This weekend in the BE

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mumuskie87

This weekend in the BE

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Felt weird with X not playing but it was a good weekend for the Muskies.
X is now tied for 3rd place w/ GTown at 8-8.
SJU lost at DePaul and is now 8-9 as did the Hall at Gtown and they are 7-9.
Creighton upset Marquette at Marquette and Marquette is a 1/2 game behind Nova for 1st place in the BE.
For the most part X controls their destiny to get sole possession of 3rd place in the BE.
Win their last 2 and they finish 10-8. Only Gtown could tie them and they have 2 road games left - at DePaul and then at Marquette.
Have to think they win lose at least one of those 2 road games.
If that happens and X beats Butler and SJU, they finish 10-8 and sole possession of 3rd place.
If the 5 year history of the new BE, there have been 13 teams that have had a conference record of 10-8.
12 of the 13 have received a NCAA Tournament bid.
The only one not to receive a bid was SJU in 2014.
If X can win the next 2, I like their chances for getting a bid
But X is an extended version of the NCAA Tournament.
It's survive and advance for X with each game.
It's win or go home.
All that matters for now is beating Butler at Hinkle on Tuesday night.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
bluegrass

Re: This weekend in the BE

Postby bluegrass » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am

I think our non conference schedule will hurt us.No great wins and a bad loss to SDSU and Mizzou.Probably need these next 2 and at least one win in NYC.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:38 pm

agree 110% with Bluegrass. Let's not get carried away yet. "Just win baby" should be our one and only motto. Weak non-conference with no real signature wins prior to league. In the old days, they used to award style points on the committee for last 10 game record. Supposedly they do not anymore. So we are at least thinking about visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads. Which is fantastic. But a loss to either Butler or SJU erases all of that. Win out, make it to the semi's of the BE tourney and that should put us barely on the right side of the bubble. Given where we were 3 weeks ago, I will take it. On to Butler, with nothing else mattering but that at the moment.....
whopper

Postby whopper » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:40 pm

if not in the SDSU game would for me be the killer.. Up by 20 in first half and did not look even competitive. Seems like 100 years ago now which is the beauty of sports
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

This is how you lose your job as a coach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 28ebab4f35
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 am

thecoach wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
This is how you lose your job as a coach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 28ebab4f35
there is ZERO chance that Ewing gets fired.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 am

No, not after year 2. However, a momentum killer for his second year. He needs a strong run in Nyc. The path to termination is a long road. Mr. Mullin has a similar situation.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am

thecoach wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 am
No, not after year 2. However, a momentum killer for his second year. He needs a strong run in Nyc. The path to termination is a long road. Mr. Mullin has a similar situation.
this BE tourney is anyone's for the taking. only Marq and Nova should feel safe for the NCAA tourney so everyone else that's tied for 3rd right now (5 teams at 8-9 are literally in lose and go home mode - even from the NIT as i don't think the NIT takes anyone who is below .500 in their conference. i may be wrong on that but i though i read that somewhere). so all 8-9 teams will be fighting their a$$ off for that last win to get to 9-9 and then obviously probably have to win the tourney to get in. if Nova or Marq win the BE tourney, the BE could be a 2-bid league.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am

It's funny how it works out as Gtown has Marquette in the final game and both really need a win. Gtown for obvious reasons, but if Marquette were to lose that would be 4 straight. They had a real nice seed a couple weeks ago, but now the tourney is likely going to be big for them seeding wise given the bad end to the season. If you're Mq, you can't lose at home to Gtown. Translated, not likely good news for Gtown.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 am

thecoach wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am
It's funny how it works out as Gtown has Marquette in the final game and both really need a win. Gtown for obvious reasons, but if Marquette were to lose that would be 4 straight. They had a real nice seed a couple weeks ago, but now the tourney is likely going to be big for them seeding wise given the bad end to the season. If you're Mq, you can't lose at home to Gtown. Translated, not likely good news for Gtown.
and also better news for us as we want them to lose so our chance of a better seed in BE tourney goes up and also probably puts G-town OUT of the NCAA tourney barring a 4-game run in the BE tourney. heck, if G-town loses they may end up in the 7-10 range and not get that first day off.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”