Mack/Louisville out

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mumuskie87

Re: Mack/Louisville out

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:57 am

Yea..the Michigan example is not comparable in that I believe Frieder (sp?) had already agreed to coach Az St...meaning signed a contract.
Still I love Bo's response - "A Michigan man is going to coach Michigan".

So X got bounced last year from the tournament on Sunday, March 18th.
Mack met that next Saturday - the 24th - with the U of L AD.
Hired on the Tuesday the 27th.
If anyone thinks that was his first contact with U of L, then there is plenty of swamp land in Forida that you can look to buy.
This isn't going for a job interview to flip burgers at McDonalds.
As has been noted, the deal was already done.
The meeting with the Ad was just for show...to try and create an appearance by Mack that he was just talking to U of L for the first time. But he had one foot out the door the entire season.
The people that got screwed were the players on X's possibly first F4 team. Feel bad for Tre, JP, Big Sean and all of the others. They deserved 100% engaged coach but didn't get it.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:06 am

Xavier Bob made a post back in January 2018 that perfectly sums up the situation.
Here it is -

"Haven’t posted in quite a while. I fully expect Chris to look long and hard at Louisville, he will make the decision he feels his best for him and his family. As a former administrator I hope negotiations haven’t started, even preliminary ones, to me this would pose a distraction. Until the end of the season I need 100% of my coach. I don’t know what is happening or even pretend to but if this is true it is disappointing. I understand that this probably happens frequently but that doesn’t make it ok."

No further comments needed.
I have zero respect for Mack at this point.
Actions speak louder than words.
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 am

When I wrote that post I had heard through very good sources that those things were going on. I expressed my hope that this couldn’t be true. Unfortunately from things I’ve heard/gleaned about the entire situation my hopes were incorrect. Enough said.
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 am

XavierBob wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 am
When I wrote that post I had heard through very good sources that those things were going on. I expressed my hope that this couldn’t be true. Unfortunately from things I’ve heard/gleaned about the entire situation my hopes were incorrect. Enough said.
100% agree...I'm done with it.
Al McGuire
Al McGuire
FickforX

Postby FickforX » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Best thing in the tournament Judas Mack goes down
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:37 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:44 am
X-Expert wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:09 am
I still don't understand how they are saying Mack exceeded expectations. four of their starters were rated 71 or better coming out of high school. I think he did a decent job changing the culture as the fans seem to be happy but it isn't like he inherited a talent mess.

hate to say it but would say the same for Steele who I like a lot. Scruggs, marshall, Goodin, and Jones were rated 103 or better coming out of high school. both coaches needed the year to get acclimated perhaps.
More specifically,

I received this info. from a friend in L-Ville, who is no great fan of Mack. He wanted Billy Donovan.

V.J. King 5 star
Malik Willams: a 4-star officially but 5 star with another site (Rivals?)
Darius Perry 4 star
Jordan Nwora 4 star
Stephen Enoch 4 star

They have a couple other 4 stars, but this looks like the composite of a top 10-15 team on paper. I still think he did a good job, and may not have awakened on third base, but he definitely rounded 2nd, and was headed to third.
this is also another reason why these recruiting "ratings" are a joke. one site has them at this rating, another at that rating, and sometimes they're all over the map. kind of like statistics. you can make them fit whatever narrative you want.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:59 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:37 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
X-Expert wrote:
I still don't understand how they are saying Mack exceeded expectations. four of their starters were rated 71 or better coming out of high school. I think he did a decent job changing the culture as the fans seem to be happy but it isn't like he inherited a talent mess.

hate to say it but would say the same for Steele who I like a lot. Scruggs, marshall, Goodin, and Jones were rated 103 or better coming out of high school. both coaches needed the year to get acclimated perhaps.
More specifically,

I received this info. from a friend in L-Ville, who is no great fan of Mack. He wanted Billy Donovan.

V.J. King 5 star
Darius Perry 4 star
Jordan Nwora 4 star
Stephen Enoch 4 star

They have a couple other 4 stars, but this looks like the composite of a top 10-15 team on paper. I still think he did a good job, and may not have awakened on third base, but he definitely rounded 2nd, and was headed to third.
this is also another reason why these recruiting "ratings" are a joke. one site has them at this rating, another at that rating, and sometimes they're all over the map. kind of like statistics. you can make them fit whatever narrative you want.
I would agree skip but to have this many 4 star and 1 5 star, that is indicative of some talent. I guarantee you that Duke, NC, Zags, and KY have 4 and 5 stars (mostly 5) and they do translate to real success. I would look at the other teams that recruited these kids and they are all top tier programs. King was a McDonalds All-American; Malik Williams (27th ranked player) final list included UCLA, Mich St, Indiana, and Purdue; the last three were ranked between 71-88 on 247. Again, i reiterate Mack did a decent job rebuilding culture but to say he exceeded expectations given the talent he apparently just leads me to believe that these players either really underachieved last year or the Louisville fanbase needed something to cheer.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
X-Expert wrote:

More specifically,

V.J. King 5 star
Darius Perry 4 star
Jordan Nwora 4 star
Stephen Enoch 4 star

LLS,

Even on X's team this year, the most talented players (though not necessarily the best players) were guys with the highest ratings: Scruggs, Marshall, Goodin, and Jones. Hankins was the best player on the team, because of his production along with his high ball I.Q. and unselfishness, but I think he was injured most of his junior or senior year in high school. I doubt he would have been a top 100 player anyway, but there are exceptions. However, if you look at the teams remaining, I challenge you to name one without at least four top 100 players.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
X-Expert wrote:

More specifically,

V.J. King 5 star
Darius Perry 4 star
Jordan Nwora 4 star
Stephen Enoch 4 star

Thats because there is money changing hands to influence rankings.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”