Butler Game Thread 3/5/2019

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Butler Game Thread 3/5/2019

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:01 pm

I think we all agree that Q needs to get a breathier especially considering we did well without him at one point in the season. Against Butler his defense was not good and he didn't score in the second half, so take him out give ball to Scruggs and put Harden at SG at least for a few minutes. I think Q has become a punching bag because he has regressed more than any player with his expectations.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:56 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 pm
skyhops wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm
If Q is the guy we are in serious trouble. Naji yes but not Q in fact we have played better many times this year without Q. Q played well at St Johns but besides that has not shot well and is the poorest ball handler among PG’s in the big east. He got picked on by Jurgensen. He should have been benched and the ball given to Scruggs. Q doesn’t even drive to the basket strong anymore. He also is not one of the players to practice the hardest.
hey, i even felt like Naji tried more "1 on 1 trying to be the hero/make the big shot" last night than Q did. Q has shot well in 3 out of the last 5 wins and hasn't really settled for 3's as much as Naji has. i think the most he took in a game is 5 and went 2-5 that game. Scruggs has shown signs of being the guy we want to give the ball to, but i just can't trust it in his hands at crunch time right now. he's more turnover prone than Q is. and i'm not sure how many practices you attend, but how would you know? i'm saying Steele is gonna play the guys who practice the hardest and give him the best chance to win. he believes Q does that. Scruggs also takes himself out of games at times because of stupid fouls. he would play upwards of 35 minutes if he didn't have to sit for foul trouble. that would give Steele a chance to actually rest Naji or Q but he hasn't been able to do that.
Like it or not, Q and Marshall are two of the better players. However, Q is much better if he is a pass first PG and realize he is the 5th best option. Even during the wining streak, his A/TO ratio was just over 1 (1.05) and his 3 point shooting was about at his avg for the year at 31.8%. This team rides Marshall's success which is a problem when you are not a good shooter. He is marginally streaky. During the winning streak his A/TO ratio a little better than Goodin and shot well above his avg from 3 (39.8%). Scruggs has definitely regressed of late but he typically doesn't force shots like the other two which is one reason he shoots at a much higher percentage. This team can only win on "lucky" streak shooting from Marshall and Goodin and great D. Their D has improved since the beginning of the year but they will have same problem all year-offense
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Naji yes, but not Q. His stat line for 40 mins last game was terrible and his shooting has been terrible this season. Their two guards had nine steals ours had one and Q had 0. Teams dare him to shoot and pick his pocket when he dribbles.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”