March 28th, 2004 Elite 8...did refs keep X from the Final Four?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
True_Blue

Re: March 28th, 2004 Elite 8...did refs keep X from the Final Four?

Postby True_Blue » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:31 am
maybe Thad was arguing the foul.....much like Sean Payton was arguing a no call foul . Maybe Thad knew his man, Myles , did NOT foul. Maybe "the fix" was in??? Refs do decide some games....whether they are bought or not bought....we just never know.
Let's say Matta makes the sub,, which he should have done. What makes you think Myles is allowed on the court for more than 10 seconds whenever he gets back in the game?
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am

True_Blue wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 am
Xavier2005 wrote:
maybe Thad was arguing the foul.....much like Sean Payton was arguing a no call foul . Maybe Thad knew his man, Myles , did NOT foul. Maybe "the fix" was in??? Refs do decide some games....whether they are bought or not bought....we just never know.
Let's say Matta makes the sub,, which he should have done. What makes you think Myles is allowed on the court for more than 10 seconds whenever he gets back in the game?
i don't know what this means. the refs wouldn't let him come on the court?

you think in 10 seconds they're just finding a way to call a foul on him to purposely foul him out? c'mon, man.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:14 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am
True_Blue wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 am
Xavier2005 wrote:
i don't know what this means. the refs wouldn't let him come on the court?

you think in 10 seconds they're just finding a way to call a foul on him to purposely foul him out? c'mon, man.
No, I mean, the refs would just not let him check in... :mrgreen:
YES, they would have just called a foul on him in 10 seconds, maybe 11.. given the way they were calling fouls on him... subbing him out would have just delayed the inevitable... Myles getting very little playing time because Coach K realized who needed to go on our team...
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Conspiracy theories everywhere. No, that was on Matta for leaving Myles in at that time. The fifth foul was over the back on a rebound of the foul shot I believe, so 2 fouls in just a few seconds is not unheard of and not necessarily incorrect.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:18 pm

I remember vividly that Mike Francesa, the WFAN NY Sports Pope who was working for CBS at the time on the pre and post game shows saying that if Xavier was to upset Duke it would be CBS's worst nightmare. I was so incensed by that comment that I immediately e-mailed him that having to sit there and listen to that big fat gas bag is CBS's worst nightmare. The arrogance!!
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 am

The comment that CBS analyst said Duke losing would be CBS' worse nightmare is why some people might love to fix a win of certain teams...for the commercial or private profit of individuals or a company. Xavier would not have been the tv draw that a Duke was then. Tv commercial dollars are set by expected tv viewing audiences and some times $$$ paid for commercials are reduced afterward, if the audience rating is less than expected. Also brokers /scalpers of tickets want certain teams to win to raise or keep prices up...ie the Super Bowl. Because New England has been to the SB so much, their winning and being in the SB for the 9th time made demand for SB tickets drop. The SB tickets dropped $500 to $1000 per ticket as soon as New England won. Many fans that have been there and done that over and over do not want to go again. New blood, new teams, teams that have not been there for a long time create more demand for tickets and some times more tv interest.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:35 am

I blame bigfoot. I bet cage was thinking about him when he shot that free throw.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”