David West won't

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

David West won't

Postby SC in DC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm

be recruiting any players for X in the future.
Just heard part of an interview on "Power Lunch on CNBC". What I got out of it is he (and ....) are starting a summer league for hi-school, 18-23 yr olds and paying them and letting them sign with agents and then giving them educational opportunities (?) after the leagues winds up in September. Going for digital exposure, not TV contracts. I missed the beginning of it, but I think that was the gist. At the end they asked him about taking the vet's minimum, and if it was worth it., He said yes and the coach that taught him the most was Pops. (wasn't he only in San Antonio for one yr?)
Anyway, wonder what the NCAA thinks of this. He cited the inequality to the players as a reason for this. Also wonder if this can pull a top level kid away from Duke, NC etc. from chasing a national championship for one year.
bluegrass

Re: David West won't

Postby bluegrass » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 pm

I just don't see any top level players choosing this route as opposed to one year at Duke , UK et al.A guy like Zion will seen by more people playing one year in college. His league sounds like the G league but you have to go to school.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm

I thot G-league, but younger--also not sure you have to go to school, I missed that part of discussion.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm
be recruiting any players for X in the future.
Just heard part of an interview on "Power Lunch on CNBC". What I got out of it is he (and ....) are starting a summer league for hi-school, 18-23 yr olds and paying them and letting them sign with agents and then giving them educational opportunities (?) after the leagues winds up in September. Going for digital exposure, not TV contracts. I missed the beginning of it, but I think that was the gist. At the end they asked him about taking the vet's minimum, and if it was worth it., He said yes and the coach that taught him the most was Pops. (wasn't he only in San Antonio for one yr?)
Anyway, wonder what the NCAA thinks of this. He cited the inequality to the players as a reason for this. Also wonder if this can pull a top level kid away from Duke, NC etc. from chasing a national championship for one year.
There was an article in WSJ about this new venture for DWest.
If I can post the link to the article I will.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”