Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby longliveskip » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am
No IMHO Dino is not the answer. Give Steele 2 to 3 years minimum to make something happen.....unless next year is worse. X has made its own bed by not being "able" to keep CM. Players come to play basketball for a coach, not a school. Going to be very hard to recruit now.
this i disagree with. Steele has shown already, based on the type of recruits we've signed for next year, that it's not going to be difficult. it's all about what he DOES with them while they're at X.
muskienick
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby muskienick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Here is a posting on the Big East Board from a Villanova fan:

Xavier's 2019 Recruiting Class - The Ideal Big East Class
Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:44 am

Link Below. I am using Xavier's 2019 recruiting class as an example because to me it is the ideal recruiting class for the Big East. You have 5 kids coming in (I usually think 3 or 4 is enough every year but that is besides the point here), 4 out of the 5 are Top 150 kids, and 2 out of those 4 are 4 star recruits. The last recruit is a 3 star big man who is still a Top 250 kid, plus as the saying goes, you can't teach size, always nice to land a big guy with potential.

These were the types of recruiting classes that Jay Wright built his program with. You are getting solid kids, but you aren't getting the one-and-dones with their eye on the league. You get consistent classes like this and these kids buy into the program and stick around for 3 or 4 years, and you will be a constant Top 20 / Sweet 16 team. There is no doubt. When these kids stick together, and play together for a few years, and develop together, they gel together, and then you get the Senior leadership that a program like Villanova thrives on.

When I make comments to St. John's fans about how I feel that building your program on transfers is not the way to build a program, it is not because I am taking a shot at St. John's, it is just because getting the kids right out of High School who buy into your program, grow in your program, and then lead your program, it is a much different ballgame than when you are relying on kids who haven't played with each other that long and are just coming in to play for 2 years. I just don't think you will ever build a consistent team that way. A good year here or there? Sure, but very hard to stay consistent.

To conclude, congrats to Xavier on this tremendous class. It should be an example to all Big East programs of the type of class you want your coach to pull in every year. If Steele continues to pull in classes like this on a consistent basis, Xavier will be a Top Big East team for the foreseeable future.

https://247sports.com/college/xavier/Se ... l/Targets/
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22693
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby muskieman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am
No IMHO Dino is not the answer. Give Steele 2 to 3 years minimum to make something happen.....unless next year is worse. X has made its own bed by not being "able" to keep CM. Players come to play basketball for a coach, not a school. Going to be very hard to recruit now.
I do not like this position but for once in a long while I agree with Ron about X making its own bed by not being "able" to keep Chris. X needs to find a way to make itself a desirable program that is not just for up and comers but for a good solid coach to find a home. I think they were starting to do that this last time with the private plane and better money than the past but did they do everything it takes to be a big-time program? Sure it is a smaller school but they need to be more proactive in finding solutions outside the box. Corporate hookups need to be more than a doctors group, an ice company, Cintas and others (no offense they are all good solid partners) but where are big Ohio and national brands? Where is the sugar daddy companies...yea, looking at you McKesson and Adobe? We can't live on the $15.25 AH send in each year.

Ron's last comment was the part I am used to reading and is more the Rom I know. I don't think next years recruiting class of the 2020 recruiting class shows that it can be hard to recruit at X. I think recruiting comes with winning but I think TS can bring in good solid recruits and some outstanding recruits. I wish that X would take the position of filling every spot every year and not leaving the door open to having a short bench and not enough good players to practice against.

I seem to remember the "I trust in Steele" motto before and at the beginning of the year were those fans pushed into a closet because a short-handed team did not meet expectations. I feel for Hankins who came to X "because they make the tournament every year" but as part of the team he needs to be accountable for his part in this season, as does each player and each coach. There are many reasons but no excuses.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Musketeer1 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm
After this coaching debacle ends, what about Dino? Roots go back to Skip. ACC HC experience (61-31 with Wake). And an opportunity to take from CM's cupboard. Seems like he could be a steady hand to get the ship back on track...
I hate saying anything negative about Skip, because of the kind of man he was, but he was not widely successful. X made the NCAA Tourney only 4 times during his 7 years as an HC, and the NIT once or twice. His shining achievement in my mind was going to the tourney the year after X ascended from the MCC to the A-10. Also, he was the best representative a school could ever hope for. Frankly, even if Skip won the NC, it is still waaaay too premature to make any conclusions about Travis. He is doing well on the recruiting front, so now both player development and his coaching has to take a step up.

As far as Dino G is concerned, I similarly hate to say anything negative about him, because he seems like a great guy, and former X man. I also think he’s a good X-O guy, but wouldn’t want him as a HC. He did pretty well at Wake, going to the tourney two of three years, but also inherited a top 5 class (I think they were the 3rd or 4th best class) who committed before Skip passed. He got fired because he flamed out early in the tournament.

RE: TS, if no progress is made by the end of year 3, I think it may time to say goodbye on a steel guitar.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm

tacitus wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:13 am
This season is very disappointing. I thought we had enough talent on the roster to be competitive in the Big East and maybe sneak into the tournament.

But it is way too early to call for Steele's head. This season is not even over yet! And there are a lot of big games to play yet.

We have to remain objective. We have been blown out a few times (which stings), but most of our losses were competitive games. Our loss to Villanova this year was by far our best performance against them away from Cintas ever.

I really like Sports Reference as a data source for comparing teams and seasons. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/xavier/) Based on the SRS formula, this is our worst season since 2012-13. This is based on margin of victory/loss and SOS. But the current season is our 28th best overall using that metric. Both Mack's rebuilding year (2012-13) and Miller's rebuilding year (2004-2005) were worse years. Although our records were better in those years, our SOS was much weaker and the win and loss margins were worse.

So, while we did not expect to find ourselves suddenly in last place in the Big East with all but zero chance at the post season, the Big East is unforgiving. We have a solid class coming in next year.

Having said all of this, I stand by a statement I have made previously: unless we are back to a 20-win bubble season next year (including the BE tourney), I think we need a new coach sooner rather than later. That has to remain the status quo for an average Xavier season. More than two years below that would cause irreparable damage to our brand.

(And for those of you who always reply with "there is more to this than winning games", get real! It is not just our athletic department which has been built upon the on-the-court success of basketball. Our record-breaking classes, all the new facilities, and the increased value of a Xavier degree over the past decade plus are all a result of that success as well. Like it or not, up-and-coming Xavier coaches will not have the same slack the did in the past.
A lot of good points made. However, I think barring unusual circumstances, Steele should get 3 years (2 more). to change the trajectory of this year. If X shows improvement, and has another good class coming in, I don't think irreparable damage will be done to their brand, even if they miss the tourney again. They will still play in a state of the art arena, fly private charters to games, and still have the legacy of being a top 20 program in cbb (outside of the blue bloods) in the last two decades.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Musketeer1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am
I appreciate the well-reasoned responses from all who have said that it is too soon to issue calls to move to another coach. I understand that at least another season or two of Steele is imminent. I suspect that is the industry standard, absent scandal, and to act more hastily would be perceived to potentially visit more harm on the program's reputation. I also understand that the loss of veteran starters is a big deal. I look at Villanova though, who lost 4 players to the NBA (two unexpectedly) and see that they have progressed throughout the season to remain atop the conference. Jay Wright assessed the team he had early on (taking lumps against Furman and Penn), adapted a style to fit its strengths, and convinced the players (including several freshman) to buy in to his plan for success. Expecting a first-time, first-year head coach to be like Jay Wright is irrational, of course. But that is part of the problem with this hire in the first place. Even assuming Steele may someday have those coaching skills, ought this program suffer while he starts down that long road with his training wheels clanking along? And, if so, where is the promise that better days are coming? I am curious what evidence of future success I am missing in Steele's performance thus far? Selfish tendencies remain for those players who have the AAU flu. The transfers are working desperately to contribute to make this last season of their basketball careers meaningful, yet their scattershot use and indiscernable roles blunt thier contributions. The anointed team leader has regressed. The dozens of turnovers have persisted. These are things any head coach is responsible to improve, whether in his first year, or his twentieth. If Steele is to get more time, I think it reasonable to expect there be some evidence he is up to the task.
I look at Villanova though, who lost 4 players to the NBA (two unexpectedly) and see that they have progressed throughout the season to remain atop the conference.
Nova is a different animal and an anomaly. Not a good comp. for anyone. They also happen to have one of the 3 best coaches in cbb.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
LLS

