Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Villanova and X being compared is apples to grapefruit. Villanova has a great coach, been to the FF, has won the National Championship, V re loads/not re builds, has current NBA type talented players, consistently at the top of the BE ,and often wins the BE tournament , etc etc....most to all of these X does not do or has never done. No comparison to be made apples and grapefruits. And PS (the topic headline ) ...Dino does not even come close to X's coaches results.....and is way far behind Villanova...so why would he be the answer????
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

This is sill. Steele isn’t going anywhere for at least a few years. It’s been 40 years since they fired a coach (Baker, right?) and I don’t think they are any position to be paying a coach to go away. Nor do I think they will need to.

Regarding Xavier being able to keep a coach, be realistic. Does X lose a coach to a power 5 school that has no chance of winning league championships, or competing for final 4’s and national championships? Not anymore they don’t. Ohio State, Arizona, UL are all destination jobs where a coach has the support and facilities to reach the very top. X isn’t losing coaches to Providence or Wake Forest anymore. There are only a very limited number of top echelon jobs and they don’t come open very often. When they do, just about any coach in the country is going to interested in them.
#WHYNOTX?
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm
This is sill. Steele isn’t going anywhere for at least a few years. It’s been 40 years since they fired a coach (Baker, right?) and I don’t think they are any position to be paying a coach to go away. Nor do I think they will need to.

Regarding Xavier being able to keep a coach, be realistic. Does X lose a coach to a power 5 school that has no chance of winning league championships, or competing for final 4’s and national championships? Not anymore they don’t. Ohio State, Arizona, UL are all destination jobs where a coach has the support and facilities to reach the very top. X isn’t losing coaches to Providence or Wake Forest anymore. There are only a very limited number of top echelon jobs and they don’t come open very often. When they do, just about any coach in the country is going to interested in them.
Well..as Meatloaf would sing - 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Ohio St is and probably always will be a football school first and foremost.
When Matta went there, OSU had had 1 F4 appearance in the last 40 years (and that appearance was vacated).
Matta elevated the program, IMO. Maybe not to the level of the early 60's with Fred Taylor and Jerry Lucas but better than where it was.
A college basketball destination job is where basketball is king over football, IMO.
You can count those schools on 2 hands. Az (thanks to Lute Olson) is one. U of L is another. Others - UCLA, IU, UK, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kansas, Mich St. Maybe UConn. Maybe Virginia.
Not counting schools that don't play D1 college football.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Get Real

Postby Get Real » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm

No, he is not the answer.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Money is far from the only reason Mack left. I really dont think there were many jobs he would have left X for. Louisville is one of the top 5 programs over the last 40 years. Multiple Final Fours and national titles.Hard to turn that down. Let's give Travis a chance. I can't say that he's done anything to overly impress me this first year but he has very limited talent on this team. I'd like to think we'd at least be a bubble team next year and a legit tournament team the year after that. If not then I think he's going to be on a very hot seat. Also keep in mind that despite this team poor record, they really don't have very many bad losses. I think San Diego State is probably the only team outside the top 100 that we've lost two. Everybody in the Big East is in the top 100. I think it's just frustrating that we've had opportunities to win a number of games and we just fall apart in the final minutes.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am

Musketeer1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am
I appreciate the well-reasoned responses from all who have said that it is too soon to issue calls to move to another coach. I understand that at least another season or two of Steele is imminent. I suspect that is the industry standard, absent scandal, and to act more hastily would be perceived to potentially visit more harm on the program's reputation. I also understand that the loss of veteran starters is a big deal. I look at Villanova though, who lost 4 players to the NBA (two unexpectedly) and see that they have progressed throughout the season to remain atop the conference. Jay Wright assessed the team he had early on (taking lumps against Furman and Penn), adapted a style to fit its strengths, and convinced the players (including several freshman) to buy in to his plan for success. Expecting a first-time, first-year head coach to be like Jay Wright is irrational, of course. But that is part of the problem with this hire in the first place. Even assuming Steele may someday have those coaching skills, ought this program suffer while he starts down that long road with his training wheels clanking along? And, if so, where is the promise that better days are coming? I am curious what evidence of future success I am missing in Steele's performance thus far? Selfish tendencies remain for those players who have the AAU flu. The transfers are working desperately to contribute to make this last season of their basketball careers meaningful, yet their scattershot use and indiscernable roles blunt thier contributions. The anointed team leader has regressed. The dozens of turnovers have persisted. These are things any head coach is responsible to improve, whether in his first year, or his twentieth. If Steele is to get more time, I think it reasonable to expect there be some evidence he is up to the task.
Completely unfair and irrational to compare X to Nova. Yes Nova lost four guys to the NBA but kept two high quality players as previously mentioned. Nova had a great recruiting class that came in this year. As we know, X has zero seniors on this team and 2 jrs who try hard but can't shoot. X had great players last year who absolutely masked the deficiencies of our team this year-specifically the poor shooting of Goodin and Marshall. Neither shot well from the outside last year and have worsened this year and shoot more. The incoming FR class brought in by Mack are not the same type of players X have gotten in the past-again due to everyone knowing Mack was leaving. While Coach K, Cal, and Roy Williams are lauded as great coaches-it comes down to having great players. These programs don't recruit-they select. Programs like X are tied so closely to the coaches so when a coach leaves, the program will take a hit. Keep in mind, Mack was very fortunate of the timing of Kelvin Sampson's cheating to get Crawford and Tu. I don't know how Steele will do over time but he will have his players next year which will mean at least five FR -2-3 will have to make an impact.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm

tacitus wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:13 am
This season is very disappointing. I thought we had enough talent on the roster to be competitive in the Big East and maybe sneak into the tournament.

But it is way too early to call for Steele's head. This season is not even over yet! And there are a lot of big games to play yet.

We have to remain objective. We have been blown out a few times (which stings), but most of our losses were competitive games. Our loss to Villanova this year was by far our best performance against them away from Cintas ever.

I really like Sports Reference as a data source for comparing teams and seasons. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/xavier/) Based on the SRS formula, this is our worst season since 2012-13. This is based on margin of victory/loss and SOS. But the current season is our 28th best overall using that metric. Both Mack's rebuilding year (2012-13) and Miller's rebuilding year (2004-2005) were worse years. Although our records were better in those years, our SOS was much weaker and the win and loss margins were worse.

So, while we did not expect to find ourselves suddenly in last place in the Big East with all but zero chance at the post season, the Big East is unforgiving. We have a solid class coming in next year.

Having said all of this, I stand by a statement I have made previously: unless we are back to a 20-win bubble season next year (including the BE tourney), I think we need a new coach sooner rather than later. That has to remain the status quo for an average Xavier season. More than two years below that would cause irreparable damage to our brand.

(And for those of you who always reply with "there is more to this than winning games", get real! It is not just our athletic department which has been built upon the on-the-court success of basketball. Our record-breaking classes, all the new facilities, and the increased value of a Xavier degree over the past decade plus are all a result of that success as well. Like it or not, up-and-coming Xavier coaches will not have the same slack the did in the past.
An off year in this league is not nearly as forgiving as one in the A10.No BE team other than X is outside of the top 100 in the NET rankings.Our worst loss this year is to SDSU. We've just let several games slip away in the final minutes. I would agree with you that the money generated by the basketball team is huge to the school.I think most people will continue to support the school regardless of wins and losses but you don't want this thing to go off the rails too much.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
LLS

Neither Boothe nor Paschal appear on any draft boards. I think JW is just doing what J Wright does. He is the brother from another mother of Brad Stevens.
plenty of dudes go to the NBA who aren't "on draft boards".

those two will find a home in the NBA. not gonna be all stars but they will be in the league.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:44 am

I can see both Paschal and Booth in the association.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
LLS

Neither Boothe nor Paschal appear on any draft boards. I think JW is just doing what J Wright does. He is the brother from another mother of Brad Stevens.
plenty of dudes go to the NBA who aren't "on draft boards".

those two will find a home in the NBA. not gonna be all stars but they will be in the league.
I agree, especially considering since they play and thrive in the pro-style offense at Nova. Hell, Archdiacano (sp) is in the league, and he only beat Muskienick by 43 yards in the 50-yard dash.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”