Creighton Game Thread 2-3-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: Creighton Game Thread 2-3-19

Postby thecoach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 am

joeabe wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:09 am
How about this …..Its obvious we are challenged to play offense and score, just see our stats. However, why not turn into a defensive nightmare for opponents? "40 minutes of hell comes to mind " Nolan Richardson Arkansas coach. We continue to play the same way with the same people and get the same results. Try something else!!!! Creighton did it to us yesterday. They got to every 50/50 ball, they invaded the paint with 3-4 guys everytime we entered. Their coach said after that they won with Defense...…..I would really like hearing that one day from a Xavier coach....Go X
That's certainly a strategy for the future, but heading into mid feb. with 3 or 4 guys who average over 30 minutes a game it would likely result in some genuine blowouts. I don't think they have the legs for it at this point in the season. Nolan Richardson put a heck of a lot of practice into that defense, and it was fun to watch. However, it helps to have 10 deep if you want to do it right. Huggins did fairly well with a similar strategy here recently, but he's fallen into the abyss as he forgot to recruit the level of backcourt guys to make it work.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 pm

joeabe wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:09 am
How about this …..Its obvious we are challenged to play offense and score, just see our stats. However, why not turn into a defensive nightmare for opponents? "40 minutes of hell comes to mind " Nolan Richardson Arkansas coach. We continue to play the same way with the same people and get the same results. Try something else!!!! Creighton did it to us yesterday. They got to every 50/50 ball, they invaded the paint with 3-4 guys everytime we entered. Their coach said after that they won with Defense...…..I would really like hearing that one day from a Xavier coach....Go X
Not sure we have the depth or athleticism to do that with this team,
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm

I agree , we then need to bring aboard some accurate shooters with athleticism. This league is difficult......we have faded from national attention. I live out of the Cincy area and Xavier is not even close to being on the radar. Heck, the last 10 years all my friends would see me and say "your Xavier team is kicking some butt. Now, I get crickets!!
Don't like the way we are trending. Its very difficult to get up to the status X achieved recently on the national stage. Mack did a helluva job as he grew into the job with wins over big market teams on the national stage utilizing good not great talent. We have had players on the fringe of the NBA but not any stalwart NBA guys if you know what I mean. But we matched up well with the Arizona's , Florida States, Michigan, Nova(once) , Wisconsin, WF,Purdue, Baylor, Tennessee , Auburn, Alabama, LSU etc. We have competed at a very high level in our conference which is a tough one. I am having a most difficult time visioning this kind of success at the moment. I see us struggling for the next 3 years or so while building our roster back to full strength. I really , really hope I'm wrong. This young man(Steele) looks like the kind you would want as a son in law so I'm all for him. Just think our administration promoted him into a really difficult situation without any HC experience. Experience is huge in coaching (see Super Bowl yesterday) young Mc Vay admitted he got out coached. I see our young men competing their asses off without much direction. You all have mentioned all the goofy mistakes, mental errors defending, sloppy passing , dribbling into 5 defenders some 7 feet tall and expecting a 2 plus a bonus..trying to win the game in last 3 min by playing hero ball!! I wonder would we be having the same results if Mack were still our coach? I question if players (Q, Jones, Marshall and Scruggs) even listen to coaching? They commit the same and I mean the same pattern for failure each game. They seem to play as a team until crunch time and then all bets are off! It seems they really don't believe our bigs are shooting at a 70+% rate refusing to feed them. Now , I know Steele sees this . Quesstion is: does he address it and they do not listen or is he letting them do their thing because he fears losing the team?
Musketeer1

