DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
JTG

Re: DePaul Game Thread 2/9/19

Postby JTG » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:41 pm
Goodin is having off the court issues, which are widely known. There is speculation that he will not be back next season along with two others. Steele does not have these guys ready for end of game situations, which has happened basically every game that we have not been blown out. Q was even lazy on attempted layups at games end (even though we needed a three). I would take him out in pressure situations. This team is a mess.
Ah, could you elaborate on Goodin's well known off court issues . I'm not sure I care if he comes back. Might be addition by subtraction.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 pm
bluegrass wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 pm
Has any team ever gone from a #1 seed to 20 loses ?this is painful to watch. These are situations where somebody's got to step up and say we're not going to lose. I'm not sure we have that person
My biggest concern now is I think Steele clearly has lost the team. He needs to sit even the alleged best players for periods of time if they play poorly or selfishly. The deer in the headlights for Steele is now like looking straight into an eclipse.
Unfortunately, that is what it seems like. This team is going to lose out playing the guys they are playing.
It's sad to hear Steele imploring his team to box out during a time out. It's something you might tell a 5th grade CYO team but shouldn't have to tell a bunch of 20 year olds.
I remember Larkin saying at the Musketeer Club pre-season event at Delicio's that Steele had to go from being the good cop to the bad cop. It appears that he hasn't made that switch yet. It may or may not be within him to do that but he needs to figure out pretty quickly or the problems he has this year are not going to be any different next year.
I recall Mack facing the same criticism his first few years .It's a big move going from seat 2 to seat 1.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Steele has been on the bench for 10 years. We would be in good shape if we only played 30 min games. This team has not been prepared and has a low IQ. I'm not sure that Q and Naji realize that opposing players jump the passing lane.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm
Steele has been on the bench for 10 years. We would be in good shape if we only played 30 min games. This team has not been prepared and has a low IQ. I'm not sure that Q and Naji realize that opposing players jump the passing lane.
My point has been that Travis has been an assistant for 10 years and I don’t believe anyone has been interested in him as a head coach. Not even a mid major.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm

JTG wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 pm
skyhops wrote:
Goodin is having off the court issues, which are widely known. There is speculation that he will not be back next season along with two others. Steele does not have these guys ready for end of game situations, which has happened basically every game that we have not been blown out. Q was even lazy on attempted layups at games end (even though we needed a three). I would take him out in pressure situations. This team is a mess.
Ah, could you elaborate on Goodin's well known off court issues . I'm not sure I care if he comes back. Might be addition by subtraction.
Ah, could you elaborate on Goodin's well known off court issues

I said, "He may be dealing with off the court issues." Anyway, as it is not public info., he has the right to his privacy. If there was an issue, and it's private, it ain't legal.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm
JTG wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 pm
skyhops wrote:
Ah, could you elaborate on Goodin's well known off court issues

I said, "He may be dealing with off the court issues." Anyway, as it is not public info., he has the right to his privacy. If there was an issue, and it's private, it ain't legal.
skyhops said "Goodin's off court issues are widely known". not really sure on that one, but i can tell you this: there is an issue. it's NOT illegal or dealing with the law.

but it's private so we will just keep it at that.

it's fine to be frustrated with the team's lack of being able to finish games. I'm sure the players are frustrated as is Steele. and i'm guessing they are about 1000 times more frustrated than us.

how about just get behind these guys, support as an X fan, and just hope for the best. we've been spoiled as a program for awhile, even when we've had an "off" year.

Steele will get this figured out. he already has taken one step forward with the class he's bringing in next year and he's not even done with that class yet.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:46 am

Q seems to be a liability when he plays particularly in the second half of games, so he needs to sit if he does not have his head on straight. Once again Steele has recruited and been with this group from day one, so he might not get it. Same mistakes every game.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”