Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: NY Post SJU Game Recap

Postby thecoach » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm

I hear the Chris Mullen clock ticking.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:57 am

Went to the DePaul-St. John’s game last Sunday (3/2), after having watched the Thursday, (2/28) Red Storm game vs. X.

Based upon what we observed during the 2/28 Xavier game, we focused on Coach Mullen, throughout the 3/2 game. Simply put, Coach Mullen wasted plenty of nonsensical time arguing with the referees. There was one time during the game against DePaul that an assistant unsuccessfully sought to get Coach Mullin into the team huddle. Yet, Coach Mullin merely barked at Refs and did not Coach-Up the squad.

His ego clearly causes him to engage in sideline antics with the refs. What is so puzzling is that he lacks strategic coaching decisions. Seems like a “roll the ball out” type Coach.

We all observed the Saturday, 3/9 game. No complaints about Coach Mullin, and and quite pleased glad he coaches St. John’s. Somebody has to be the 10th best Coach in the BE Conference. I nominate Chis Mullin. Is there a second?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:57 am
Went to the DePaul-St. John’s game last Sunday (3/2), after having watched the Thursday, (2/28) Red Storm game vs. X.

Based upon what we observed during the 2/28 Xavier game, we focused on Coach Mullen, throughout the 3/2 game. Simply put, Coach Mullen wasted plenty of nonsensical time arguing with the referees. There was one time during the game against DePaul that an assistant sought to get Coach Mullin into the team huddle. Yet, Coach Mullin merely barked at Refs and did not Coach-Up the squad.

His ego clearly causes him to engage in sideline antics with the refs. What is so puzzling is that he lacks strategic coaching decisions. Seems like a “roll the ball out” type Coach.

We all observed the Saturday, 3/9 game. No complaints about Coach Mullin, though and and quite pleased glad he coaches St. John’s. Somebody has to be the worst Coach in the BE Conference. I nominate Chis Mullin. Is there a second?
Doesn't he reside in your town?

However, he should get credit for a much improved Depaul team this year. I only see him coach a few times a year, but Tony Bennet is really making him look bad.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 am

However, he should get credit for a much improved Depaul team this year. I only see him coach a few times a year, but Tony Bennet is really making him look bad.
Good point. Two weeks ago I probably would have agreed with you.

Watched both DePaul and X defeat St. John’s twice this season. In the second loss to DePaul, Coach Mullin’s squad coughed up a 9 point halftime lead, while Max Strus went off for 36 points in the second half alone (43 for the game). Coach Mullin did little but argue with officials, including during time outs while his team awaited pearls of wisdom and stopping Strus should have been a priority. Looking back, that is pretty much what Coach Mullin does game after game. Appears that there are those in New York who are beginning to recognize his defeciencies.

Agreed, Coach Leitao is not much better, so whichever you select for that “honor” would be defensible. DePaul, met, or exceeded expectations (admittedly, that is an easy bar to reach) this season, St. John’s did not. DePaul played better at the end of the season, St. John’s did not.

Since both are bad, your reasons for thinking it is Coach Leitao are as valid, if not more so, than my nomination of Coach Mullin.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 am

Good point. Two weeks ago I probably would have agreed with you.

Watched both DePaul and X defeat St. John’s twice this season. In the second loss to DePaul, Coach Mullin’s squad coughed up a 9 point halftime lead, while Max Strus went off for 36 points in the second half alone (43 for the game). Coach Mullin did little but argue with officials, including during time outs while his team awaited pearls of wisdom and stopping Strus should have been a priority. Looking back, that is pretty much what Coach Mullin does game after game. Appears that there are those in New York who are beginning to recognize his defeciencies.

Agreed, Coach Leitao is not much better, so whichever you select for that “honor” would be defensible. DePaul, met, or exceeded expectations (admittedly, that is an easy bar to reach) this season, St. John’s did not. DePaul played better at the end of the season, St. John’s did not.

Since both are bad, your reasons for thinking it is Coach Leitao are as valid, if not more so, than my nomination of Coach Mullin.
I misconstrued your question. I agree Mullins clearly is the least desirable coach to have. I meant to say Leitao would be the second. St. Johns has a pretty talented roster, relatively speaking. I was telling my brother, son, and nephew during the game how many poor, early in the shot clock attempts St. Johns took, bailing out a team with little depth, and whose best perimeter player is foul prone. Even at full strength, when X plays two bigs, they can create many advantageous matchups against X, as Nova did in Philly where Jones was caught having to try and stay in front of Paschal a few times.

I told them I thought the Johnnies have the best one thru six in the BE, and my brother mentioned that they have four top 70 players. That doesn't include Herron either, who can really score. Nova may have more highly rated players, but most of theirs are freshmen.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 pm

That is funny. I’ll admit, sometimes my references lend themselves to misinterpretation.

Thanks for the further insight into the St. John’s roster. Must have been enjoyable for the four of you to be at the game together.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 pm

thecoach wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Ticking for what?
His record at SJU has improved each year so far.
2016 8-24
2017 14-19
2018 16-17
2019 20-11 end of regular season

He's a living legend at SJU.
He's not going anywhere at this point unless he doesn't want to coach anymore...of course coach is a pretty generous term
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 pm
thecoach wrote:
Ticking for what?
2016 8-24
2017 14-19
2018 16-17

He's not going anywhere at this point unless he doesn't want to coach anymore...of course coach is a pretty generous term
Not only at SJU. Give credit to his past also.
https://www.nba.com/history/legends/pro ... ris-mullin
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Shadow wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 pm
thecoach wrote:
Ticking for what?
2016 8-24
2017 14-19
2018 16-17

Not only at SJU. Give credit to his past also.
https://www.nba.com/history/legends/pro ... ris-mullin
Yes, he is one of the all time greats.
The Golden St Warriors RunTMC team was a fun to watch.
I think Mullen has kind of adopted that style of play - no true center but a lot of wing players plus a PG.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”