Postby Musketeer1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm

joeabe wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm
I agree , we then need to bring aboard some accurate shooters with athleticism. This league is difficult......we have faded from national attention. I live out of the Cincy area and Xavier is not even close to being on the radar. Heck, the last 10 years all my friends would see me and say "your Xavier team is kicking some butt. Now, I get crickets!!
Don't like the way we are trending. Its very difficult to get up to the status X achieved recently on the national stage. Mack did a helluva job as he grew into the job with wins over big market teams on the national stage utilizing good not great talent. We have had players on the fringe of the NBA but not any stalwart NBA guys if you know what I mean. But we matched up well with the Arizona's , Florida States, Michigan, Nova(once) , Wisconsin, WF,Purdue, Baylor, Tennessee , Auburn, Alabama, LSU etc. We have competed at a very high level in our conference which is a tough one. I am having a most difficult time visioning this kind of success at the moment. I see us struggling for the next 3 years or so while building our roster back to full strength. I really , really hope I'm wrong. This young man(Steele) looks like the kind you would want as a son in law so I'm all for him. Just think our administration promoted him into a really difficult situation without any HC experience. Experience is huge in coaching (see Super Bowl yesterday) young Mc Vay admitted he got out coached. I see our young men competing their asses off without much direction. You all have mentioned all the goofy mistakes, mental errors defending, sloppy passing , dribbling into 5 defenders some 7 feet tall and expecting a 2 plus a bonus..trying to win the game in last 3 min by playing hero ball!! I wonder would we be having the same results if Mack were still our coach? I question if players (Q, Jones, Marshall and Scruggs) even listen to coaching? They commit the same and I mean the same pattern for failure each game. They seem to play as a team until crunch time and then all bets are off! It seems they really don't believe our bigs are shooting at a 70+% rate refusing to feed them. Now , I know Steele sees this . Quesstion is: does he address it and they do not listen or is he letting them do their thing because he fears losing the team?
I agree with this poster's concern about fleeting national prominence. Steele does not have it at this level yet. Maybe someday he will. There are plenty of mid-majors where he could cut his teeth. This program simply does not have 3 years to allow him to learn on the job if it intends not to lose much of the ground gained over the past two decades. Ups and downs come with player turnover, but losing good coaches and replacing them with mediocre or inexperienced coaches will stagnate a program, or derail it completely. How's Butler's trajectory currently, after reaching two National Championship games? I fear we are seeing the warning signs of darker days to come. The days when the ESPN scroll listed us as Xavier (OH) to differentiate us from Xavier (LA) were no fun...
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:09 pm
We are in serious need of a true point guard. I'm talking somebody look like Lavender, Chalmers, Holloway.Scruggs is not really a point guard . I think Q is like Andy Dalton. He's good if you surround him with good players like he had the last 2 years. Hope Ky Ky and Bishop step in and fill that role next year.
I think the Dalton analogy is a good one. He can't carry a team but can be a key, contributor if he plays within himself. If X has to rely on Kyky (Bishop is not a pg) to run the point, it will mean the team is ins serious trouble. I don't anticipate that. Q is turning the corner now. Just needs to keep his treys to 2-3 late in the shot attempts max., and give more consistent effort on D.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Musketeer1 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm
joeabe wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm
I agree with this poster's concern about fleeting national prominence. Steele does not have it at this level yet. Maybe someday he will. There are plenty of mid-majors where he could cut his teeth. This program simply does not have 3 years to allow him to learn on the job if it intends not to lose much of the ground gained over the past two decades. Ups and downs come with player turnover, but losing good coaches and replacing them with mediocre or inexperienced coaches will stagnate a program, or derail it completely. How's Butler's trajectory currently, after reaching two National Championship games? I fear we are seeing the warning signs of darker days to come. The days when the ESPN scroll listed us as Xavier (OH) to differentiate us from Xavier (LA) were no fun...
I agree with this poster's concern about fleeting national prominence
Wow,

I haven't seen this much panic since The Golden Corral by Muskieman's house limited patrons to only 3 trips to the dessert bar. I remember both UK and NC both having deep runs in the tourney within the last decade or so, and then only making the NIT the next, with considerably greater talent. It's clear now that Steele wasn't ready to be the head guy this year, and the 1st sign should have been him filling his staff with young recruiters, instead of having at least one X & Os veteran on the bench. He struggles with his lineups and schemes, but I still have hope. if there isn't significant progress next year, I'll be concerned.

There is one poster on this board who led both his son's 7th-grade & daughter's 3rd grade CYO teams to league championships, despite having only one 4 star player on each. Travis would be wise to seek his counsel.

This post is dedicated to a new, young member who just joined the board.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”