Neither Boothe nor Paschal appear on any draft boards. I think JW is just doing what J Wright does. He is the brother from another mother of Brad Stevens.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:36 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm
Xavier2005 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am
No IMHO Dino is not the answer. Give Steele 2 to 3 years minimum to make something happen.....unless next year is worse. X has made its own bed by not being "able" to keep CM. Players come to play basketball for a coach, not a school. Going to be very hard to recruit now.
I do not like this position but for once in a long while I agree with Ron about X making its own bed by not being "able" to keep Chris. X needs to find a way to make itself a desirable program that is not just for up and comers but for a good solid coach to find a home. I think they were starting to do that this last time with the private plane and better money than the past but did they do everything it takes to be a big-time program? Sure it is a smaller school but they need to be more proactive in finding solutions outside the box. Corporate hookups need to be more than a doctors group, an ice company, Cintas and others (no offense they are all good solid partners) but where are big Ohio and national brands? Where is the sugar daddy companies...yea, looking at you McKesson and Adobe? We can't live on the $15.25 AH send in each year.

Ron's last comment was the part I am used to reading and is more the Rom I know. I don't think next years recruiting class of the 2020 recruiting class shows that it can be hard to recruit at X. I think recruiting comes with winning but I think TS can bring in good solid recruits and some outstanding recruits. I wish that X would take the position of filling every spot every year and not leaving the door open to having a short bench and not enough good players to practice against.

I seem to remember the "I trust in Steele" motto before and at the beginning of the year were those fans pushed into a closet because a short-handed team did not meet expectations. I feel for Hankins who came to X "because they make the tournament every year" but as part of the team he needs to be accountable for his part in this season, as does each player and each coach. There are many reasons but no excuses.
I do not like this position but for once in a long while I agree with Ron about X making its own bed by not being "able" to keep Chris.
MMan,

I don't like sweeping either, but I think eating paint chips may be causing irreparable damage to that beautiful mind of yours. Are you insane to think X losing CM was X's fault? They have a fraction of the endowment of L-Ville, play in an arena half the size, and lack the legacy of their bb program, largely due to two NCs (even though their program has a history of chronically cheating). Like the great Bilas said on Sat., L-Ville is a top 5 program. He also will make millions more over the term, plays in the best conference in America, and will be on national TV much more often.

Roy Williams left Kansas to go to NC. Do you blame Kansas for that? Please stop looking for ways to tear down my alma mater.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22693
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby muskieman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
LLS

Neither Boothe nor Paschal appear on any draft boards. I think JW is just doing what J Wright does. He is the brother from another mother of Brad Stevens.
did you check the boards? Here are some you missed https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... tch#slide6
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019.html
ouch
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5232
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 pm

muskieman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
LLS

Neither Boothe nor Paschal appear on any draft boards. I think JW is just doing what J Wright does. He is the brother from another mother of Brad Stevens.
did you check the boards? Here are some you missed https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... tch#slide6
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019.html
ouch
You are correct sir. I checked the boards two weeks ago in hopes Scruggs didn't appear on any and didn't recall seeing either Paschal or Booth. Nevertheless, Nova is a top 12 team with the 4th and 6th best players from last year's team as the leaders. Pretty damn impressive.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests