DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
whopper
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby whopper » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm

there is no way Hardin, Welage and Castin played 40 minutes. Hardin played 3 tops, I doubt Welage more than 12, that would be Castlin at 25 which I doubt. I bet all 3 together played 25 minutes. Not that they played well nor bad. It just seems that the "core 4" don't really have confidence in them. Welage played 30 min first DePaul game with 17 pos 3 Reb for what it is worth
mumuskie87
Posts: 12154
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm

whopper wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm
there is no way Hardin, Welage and Castin played 40 minutes. Hardin played 3 tops, I doubt Welage more than 12, that would be Castlin at 25 which I doubt. I bet all 3 together played 25 minutes. Not that they played well nor bad. It just seems that the "core 4" don't really have confidence in them. Welage played 30 min first DePaul game with 17 pos 3 Reb for what it is worth
Per X's website and Ken Pom here were their minutes -
Castlin 22
Harden 10
Welage 8

As I said, X's invisible men.

Welage has played a total of 12 minutes the last 2 games.
And yea..he had a pretty good game in the 1st game against DePaul.
And a game x actually won. Their only road win this year.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87
Posts: 12154
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby mumuskie87 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 pm

Harden subbed in at the 11:48 mark in the 1H and subbed out at the 8:31 mark. Played a little over 3 minutes.
2H - subbed in at 14:56 mark and subbed out at 8:49 - played 6 minutes
Went for Marshall after he fouled out with 41 seconds left.
His total line tonight -
1 personal foul
That's it!!!
Zero shots
Zero rebounds
Zero assists
Zero steals
Zero turnovers
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5199
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 pm

bluegrass wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 pm
Has any team ever gone from a #1 seed to 20 loses ?this is painful to watch. These are situations where somebody's got to step up and say we're not going to lose. I'm not sure we have that person
I don't know but that's like asking if a guy who had 5ok in chips did as well at the tables as the guy who had 1MM. CM left the table virtually empty when he left the $25 dollar table to go with the high rollers..

My biggest concern now is I think Steele clearly has lost the team. He needs to sit even the alleged best players for periods of time if they play poorly or selfishly. The deer in the headlights for Steele is now like looking straight into an eclipse.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecoach
Posts: 1302
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby thecoach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 am

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm
DePaul simply out hustled X.
Look at all of the stats that reflect that -

2nd chance points -
DePaul 18
X 2

Fast break points -
DePaul 14
X 2

Pts off TO's
DePaul 15
X 8

Offensive boards
DePaul 14
X 8
That's the mark of a team who is tired and has no legs. What's interesting is both X and Depaul have 3 guys who average 30 minutes or better a game. It also doesn't explain the bad decision making down the stretch.
whopper
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby whopper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:49 am

when I look at the stats on offensive rebounds, fast break points, points off turnovers it makes me wonder how we were even ahead by 6 with 7 to go. Then again they probably had 5 offensive rebounds, 6 fast break points which were points off turnovers in the last 5 minutes anyway. I did miss the first half.
mumuskie87
Posts: 12154
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 am

thecoach wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 am
mumuskie87 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm
DePaul simply out hustled X.
Look at all of the stats that reflect that -

2nd chance points -
DePaul 18
X 2

Fast break points -
DePaul 14
X 2

Pts off TO's
DePaul 15
X 8

Offensive boards
DePaul 14
X 8
That's the mark of a team who is tired and has no legs. What's interesting is both X and Depaul have 3 guys who average 30 minutes or better a game. It also doesn't explain the bad decision making down the stretch.
Strus and Cain played 39 and 38 minutes respectively. Is X's guys just not as well-conditioned ? I don't know.
And if X was tired and had no legs then they must have started the game that way.
DePaul had 11 offensive rebounds to X's 6 in the 1st half and had 11 2nd chance points to X's 0 as well in the 1st half.
Frankly, it is a lack of effort and hustle on the part of X.
DePaul was 4-2 in pts off TO's in the 1H. X only had 6 TO's in the 1H but had 10 in the 2H with 5 of those coming in the last 4 minutes of the game.
Those end of game TO's are back to the bad decision making or "hero ball" that Marshall, Goodin and now Scruggs continue to play in crunch time.
If the coaches are telling them to do that, that's a problem.
If the coaches are telling them not to do that and they still do, that's a bigger problem.
Last edited by mumuskie87 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87
Posts: 12154
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 pm
bluegrass wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 pm
Has any team ever gone from a #1 seed to 20 loses ?this is painful to watch. These are situations where somebody's got to step up and say we're not going to lose. I'm not sure we have that person
My biggest concern now is I think Steele clearly has lost the team. He needs to sit even the alleged best players for periods of time if they play poorly or selfishly. The deer in the headlights for Steele is now like looking straight into an eclipse.
Unfortunately, that is what it seems like. This team is going to lose out playing the guys they are playing.
It's sad to hear Steele imploring his team to box out during a time out. It's something you might tell a 5th grade CYO team but shouldn't have to tell a bunch of 20 year olds.
I remember Larkin saying at the Musketeer Club pre-season event at Delicio's that Steele had to go from being the good cop to the bad cop. It appears that he hasn't made that switch yet. It may or may not be within him to do that but he needs to figure out pretty quickly or the problems he has this year are not going to be any different next year.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
whopper
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby whopper » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

I thought the benching of Marshall and Jones after Missouri was the bad cop(and we won without either) and I think Q got a benching once too. Lets think good thoughts as we need to win some games this year..just for everyone's mental health. Remember we did come back against Depaul, Butler and G Town and could easily be winless a lot more likely than we would have won Seton Hall, Marquette, G Town2 and Depaul.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5199
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 pm

whopper wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm
I thought the benching of Marshall and Jones after Missouri was the bad cop(and we won without either) and I think Q got a benching once too. Lets think good thoughts as we need to win some games this year..just for everyone's mental health. Remember we did come back against Depaul, Butler and G Town and could easily be winless a lot more likely than we would have won Seton Hall, Marquette, G Town2 and Depaul.
In fairness to Jones,

All signs point to him having a legitimate reason for not playing; a concussion. It was a bit curious that he wasn't on the bench, because even other players in different sports including bball, who had to sit a game or two due to the latter still attended the games. However, as usual, AH give him the benefit of the doubt.

In Marshall's case, however, if his back was hurting so much that he couldn't be on the bench supporting his teammates, I would assume he wouldn't be out in the clubs a couple of hours later doing the Macarena, and then driving/flying 800 miles to go home to NJ. Q has been in the twilight zone for much of the year, and has been "disconnected", but may possibly be dealing with off the court issues (not legal).

UNCORROBORATED[/i reports have Q channeling Lyon's and contacting teams including Coach Devo down south. Though he has had a disappointing season, I would still hate to lose him. Again, it is only a rumor, and I wouldn't post it if it didn't appear in social medial. If true, Steele should sit him for the rest of the year. He needs to start creating the narrative of what kind of coach he is going to be. The story so far points more to Barney Fife than Andy Griffith.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests