Game Thread - SJU 3-9-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
bmuskies

Re: Game Thread - SJU 3-9-19

Postby bmuskies » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 am

Was really impressed how everyone stepped up and played well without Marshall and picked up the big w against St. Johns. Scruggs with the huge game and all the 3 grad transfers playing really well. Steele has this team playing their best ball of the year at the right time. Lets do some damage in the big east tourney now X. X and anyone can win this thing lets go X! :P
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 am

i'm on board with the kind of game Q had. i get it. he's not a great 3-pt shooter and i don't see him taking "step back" 3's, ala James Harden style. however, he does need to be able to keep defenders honest so taking anywhere from 3-4 3's a game is ok. however, he's gotta be able to make 1-2 to them. Goodin's best 3's would be with someone driving and kicking to him, but the problem is, HE is normally the one doing that in our offense. either that or stepping into one after someone got an offensive rebound and kicked it to him.

Q played a very efficient game for us. we need that kind of effort out of him every night. if he can get one of those 3's to go down (or even 2, but i'm not greedy), then great.

my worry is about when Naji comes back - look how well the offense ran when we didn't have someone trying to go 1 on 1 or trying to make that "huge" 3 at times. believe me, Naji has improved, but if he can play the kind of game Q did vs SJU - not forcing the issue and letting the game come to him, then we will be fine. it's when both he and Q get into their "i gotta make a play for this team" mode that our offense looks horrendous.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am

IMO, it's more about turnovers than anything. Yes we have to score, but when we limit TOs to 10 like we did Saturday, we can play with anyone. We are not good enough offensively to give away 17-18 possessions. If Q and Naji can limit TOs, that would be huge and could allow X to make a run in the BE tourney. Not going to be easy as Creighton is a bubble team also as many in this league are, so everyone will be going all out. Let's hope we can get by game one on Thursday.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

agree 150% ole Hoopster. One reason for our 5 game win streak prior to Butler was Naji got scorching hot. Good for him as we like Naji. But, since he will force the issue often during bouts of 'hero ball', that can result in both turnovers and low % shots. Now, when he is hot, then it's an advantage to be forcing the issue a bit. Not so much when he is not, or when he is hurt like the 2nd half vs Butler. Since he is one of our better players and is talented I do not want him playing fearfully. Creighton will indeed be very tough, plus unfortunately, we will not have the Chris Mullin advantage on the sideline. We will be facing a well coached unit with a coach that stays calm and in the moment leading to usually swift and proper adjustments. So X will flat out need to be on top of our game, meaning, finding that elusive balance of being aggressive on Offense without forcing it. Plus shooting well would help. Need our three who handle the ball the most, Scruggs, Q & Naji, to be careful & wise without being tentative. Is that maybe a bit too much to ask........?
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

skyhops wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:09 pm
No Naji no victory
No Naji - no problem.
I thought X played one of their best games of the year against SJU.
And frankly played better without him, IMO.
They shared the sugar as Steve Lavin would say - 19 assists on 28 made FG's or 68% - well above their season average of 56%.
Lot of good ball movement and guys moving without the ball.
The best part was that Goodin had more assists than shot attempts - 7 assists and 6 shot attempts. And only 1 TO.
Goodin and Scruggs shot 3 for 13 from 3 but Welage, Castlin and Harden combined to go 8 for 13.
In 9 games when Harden has made a 3, he is 16 for 27 or 59%
In 8 games where he shot and not made a 3 , he is 0-19.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:02 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am
IMO, it's more about turnovers than anything. Yes we have to score, but when we limit TOs to 10 like we did Saturday, we can play with anyone. We are not good enough offensively to give away 17-18 possessions. If Q and Naji can limit TOs, that would be huge and could allow X to make a run in the BE tourney. Not going to be easy as Creighton is a bubble team also as many in this league are, so everyone will be going all out. Let's hope we can get by game one on Thursday.
X averaged 15 TO's a game during their 5 game winning streak.
The difference was they shot much better from 3- 38% and Marshall shot close to 40% from 3 - about double his season average at the time.
Plus X's defensive efficiency improved significantly during that 5 game stretch.
If Marshall's shots aren't falling, he can't continue to play "hero" ball or more importantly, Steele can't allow him to do that.
The SJU game showed that other guys can step up and contribute if needed.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”