Talk XU Men's basketball here...
lionelchalmers0

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm
Goodin's regression reaching another level. I'd rather put Welage in and have Scruggs run the point.
I was a little harsh on Goodin. With the exception of the t.o. and bad shot consecutively, he played well, especially defensively. He has definitely lost his confidence. This team was within a couple of possessions within the 5-minute mark against the two best teams in this league. Just keep getting better and hope for a good draw in the BE tourney.
As you said and the announcers said we were righ there with the number 12 team in the country. It’s a tough pill to swallow but the fact is we’re just not as good as these teams. Marquette’s best three players are better than anyone on our team. We stayed with them for a long time but it’s gonna be damn hard to win games against teams with shooters like they have when they’re on. And hey were on.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Or bigs went 9-12 from the field and 9-12 from the foul line. Please tell me why we did not continue feeding them with their big guy in foul trouble the entire game. He was in trouble because he could not handle our bigs. Our guards for some reason choose to not go inside with the ball when its crunch time. Steele needed to call time we were ahead by 10 or whatever and instruct the guards to slow it down and feed the bigs. The numbers don't lie. We allowed them to play to their strength getting up and down the floor launching insane three;s.

The tech foul was a very serious mistake, very serious!! We should have won this game....Steele is learning on the job....Its honeymoon time. Next year these type games we will pull out with a W.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm

joeabe wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm
Or bigs went 9-12 from the field and 9-12 from the foul line. Please tell me why we did not continue feeding them with their big guy in foul trouble the entire game. He was in trouble because he could not handle our bigs. Our guards for some reason choose to not go inside with the ball when its crunch time. Steele needed to call time we were ahead by 10 or whatever and instruct the guards to slow it down and feed the bigs. The numbers don't lie. We allowed them to play to their strength getting up and down the floor launching insane three;s.

The tech foul was a very serious mistake, very serious!! We should have won this game....Steele is learning on the job....Its honeymoon time. Next year these type games we will pull out with a W.
Agreed totally. I’m a Steele defender but it was outrageous that from about the 9 minute mark to 4 min left mark with John out of the game/in foul trouble he didn’t call time out and just start running play after play for jones/Hankins.

They are by far our best chance at getting easy scores and we ignored them for 5-6 min while our lead went from 10 to 0 and their only good interior big man was out.
whopper

Postby whopper » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Welage hit 1-2 and has done so the last 3 games. He is not a world beater but deserves to take 5 3s a game and of looked off quite often. They. did beat g town and Butler with him playing decent minutes and he made a big 2 pointer in each of these wins.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

joeabe wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Was the T on Steele? If so, my bad, as I called it on Marshall. I like Steele's fire, but he cannot handicap his team like that in a close game. That's very Croninesque. The difference is most coaches including Steele do it out of true frustration, whereas Cronin loves the theatre of it all.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm

whopper wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm
Welage hit 1-2 and has done so the last 3 games. He is not a world beater but deserves to take 5 3s a game and of looked off quite often. They. did beat g town and Butler with him playing decent minutes and he made a big 2 pointer in each of these wins.
Count me in the "Play Welwage More" club.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Agree with Joe and Anti once again. The foul on Naji was bad and didn’t think Steele deserved a T, but if Marshall wouldn’t have taken a terrible out of control shotbonce again it wouldn’t have happened. Q and Marshall turn into trainwrecks when the game is on the line. Get the lead and pound it inside. Vanilla Ice would have won this game.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm
whopper wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm
Count me in the "Play Welwage More" club.
I don’t mean this in a snarky way but do you guys really want more minutes for welage?

He’s a great shooter but an all time one trick money. He is zero threat on offense other than a catch and shoot 3. He’s not even good at shooting 3s coming of screens and can’t create his own shots. The reasons he doesn’t get to shoot 5 threes a game is bc every defender knows this and doesn’t pay him any respect in terms of having any ability to do anything else.

Not only that, but he doesn’t even do anything else well. He’s a horrible defender and the worst rebounder I’ve ever seen at his size.

For comparison, today welage played 17 min and had 3 points on 1/2 shooting with 1 rebound and 0 assists.

Castlin played 19 min with 5 points and 4 rebounds and 3 assists. He’s not even a high impact player but makes much better usage of his time than welage.
N67ER

Postby N67ER » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:39 pm

I want Welagevon the floor more. But I want the coach to design more plays to free him up. A single screen isn’t going to get it done. Did you see how many screens M set for Howard. And coach needs to tell the players to throw the ball to him when he is open. They missed several opportunities to do that today. And he actually has shown some ability to drive and is pretty accurate from 12 feet in. It is a travesty that our second best long range shooter took just 2 shots in each of the last two games. He didn’t average 18 a game last year because he didn’t know how to score - and he is money from the line.

Get him the ball!!!

Also, both Scruggs and Marshall were fatigued in the last 8 minutes. Coach needs to judiciously spell them and use Hardin and Kennedy in short stints. Their legs were gone at the end of the game. Use some subs (which will help their development next year and beyond.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:55 pm

I agrre they were sucking wind. I noticed midway thru the first half Marquette began substituting plenty and continued to do so until about midway through the 2nd half....have not seen minutes played but im betting our starters played way more minutes. We played well and soon we will begin winning these games.....Just hope our kids continue the fight. as I said on another thread its difficult to keep your fight through continuous losses. actually I just ckd and minutes played per player was about even!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”