Re: Butler Game Thread 3/5/2019

Postby bluegrass » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am

mumuskie87 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:53 pm
had season in their hand and go to Butler and spit the bit
Yep....disappointing.
Butler was desperate for a win and they played like it.Baldwin was the best player on the court and he did everything they needed to win the game.Marshall came back to earth .I know Butler is down this year,but so are we.I think we could finish anywhere from third to ninth.That pretty much tells you the teams in this league are all pretty close.The tournament is pretty wide open this year.I think the continual issue with turnovers will derail us somewhere.Let's beat SJU and at least keep the non losing league streak alive.
My one criticism of Steele is playing Goodin too much and Hankins not enough.I will say Scruggs always seems to get 2 fouls in the first half which puts Steele in a bind.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 am

There was no reason for Q to play the entire particularly with how poor he was playing. Jurgeson (Vanilla Ice jr) was tearing up Q, yet he still plays. Hand the ball the Scruggs and put in Harden to at least make a statement that poor defense and turnovers will not be accepted. How about our guards getting the ball to Welage after he makes a couple threes? Q can't shoot and makes bad decision, but he should be able to use his size and vertical to get to the basket and play defense. I hope he is watching film of Baldwin. If Steele gives him the starting PG job next year it will be the same result.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:48 am

In the past 9 days, Goodin has played 40/40/38 minutes in 3 games. That's crazy. particularly for a pg with injury issues. In my humble opinion that's on the coaching staff. Sometimes as a coach you have to swallow it, and realize you can't always put your best team on the court even with depth issues. Sacrifice the short term for the finish.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:48 am

Coach, Im with you re minutes played by Q! Why are people saying Q is leaving? Is this public knowledge? Is he not happy here? Im calling BS on this rumor!! Regarding the game.....Butler was not to be denied....great homecourt ending to a not so great season on senior night.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am

' THUD " That was the sound of dreams crashing back to earth last evening. The ghosts of our early season woes reared their ugly heads again. Last night's flop versus Butler was a microcosm of the entire 18/19 campaign. Poor personnel decisions, sloppy passing, insufficient energy & zeal to match a fired up opponent, crazy pathetic PG play and a reliance on "hero ball" in lieu of executing a planned offensive flow. So not surprisingly, we got beat by an inferior foe. Fitting. Oh sure, we can hope for a NY miracle, but not with the squad that took the floor last evening. Time to sit back and hope we coast in strong enough for an NIT bid. I feel badly for the grad transfers as they have bought in to teamwork and hustle all year in hopes of making one dance in their careers. Sadly, X's fate was sealed last evening by a group that never could figure out, during numerous time-outs and an abundant half time break, just what that mysterious recipe was that had propelled them to win their prior five games.........
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:39 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 pm
MVPs of the game for Butler: Goodin-Marshall tied for 1st, Baldwin 2nd, Jorgensen 3rd. Marshall has been very good the past two weeks, but just like with Goofdin, making threes was fool's gold. Despite his blistering 41% shooting from 3's the past few weeks, his 3 point avg still hovered around 30%. Neither of those two should be permitted to take more than 3 step in 3s in a game with more than 3 seconds on the shot clock. They're bad outside shooters. Everyone but Steele seems to understand that. It's difficult when two of your top three perimeter players are poor outside shooters, turnover prone, and have low bball I.Q.s

A microcosm of Marshall's low I.Q. was when X was down by six with 25 seconds or go, and he drove into the lane and threw a high arcing runner while triple teamed, which had a 7.1% chance of going in. Welage was wide open, but oddly, the pattern of not throwing him the ball continues. Just to put the icing on the cake, then Goodin came down and took the same shot, which had a 6.8% chance of going in. They were 2-9 from 3, which is their statistical season average, and had 10 turnovers and 5 assists. The Washington Generals have better stats against the Globe Trotters.

