Steele and the T

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU80

Steele and the T

Postby XU80 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 am

I am not going to pin the loss on the "T" but in a close game, you can't get a technical foul. That possession turned out to be a 4 point swing. As a first year head coach, you need to smarter on the sidelines and not get the rabbit ears and egos of the referee's attention. I always watch how coaches like Brad Stevens would work the officials but rarely cross over.

As a young coach, you don't want to develop a reputation on the sidelines as a constant complainer. Rather work the officials in a discreet fashion and IMO you will be more effective with getting the 50/50 calls.
harryfe

Re: Steele and the T

Postby harryfe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 am

XU80 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 am
I am not going to pin the loss on the "T" but in a close game, you can't get a technical foul. That possession turned out to be a 4 point swing. As a first year head coach, you need to smarter on the sidelines and not get the rabbit ears and egos of the referee's attention. I always watch how coaches like Brad Stevens would work the officials but rarely cross over.

As a young coach, you don't want to develop a reputation on the sidelines as a constant complainer. Rather work the officials in a discreet fashion and IMO you will be more effective with getting the 50/50 calls.
Hmmm. Wonder how come Travis hasn’t learned this after being in the business over 10 years? Did he have any comment about this post game ?
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 pm

XU80 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 am

While not saying it was the best “T” to get, how was it a 4 point swing? Marquette already had the ball, Howard made the 2 FT’s and then a ref called a quick make-up offensive foul on Sam Hauser. Clearly, the offensive foul was called on Marquette because the “T” was a dubious assessment.

Coach Steele did note on the post-game show with Joe and Byron that he can’t get a “T” at that point in the game.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Coach Steele is on his honeymoon this season. Lets give him a chance.....he inherited a not so great situation as has been discussed on this board. I watched some of Villanova today vs SH.....What an improved team from the beginning of the season. He is an exceptional coach who is now getting the 5 star players to win at championship levels and I don't mean just BE championships...They destroyed SH today.42 of 58 shots came from 3 point line and they hit 17 of them @40%....This is the future of basketball....Gotta have great 3 point guys..NBA style
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 am

It's frustration. As a coach it's all you do is prepare your team and assemble your team, aka it's your job. The home court is a big advantage and when you let two home games slip away that are very winnable it's the pinnacle of frustration. You have to first condition a team to win at home before you can expect to win on the road.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am

No doubt that was a bad time for a T. He does have a fiery temper.I don't have a problem with that but have to watch it.Don't be a Cronin type.Is this a small guy issue? :D Obviously he didn't want to discuss it in the post game.I don't recall if Joe and Byron brought it up
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Agree with TheCoach for the most part here. Frustration as the amount of time, effort and emotional/psychological investment that these coaches sink into each game is beyond what normal folks can comprehend. Steele's fuse was lit a bit earlier when Naji was called for a phantom foul after playing text-book D on a Howard drive. Once that fuse is lit, it don't take much. My issue is, that in our recent home losses where we blew leads in all of them down the stretch, seems like our studs are simply exhausted. We can't find that extra gear in crunch time. Yet again on Saturday I believe Kennedy and Hardin played less than a combined 1 minute........ Hey, I realize they are not ready. But you can sprinkle each of those two in for 40 seconds here and 1.20 there right before a TV time out, with minimal downside, to get one of our three studs an extra blow. That really is not even debatable...
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:57 am
No doubt that was a bad time for a T. He does have a fiery temper.I don't have a problem with that but have to watch it.Don't be a Cronin type.Is this a small guy issue? :D Obviously he didn't want to discuss it in the post game.I don't recall if Joe and Byron brought it up
Coach Steele addressed it in the post-game show with Joe and Byron, as previously noted.
TheX-Man

Postby TheX-Man » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:14 pm

The T didn't determine the game. I do think it was a weak call for the ref to make at that point but it was partially offset by the weak offensive foul called on Marquette at the other end. Bottom line, like many games this season, a limited roster with limited depth makes it a challenge to finish close games. I resigned myself to the fact this could be a long year back in November.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:54 pm
Agree with TheCoach for the most part here. Frustration as the amount of time, effort and emotional/psychological investment that these coaches sink into each game is beyond what normal folks can comprehend. Steele's fuse was lit a bit earlier when Naji was called for a phantom foul after playing text-book D on a Howard drive. Once that fuse is lit, it don't take much. My issue is, that in our recent home losses where we blew leads in all of them down the stretch, seems like our studs are simply exhausted. We can't find that extra gear in crunch time. Yet again on Saturday I believe Kennedy and Hardin played less than a combined 1 minute........ Hey, I realize they are not ready. But you can sprinkle each of those two in for 40 seconds here and 1.20 there right before a TV time out, with minimal downside, to get one of our three studs an extra blow. That really is not even debatable...
it is more than not ready
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”