Butler Game Thread 3/5/2019

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mumuskie87

Re: Butler Game Thread 3/5/2019

Postby mumuskie87 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 pm

Time for a shot or two of bourbon.
Not to waste the good stuff tonight but Wild Turkey 101 will do just fine.
Is was a good streak.
Tough night from 3 for Marshall, Goodin and Scruggs - 1-6, 1-4, 2-7 respectively. Combined 2-17 or under 25%.
Harden and Welage were 3-6.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 pm

MVPs of the game for Butler: Goodin-Marshall tied for 1st, Baldwin 2nd, Jorgensen 3rd. Marshall has been very good the past two weeks, but just like with Goofdin, making threes was fool's gold. Despite his blistering 41% shooting from 3's the past few weeks, his 3 point avg still hovered around 30%. Neither of those two should be permitted to take more than 3 step in 3s in a game with more than 3 seconds on the shot clock. They're bad outside shooters. Everyone but Steele seems to understand that. It's difficult when two of your top three perimeter players are poor outside shooters, turnover prone, and have low bball I.Q.s

A microcosm of Marshall's low I.Q. was when X was down by six with 25 seconds or go, and he drove into the lane and threw a high arcing runner while triple teamed, which had a 7.1% chance of going in. Welage was wide open, but oddly, the pattern of not throwing him the ball continues. Just to put the icing on the cake, then Goodin came down and took the same shot, which had a 6.8% chance of going in. They were 2-9 from 3, which is their statistical season average, and had 10 turnovers and 5 assists. The Washington Generals have better stats against the Globe Trotters.

As much as Steele has improved, he still cannot get over the hurdle of making Goodin and Marshall accountable. He has no problem sitting Scruggs, because Scruggs won't tell him to F$%k Off as Goodin did, or do whatever Marshall did to be suspended earlier this year. HE still needs to grow some Steele ones. I didn't expect an X win tonight, but to go out with the number of turnovers, and poor shot selection is disheartening. Now they have to beat the Johnnies and win the BE to make the dance. It can be done, even with the most selfish and low IQ team X has had in years. Kudos to Welage and Hankins for playing very sound, efficient ball. Hankins should be voted the MVP of this team.

Marshall and Goodin owe them and the rest of the team an apology.

AH Out.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:15 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 pm
Might need to give Goodin a blow before the under 4 TO
If only. I would have rather had Castlin play point.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm
Bad miss from 3 by Marshall
Tough shot by Baldwin with 3 sec on the shot clock.

BU's defense has just been better tonight.
Agreed,

But when Q and Marshall play hero ball the whole night, Welage would have looked like an All American defender against them.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:54 pm
Baldwin has been unbelievable down the stretch
And BU gets another steal.
11 steals to X's 2.
BU frankly just wanted it more tonight.
Baldwin is a hell of a player and a pure point guard. A poor man's Tu Holloway......though I hope not off the court.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Once again I agree with all points made by my dawg Anti-Homer. One decent game and I praise Q to everyone and then decides to go scoreless in the second half, not pass the ball to open shooters, get schooled by opposing PG, and commit six turnovers. Baldwin was licking his chops everytime Naji and Q dribbled the ball. Steele also reverted to his old ways by leaving your best player (Hankins) on the bench after a great second half. Butler stinks inside, so we decide to play street ball. It seems that it is 50/50 whether Q comes back, especially since KyKy is a better PG. I never thought that we would get pushed around by Butler.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 pm

If we had a real point guard we win 7 more games including tonights! Basketball Jones was MIA tonight....nothing like during the win streak. Me thinks he enjoyed playing in front of his mother on the east coast as did Marshall. We lost our discipline again. A really good pg would have continued to pound the paint all eventing. It was not even close our bigs vs BU's bigs a real mismatch. The announcer was saying so all night. One Butler player had 6 steals tonight. I swear its like our guys are dribbling and passing like they are on tranquilizers.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 pm

It has been mentioned that Q could leave after this year. Great !! Surely we can get a better pg. how many TOS did he have this eve?
6 turnovers and 4 assists. And Travis lets him play 40 minutes???
muskyfisherman

Postby muskyfisherman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 am

Could we trade Goodin for cash and a player to be named later? Lol
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 am

I've never been a big fan of Goodin as a pg, in fact completely the opposite. He's got skills to be a backup pg, but his position is likely the off guard or a small 3 in a triple guard offense. That said, it's hard to criticize a guy when he's on the court 40 minutes. The coach has to make that call, and the depth is not there but to move Scruggs over was a little tricky with 3 fouls. Having a guy out there for 40 minutes handling the ball you can only expect so much. A guy playing 40 minutes in the 5th month of the season is asking for trouble. You have to scheme to get him some rest or he's going to make some bad plays. That game was played at a pretty quick pace. My surprise is how they(Butler) pretty much held their own on the glass. That should not happen.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”