PC Game Thread 1-23-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: PC Game Thread 1-23-19

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 pm

N67ER wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm
Not able to watch game. Can somebody please explain why Wellage, our best long range shooter put up just 2 long shots? Can we not devise sets to get him a good look?
One can't get a shot sitting on the pine. He has been in a slump because it's hard to get into a rhythm when you're pulled after 94 seconds on the court. Unless you are Goodin, where 3-18 including 1-8 from 3 point range gets you extra orange slices after the game.
PT71

Postby PT71 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Very disheartening to witness lack of improvement, bonehead plays, out of control basketball...suggestion for coach Steele...when reviewing game tapes, tell guys to watch the other team "take care of the basketball." Then, insist that that is what you want them to do. However, betcha you have already done that! Man, is this tough to watch...18 TO's tonight! Have plans to drive 8 hours to Cincy for the Villanova game...should I come??
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm

As I’ve stated in the past, X doesn’t run any type of moving offense except back and forth at the top of the key. They don’t set picks to get a good shooter open and haven’t for years. Other teams set multiple picks if necessary to free up shooters. I do like the two bigs in together because it gets at least some movement thru the middle and changes our offense for the better.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm
As I’ve stated in the past, X doesn’t run any type of moving offense except back and forth at the top of the key. They don’t set picks to get a good shooter open and haven’t for years. Other teams set multiple picks if necessary to free up shooters. I do like the two bigs in together because it gets at least some movement thru the middle and changes our offense for the better.
When teams sag into a zone, multiple picks won't do much good. Quick passing and ball movement will. I agree having both bigs in, and flashing Marshall in the middle for a short jumper, pass to a post player, or out to Welage or Scruggs on the wing. Goodin should be relegated to the bench. His laziness which has been chronic this year cost X four crucial seconds at the end of the game. Steele went ballistic. He should have pulled him then. I doubt Goodin thinks he did anything wrong.
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Effort there but not enough talent to overcome 18 TO’s.( a lot of them unforced) Another home loss and most likely another one coming up with a very good Marquette team coming to town on Sat. Unfortunately I don’t see too many winnable games coming up. The program paying a big price for a poor recruiting class, no depth, poor 3pt shooting, coaching changes and on & on. I guess you could call me a fair weather fan but I have lost interest and it’s only January. Feeling bad for the players especially the 3 Grad Transfers who will not be playing in March. Hopefully just a bump in the road and next year we will see a top 25 team and our name called on Selection Sunday.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 am

Has Travis lost control of this mediocre team? I know the jury is still out on our new coach but we had become a big time program. We could have hired a young coach with successful head coaching experience. Hasn’t Travis been an assistant for 10 years and as far as I know no one had been interested in hiring him as a head coach even at a mid major. I’m afraid there will be rants for 4 or 5 years and then we will hire a new coach and rebuild. There will be those who say “ give him a chance” We will do that but since I’m 82 y o I am afraid I won’t be around for the next rebuilding😔.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:08 pm
Jeez...how many drive, dish and dunks has PC gotten tonight.
Down 10 with 3:35 to play.
Game over.
Providence packed it in because Castlin was inexplicably in over Welage for most of the game. Let's not even use the red herring "defensive liability" card. X was beaten with Welage on the bench on 7 or 8 back door cuts and lobs because the guards failed to stop penetration, and the bigs hedged too high. Still a Steele fan, but he has not utilized Welage and Hankins this year as much as he should have. Guess who has played more minutes? Castlin.

That would have been like playing Gates more minutes than JP and Bluiett last year. I said it about CM, and I believe it would help Steele tremendously. Get a veteran coach on the bench. CM learned this year by bringing in Dino Gaudio. I would bet Gillen would be interested.
playing Castlin over Welage = playing Gates over JP/Tre???

really? there's no way that even in the vicinity of being the same. not saying that Welage shouldn't play more, but that's not a good comparison at all.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:47 am

PT71 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm
Very disheartening to witness lack of improvement, bonehead plays, out of control basketball...suggestion for coach Steele...when reviewing game tapes, tell guys to watch the other team "take care of the basketball." Then, insist that that is what you want them to do. However, betcha you have already done that! Man, is this tough to watch...18 TO's tonight! Have plans to drive 8 hours to Cincy for the Villanova game...should I come??
maybe make other arrangements. or eat some undercooked meat the night before.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am

As few fouls as were called last night,it killed us with Scruggs and Naji getting 2 in the first half.No offence for the last 10 minutes.Q looks lost when he is out there with Scruggs
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:48 am

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:46 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:08 pm
Jeez...how many drive, dish and dunks has PC gotten tonight.
Down 10 with 3:35 to play.
Game over.
Providence packed it in because Castlin was inexplicably in over Welage for most of the game. Let's not even use the red herring "defensive liability" card. X was beaten with Welage on the bench on 7 or 8 back door cuts and lobs because the guards failed to stop penetration, and the bigs hedged too high. Still a Steele fan, but he has not utilized Welage and Hankins this year as much as he should have. Guess who has played more minutes? Castlin.

That would have been like playing Gates more minutes than JP and Bluiett last year. I said it about CM, and I believe it would help Steele tremendously. Get a veteran coach on the bench. CM learned this year by bringing in Dino Gaudio. I would bet Gillen would be interested.
playing Castlin over Welage = playing Gates over JP/Tre???

really? there's no way that even in the vicinity of being the same. not saying that Welage shouldn't play more, but that's not a good comparison at all.
Need to get Welage open when he's out there.He's like Redford in that he can't create his own shot.Need to run him off picks.But he can't guard anyone.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”