis for taking another chance, it may be another coaching move that helps us improve and grow this year.

The other observation, Marshall and Scruggs didn't settle for quick threes and took it to the basket. Hence, we got to the line early and often IT made a difference down the stretch. I believe Travis and staff had big influence here.

One game does not make a trend, but hopefully we have found something and we will see how this carries into Sunday against Butler.
mumuskie87

Re: Cudos to Travis

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am

I would 2nd that emotion
I thought they were dead in the water at 39-22 and said so
But Steele had the fire last night and it got translated to his players.
Every team has strengths and weaknesses and while most of us tend to focus on the weaknesses, Travis got the team to play to their strengths last night.
We've talked about him being "out- coached" in some games this year but last night I would say he "out-coached" the "big fella"
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am

I'll be honest when we were down 17, I thought this season is really going to be a mess.Great job of fighting back.If this season does turn around the last 4 minutes of the half will be a moment we will look back to. People who were already giving up on Travis are just fools.I have no idea whether he will be a good coach or not but let's at least give him some time.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 am

Travis just doesn't have the horses this year. Much of what happened last night was due to necessity. He shook up the lineup because Goodin was hurt -which helped X. Hardin has been playing a little with Kennedy and I believe he will ride the hot hand. Last night it was Hardin. With Goodin out, he had no choice. Its hard to judge on one game but I would say that the D has improved since the beginning of the year and there is more of an attention to go inside to Hankins. X can play Jones and Hankins together only if they play zone in my opinion.

As for outcoaching Ewing-jury is out on him as a coach. if I played X, I would play a lot of zone. X offense is ok vs man but awful against the zone. Amazing that he did not go to it one time-particularly seeing how X's zone brought X back into the game.
PaulHickey

Postby PaulHickey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

It was about time to shake things up. Call it necessity, injury, whatever. Everyone on this board knew that Xavier was going to struggle at times this year - no question. But I have grown increasingly tired of the same game plan, lack of focus, and the continued absurdity of hucking up garbage threes. Game after game, same thing. What is Einstein's definition of insanity?

I have grown up watching Xavier basketball, and there have been many games when X fielded a lesser team that knocked off greater opponents with hustle, discipline and fundamental basketball; every play, all 40 minutes. Last night, IMHO was the first time this year that I witnessed a true return to Xavier basketball. We are not a very good three point shooting team, end of story. So what are we to do? Rebound, pound the ball inside, drive to the lane and play solid defense. I don't expect us to make the tournament this year, and honestly the N.I.T is a long shot. It's time for some on this team to grow up and become men; to play with a sense of urgency and determination.

Again, let's hope that last night serves as the foundation of the Steele era.

Go Xavier!
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 am

That was very well said PaulH..! Agree with all facets of your comments. That said, as for just this season, that end of 1st have spurt was akin to Custer's Last Stand. Only this time with a better outcome. Loved the effort. Castlin took the ball to the rim a few times which helped as that kid always can be counted on to play tough D. Impressive comeback, much needed comeback, for our young men and the coaches.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

Agree 100% Paul. Limiting the turnovers and GU going cold didn’t hurt but playing both bigs and Hardin was key. Caislin doesn’t provide much on either end so play Hardin and Welage. Still not sure why we can’t hit a three but good win. Scruggs is a beast
webxu

Postby webxu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Castlin has proved exactly 4 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 4 TO's in 4 BE games. He has contributed NOTHING in conference play. Remove him from the lineup, play Harden, Kennedy and James and at least see if THEY could be players in the future. This season is a wash, Castlin is done after this year anyway. See what you have in the future.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm

webxu wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Castlin has proved exactly 4 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 4 TO's in 4 BE games. He has contributed NOTHING in conference play. Remove him from the lineup, play Harden, Kennedy and James and at least see if THEY could be players in the future. This season is a wash, Castlin is done after this year anyway. See what you have in the future.
Castlin is not a dynamic player, and I do think a lot his minutes should be deferred to Harden or Kennedy, whoever is hot, but he is exactly what we thought he would be: a steady player who would provide decent defense, leadership, and a little offense. There's a reason he played at Columbia, but it's hard to knock a kid with his ability for not being a difference maker for a top 20 cbb team in the last 15 years. I appreciate his efforts, and there was no bigger cheerleader on the bench last night despite his greatly diminished minutes. He's a great example for the other players.

I also don't think the season is a wash yet either. They played their most complete game of the year without their starting pg. G'Town isn't a juggernaut but had leads against Syracuse and the Johnnies with minutes to go in the game. Odds are heavily stacked against making the tourney but the NIT, as unpleasant as that sounds in most years, would be a decent consolation for this year's team.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:31 pm

The BE analyst said that X going to a zone defense and not shooting 3's(which he said X is terrible at) , but attacking the paint was the key to the come back and win. ???maybe yes and maybe just a part of the win)

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”