Nova Game Thread 1-18-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: Nova Game Thread 1-18-19

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Encouraged overall. I could write volumes on this game but y'all would tire quickly. Agree with many prior thoughts, that said, in spite of continued flaws I thought Naji played better. Need his decision process to continue to improve, but I shall take last night's progress. Same with Q, possibly he learned a bit riding the pine during his injury as his shot selection was better and he played more controlled and with a distributor's mentality. Agree with AH that Nova made it a point to locate Scruggs on the perimeter. Paul had a sub-par first half but played better in the 2nd and did not force 3's. We may even need to encourage him to look to score more often. As for Hankins / Jones PT, not much we can do. I would have liked to see Zach more in 2nd as it wasn't like Jones was displaying stellar man D on Paschall anyway. But again, I will defer to Steele's acumen. IMHO, X out played Nova in 1st half. The deficit was a result of Nova getting two 2nd chance 3 pointers when their first shot clanged out so far our guys could not even rebound it even though we were in decent position and boxing out. Nova in the 1st half was either swishing 3's or clanging bricks that bounced 12 feet off the rim. That trend even continued into the 2nd half, what the hell can ya do sometimes. Secondly, X missed 4 or 5 layups/ close range stick-backs in the first half. Again, what can ya do? Typically you would expect to have made 4 of those 5. That said we have work to do. That said, yes, Nova adjusted better in the half court set. That said, they have more shooters and are well coached to catch in a "shot ready" mode. We played a game that was, for the most part, a 7 to 10 point match, on the road in a tough venue against a talented opponent who is coming into their own. We had energy. We showed resilience. We played decent defense. We executed the post offensive mindset well. However ---------------------------------
* In order to beat teams at this level, we need better outside shooting. Plain & simple. It ain't rocket science.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:52 pm
Encouraged overall. I could write volumes on this game but y'all would tire quickly. Agree with many prior thoughts, that said, in spite of continued flaws I thought Naji played better. Need his decision process to continue to improve, but I shall take last night's progress. Same with Q, possibly he learned a bit riding the pine during his injury as his shot selection was better and he played more controlled and with a distributor's mentality. Agree with AH that Nova made it a point to locate Scruggs on the perimeter. Paul had a sub-par first half but played better in the 2nd and did not force 3's. We may even need to encourage him to look to score more often. As for Hankins / Jones PT, not much we can do. I would have liked to see Zach more in 2nd as it wasn't like Jones was displaying stellar man D on Paschall anyway. But again, I will defer to Steele's acumen. IMHO, X out played Nova in 1st half. The deficit was a result of Nova getting two 2nd chance 3 pointers when their first shot clanged out so far our guys could not even rebound it even though we were in decent position and boxing out. Nova in the 1st half was either swishing 3's or clanging bricks that bounced 12 feet off the rim. That trend even continued into the 2nd half, what the hell can ya do sometimes. Secondly, X missed 4 or 5 layups/ close range stick-backs in the first half. Again, what can ya do? Typically you would expect to have made 4 of those 5. That said we have work to do. That said, yes, Nova adjusted better in the half court set. That said, they have more shooters and are well coached to catch in a "shot ready" mode. We played a game that was, for the most part, a 7 to 10 point match, on the road in a tough venue against a talented opponent who is coming into their own. We had energy. We showed resilience. We played decent defense. We executed the post offensive mindset well. However ---------------------------------
* In order to beat teams at this level, we need better outside shooting. Plain & simple. It ain't rocket science.
Good summary, Lucidity. I agree
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
XU85

Postby XU85 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 pm

I feel like I have been incredibly patient thus far, but as others have stated more eloquently, for this team to reach its potential, Naji either has to become a better 3-point shooter or only shoot 3s with the clock running out. I have yet to boo at Xavier, but it's becoming more and more difficult particularly if Steele allows this to continue. This is not helping Naji and more importantly, it's not helping the team.

Ok, I feel better.........
XavierRunningMan

Postby XavierRunningMan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 am

Gotta give Steele a lot of credit! We are running a MUCHHHHH better offense under Steele than Mack in his early years...not sure how many people remember watching us pass the ball 3 feet behind the three point line and then having Semaji jack up shots. I’m encouraged and think he’s going to be one heck of a coach.

I’d like for people to go a bit easier on Marshall. That’s his 3rd or 4th game in a row playing the ENTIRE game. He’s not getting an open lane to slash like last year without all the perimeter shooters. He’s a sophomore with 2 more years to develop. I’m personally glad he’s not scoring 30 points a game and looking to go into the NBA draft early..

Be patient...enjoy the growth game to game (which we are making) and get ready for a great incoming class. #TrustTheProcess #NotAFairWeatherFan 😁

(I miss being a top 10 program too, but give Steele some time to bring in his studs to go along with what we have...Mack left the pantry pretty desolate)
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:05 pm

Just as a point of reference, here are X's margin of losses in the 1st 5 years against Nova at Nova in the new BE.
Year 1 - Lost by 23
Year 2 - Lost by 13
Year 3 - Lost by 31
Year 4 - Lost by 25
Year 5 - Lost by 23

Year 6 - Lost by 10

Nova doesn't have the team that have had in previous years but neither does X.
All in all, that they played a decent game.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”