As much as Steele has improved, he still cannot get over the hurdle of making Goodin and Marshall accountable. He has no problem sitting Scruggs, because Scruggs won't tell him to F$%k Off as Goodin did, or do whatever Marshall did to be suspended earlier this year. HE still needs to grow some Steele ones. I didn't expect an X win tonight, but to go out with the number of turnovers, and poor shot selection is disheartening. Now they have to beat the Johnnies and win the BE to make the dance. It can be done, even with the most selfish and low IQ team X has had in years. Kudos to Welage and Hankins for playing very sound, efficient ball. Hankins should be voted the MVP of this team.

Marshall and Goodin owe them and the rest of the team an apology.

AH Out.
AH - i get it. you don''t like Naji and Q, but I'm guessing you LOVED them during the 5-game winning streak when they played very well, especially Naji. you can try to blame Steele all you want, but it comes down to this - THESE ARE THE GUYS. there is no one else to go to. we are gonna live or die with our best players on the floor and simply hope they make good decisions and play well. they are freaking 19, 20, 21 year old KIDS who don't always play perfectly as you expect them to. If Q or Naji take one 3 early or have a turnover, you bring it up. i find it hard to always pointing out the NEGATIVE in what our players do, as you seem to do with those 2. we get it. they didn't play well last night AT TIMES. it happens. it's not about selfishness and low bball IQ because they've shown plenty of the opposite in the 5-game win streak. but you seem to feel the need to bring up every possible bad shot, turnover, bad decision and act like it was the reason we lost. it wasn't. heck, we had plenty of GREAT shots (wide open 3's, btw) that just didn't go down. 1 or 2 of those go in and we are singing a different song this morning.

Steele is going with the dudes who practice the hardest and give his team the best chance to win. sometimes you have to let those guys play through mistakes because they've shown, for the most part, that they can make the plays that this team needs to win.

and as usual, it's quite easy to sit at your keyboard and analyze what this player should have done, what the coach should have done, etc everyone on this board is the greatest post-game coach ever.

in the end, you go with the players that give you the best chance to win, and hope they make the plays. our guys didn't last night. it happens.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm

It is the trend or the system? Build for 3 to 7 years, then start all over again from the ground up. Not a reload type system X builds. Knew this year would be average to bad....because it was the beginning again of a total rebuild , if the new pieces work. Next year might be better, but still a rebuild in process....it may work, it may not. If Steele does work out and succeed, well he moves on...as have all the others.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm

If Q is the guy we are in serious trouble. Naji yes but not Q in fact we have played better many times this year without Q. Q played well at St Johns but besides that has not shot well and is the poorest ball handler among PG’s in the big east. He got picked on by Jurgensen. He should have been benched and the ball given to Scruggs. Q doesn’t even drive to the basket strong anymore. He also is not one of the players to practice the hardest.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm
If Q is the guy we are in serious trouble. Naji yes but not Q in fact we have played better many times this year without Q. Q played well at St Johns but besides that has not shot well and is the poorest ball handler among PG’s in the big east. He got picked on by Jurgensen. He should have been benched and the ball given to Scruggs. Q doesn’t even drive to the basket strong anymore. He also is not one of the players to practice the hardest.
hey, i even felt like Naji tried more "1 on 1 trying to be the hero/make the big shot" last night than Q did. Q has shot well in 3 out of the last 5 wins and hasn't really settled for 3's as much as Naji has. i think the most he took in a game is 5 and went 2-5 that game. Scruggs has shown signs of being the guy we want to give the ball to, but i just can't trust it in his hands at crunch time right now. he's more turnover prone than Q is. and i'm not sure how many practices you attend, but how would you know? i'm saying Steele is gonna play the guys who practice the hardest and give him the best chance to win. he believes Q does that. Scruggs also takes himself out of games at times because of stupid fouls. he would play upwards of 35 minutes if he didn't have to sit for foul trouble. that would give Steele a chance to actually rest Naji or Q but he hasn't been able to do that.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am

Once again lack of depth is forcing Steel's hand.Scruggs gets 2 fouls in the first half forcing Q to play a lot.I still would give him a rest in the second half for a few minutes.I know Q is the punching bag for a lot of people and he certainly has some deficiencies in his game.But I think it would be a big loss if the rumors of him not returning next year are true. I know Scruggs played well when Q was out,but it's not his best position.Tandy might end up being great but he's still a freshman.Something to be said for a senior with a lot of experience.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”