Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
whopper
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby whopper » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:21 pm

I think we have to expend more effort on defense covering Howard and both Hauser than they have to expend covering our guy. Welage is a good player but benefited from injuries/suspensions to Naji, Q and Tyrique which changed the rotation against lesser teams like IUPUI, Oakland, Miami Ohio, Mercy , Depaul where he was able to get minutes /shots and probably averaged 14-17 ppg. Now more of a floor balancer who rotates back on defense by design no never near boards
harryfe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby harryfe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm

Unbelievable for coach to get a tech in last 2 minutes in a 2 point game. He almost got one earlier when he had to be held back by an assistant. Steele gave him a “soft elbow” to push him off. Everyone says we are getting better because we came close to a ranked team. I don’t see any improvement. We are barely above .500 with most wins against mid- majors.
skyhops
Posts: 2419
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:51 pm

I agree Harry. Can't image winning but one or two more games.
ChitownSteve
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 am
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:03 pm

harryfe wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm
Unbelievable for coach to get a tech in last 2 minutes in a 2 point game. He almost got one earlier when he had to be held back by an assistant. Steele gave him a “soft elbow” to push him off. Everyone says we are getting better because we came close to a ranked team. I don’t see any improvement. We are barely above .500 with most wins against mid- majors.
Not to be picky ... but to be picky ... there was 3:34 to go in the game. Marquette already had the ball, and they made the 2FT’s, but a quick offensive foul, clearly as a make-up call for the rabbit eared T, was assessed against Marquette.

IMHO the “T” had little effect on the final result.

Not saying it was a bright “T”, but the immediate make-up call also might indicate the “T” was unwarranted.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm

harryfe wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm
Unbelievable for coach to get a tech in last 2 minutes in a 2 point game. He almost got one earlier when he had to be held back by an assistant. Steele gave him a “soft elbow” to push him off. Everyone says we are getting better because we came close to a ranked team. I don’t see any improvement. We are barely above .500 with most wins against mid- majors.
I don’t see any improvement.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think this team has improved a lot since league play started, even with the higher caliber of competition. They've only played one bad game, and that was against Marquette. Keep in mind that this run has happened when Q, the director of the team has been injured. Though he hasn't had the kind of year us fans and I'm sure he expected, it did require a lot of people to adapt to new roles.

They have cut down their turnovers, and I believe have improved defensively. Of course, when you see the number and percentage of treys made by the likes of Nova & M-quette, it's easy to say it was due to bad defense. That's partly the case, but in both games, they made threes that we were accustomed to seeing Bluiett do in four years. Nova has been doing that to everybody the last few years, and M-quette has the best trio of 3 point shooters in cbb. Their shot selection has also improved, with Marshall and Q taking fewer threes than they had been taking, and hopefully, the trend continues.

Obviously, the realistic destination will be the NIT, but considering the mess with personnel Steele inherited when he took over the program, that's not a bad consolation prize. AH, his son, brothers, and nephews just want to see overall improvement and player development, which hopefully, puts them in a position to make it back to the Dance next year, especially with the very good class they have coming in.

Lastly, Steele took ownership for the bad T, which is something you wouldn't see from any other coach whose team's campus is 4.3 miles from Cintas. Still learning on the job.
harryfe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby harryfe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm
harryfe wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm
Unbelievable for coach to get a tech in last 2 minutes in a 2 point game. He almost got one earlier when he had to be held back by an assistant. Steele gave him a “soft elbow” to push him off. Everyone says we are getting better because we came close to a ranked team. I don’t see any improvement. We are barely above .500 with most wins against mid- majors.
I don’t see any improvement.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think this team has improved a lot since league play started, even with the higher caliber of competition. They've only played one bad game, and that was against Marquette. Keep in mind that this run has happened when Q, the director of the team has been injured. Though he hasn't had the kind of year us fans and I'm sure he expected, it did require a lot of people to adapt to new roles.

They have cut down their turnovers, and I believe have improved defensively. Of course, when you see the number and percentage of treys made by the likes of Nova & M-quette, it's easy to say it was due to bad defense. That's partly the case, but in both games, they made threes that we were accustomed to seeing Bluiett do in four years. Nova has been doing that to everybody the last few years, and M-quette has the best trio of 3 point shooters in cbb. Their shot selection has also improved, with Marshall and Q taking fewer threes than they had been taking, and hopefully, the trend continues.

Obviously, the realistic destination will be the NIT, but considering the mess with personnel Steele inherited when he took over the program, that's not a bad consolation prize. AH, his son, brothers, and nephews just want to see overall improvement and player development, which hopefully, puts them in a position to make it back to the Dance next year, especially with the very good class they have coming in.

Lastly, Steele took ownership for the bad T, which is something you wouldn't see from any other coach whose team's campus is 4.3 miles from Cintas. Still learning on the job.
LESS TURNOVERS ??? They had 18 last week against The Friars. I believe between Scruggs and Q they had 11
Musketeer1
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:34 am
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby Musketeer1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:58 pm

It’s not getting better folks. When your supposed leader and your best player continue to regress and play without discipline that is an indictment on coaching. And temper tantrums in crunch time do not portend of greatness yet to emerge.

Just watched an energized Memphis team lead by Penny Hardaway who previously coached one year of HS basketball. Hopefully someone is in the ear of a certain recently retired Muskie alumnus with his number in the rafters. A guy like DW is going to be necessary to revitalize the program after cloture is called on this coaching misfire.
southernmusky
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby southernmusky » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Musketeer1 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:58 pm
It’s not getting better folks. When your supposed leader and your best player continue to regress and play without discipline that is an indictment on coaching. And temper tantrums in crunch time do not portend of greatness yet to emerge.

Just watched an energized Memphis team lead by Penny Hardaway who previously coached one year of HS basketball. Hopefully someone is in the ear of a certain recently retired Muskie alumnus with his number in the rafters. A guy like DW is going to be necessary to revitalize the program after cloture is called on this coaching misfire.
You're an idiot!!!!
harryfe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby harryfe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 pm

southernmusky wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 pm
Musketeer1 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:58 pm
It’s not getting better folks. When your supposed leader and your best player continue to regress and play without discipline that is an indictment on coaching. And temper tantrums in crunch time do not portend of greatness yet to emerge.

Just watched an energized Memphis team lead by Penny Hardaway who previously coached one year of HS basketball. Hopefully someone is in the ear of a certain recently retired Muskie alumnus with his number in the rafters. A guy like DW is going to be necessary to revitalize the program after cloture is called on this coaching misfire.
You're an idiot!!!!
Why would you use such derogatory terms towards a poster? I tend to agree with
most of what he/she says although I suspect it would be unlikely DW would be our coach
very soon if at all.
Musketeer1
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:34 am
Contact:

Re: Marquette Game Thread 1/26/19

Postby Musketeer1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you for the kindness and civility harryfe. The four exclamation point "idiot" moniker was a bit much . . . two, perhaps, maybe three at the most. I do, after all, have a couple of degrees from a fine Jesuit school on Victory Parkway. That's gotta count for something.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests